Hunger when STUDYING

Options
sweetiecorn
sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
Ow my brain.

So whenever I have to study for finals (like right now) I get mega hungry and just want to munch munch munch. If thinking burnt calories...

Replies

• pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    I was the same way so is my kid in college. Have you tried regular old popped pop corn? My daughter puts some olive oil on it instead of butter. You can try and sprinkle some truvia on it is a low cal snack and a good study snack!

Michelle
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Sounds like boredom to me. Try cups of tea? X
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Study Bordom is why I gained 2 stone. I ate a lot of biscuits and energy drinks. Maybe try small fruit like Barry's n grapes. And drinking lots of water keeps me more awake instead of the energy drinks. Good luck with ur examsx
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I always study with a big bottle of water and a large mug of plain green tea. The water helps me feel fuller and the green tea is helpful in killing sugar cravings. I tend to start my studying with a solid meal (dinner or lunch) so that I feel satisfied and full when I start. I tend to keep my concentration longer then. Chewing gum tends to help too.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Berries I mean!
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    herbal/fruit teas are my friend...especially now with a week till the beginning of hell (month of final exams!)

you may get bloated on water water if like me you end up with 5 cups of tea in the space of an hour
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same and am going through exams right now, too. I always keep liter water bottles by me (I have two next to me right now) so that I have something to do when I get bored. I put crystal light powder in one of them so that it tastes really sweet and is mentally rewarding to drink (water doesn't always do it for me). If I seriously can't stop eating, my favorite thing to do is just up and leave my house! I go to Panera Bread or Barnes and Noble - some place that has a little cafe that is conducive to studying (Starbucks, Corner Bakery, etc etc). I'll sit at those places for several hours and since there's not a free-for-all pantry or fridge around, I don't have any temptations. Plus, I manage to get a lot more studying done since I don't have other distractions. Panera bread is especially good if you go between 11-2pm, because they shut off your internet after 30 minutes and then you REALLY don't have distractions :D
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    celery and/or carrot sticks?
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hardboiled eggwhites (not the yolk) will give you a protein boost with minimal calories. Celery sticks, carrot sticks, other crunchy fresh vegetables, plain popcorn all will give crunch with minimal calories. Herbal teas will give a comforting feeling without the calories. If you MUST sweeten them, try low-glycemic agave nectar or coconut sugar for the sweet without the blood sugar spike. Get up and do some moving around for study breaks, to ease the tension that might be developing, and causing food cravings. Good luck!
  • fitlittlefittie
    Options
    Yess going through the exact same thing and just posted about it. I agree that getting out of the house helps a lot (but late at night I can't do that). Water/tea only helps to a certain extent for me, but will try out the other choices, esp gum!
  • xtasa25
    xtasa25 Posts: 12
    Options
    I go through the same thing.
    BUT, my problem is I tend to eat when I'm bored.
    And studying=boredom, which in turn causes me to eat haha.

So whenever I study I get some blueberries or a small snack to keep the eating to a minimum!
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    haha thanks guys! I took the boiled egg suggestion and it works really well for me, especially when I use my new egg slicey thing.

Though I had an exam yesterday, and took in MEGASNACKS they must have thought I was just the fattest ever haha
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yep! Food as an avoidance behavior. When this happens, I drink a cup of coffee or eat my already planned lunch or dinner early. Or, get some low cal snacks like berries, popcorn or veggies. Good luck!
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I munch on carrot sticks or loose granola... takes the anxiety (because it's not real hunger!) away :smile:
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I see days of 838 cals and 1000 cals in your diary.
    Thats low low low.
    So eat some more, the number mfp give U.