I can't believe I even considered giving up weights!

Options
A few weeks ago, after yet another ache/pain (the tendons/joint related kind, not the good kind) I briefly considered giving up weight training and focusing on something more "age appropriate," like pilates or yoga . . .

The overwhelming advice I got from MFP members was - DON'T GIVE UP! ADAPT!

Now, just a few sessions in with a new personal trainer, I'm modifying my program to meet my body's changing needs and feeling GREAT again! I'm taking care of my joints and tendons and the post workout pain is back in my muscles where is should be.

Thank you MFP members, for stopping me from doing something crazy!

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
    Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    That's great news! :flowerforyou:
  • SoulEater7
    SoulEater7 Posts: 31
    Options
    Fantastic, good move with the PT,

was it simply your body adapting overtime, naturally by getting stronger or was it a routine switch up? lighter weights, easier on the joints etc? I'm interested to know as people with similar issues ask me this question quite often.

My response is usually to start at a lower weight and focus on form, oh and to listen to your body :)
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Adapt to be adept...that's my motto. Well done on not giving up, very happy for you :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago, after yet another ache/pain (the tendons/joint related kind, not the good kind) I briefly considered giving up weight training and focusing on something more "age appropriate," like pilates or yoga . . .

The overwhelming advice I got from MFP members was - DON'T GIVE UP! ADAPT!

Now, just a few sessions in with a new personal trainer, I'm modifying my program to meet my body's changing needs and feeling GREAT again! I'm taking care of my joints and tendons and the post workout pain is back in my muscles where is should be.

Thank you MFP members, for stopping me from doing something crazy!
    Funny you mentioned this because there was member who about to do the same when I also showed them modified versions of chest exercises so he could continue.
    Sometimes getting the objective view works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Fantastic, good move with the PT,

was it simply your body adapting overtime, naturally by getting stronger or was it a routine switch up? lighter weights, easier on the joints etc? I'm interested to know as people with similar issues ask me this question quite often.

My response is usually to start at a lower weight and focus on form, oh and to listen to your body :)

I've basically been training with a program copied from a (male) body builder several years younger than I am. He's good, so I had a lot of the right ideas, but I was bulking muscles without training for endurance as well and straining my joints and tendons . . . The new trainer is helping me tighten my form, use lighter weights/increased reps, and alternating bulking days with endurance days.
  • space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    good for you!

I've briefly considered it as well but for different reasons. Mainly because I could lose the weight I want to lose faster if I stuck to cardio.

But, I love weights, and in the long run, my body will look better and perform better. Win WIN.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I was having joint/tendon pain in my elbows bad from trying to do chin-ups, my goal was more than one in a row. I finally "gave up" on my dream bc my elbows just were bothering me too bad. I think after two weeks of not trying at all, I gave it a hesitant try....and guess what.... I could do two in a row with no pain!! I think sometimes as hard as it is to take a break, a good, real break is in order, not a quit forever, just a decent rest. Glad you found what worked for you.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    What did you do differently to care for your joints? I started barbell lifting 6 weeks ago and promptly got tendinitis in my shoulders so all pushing exercises are on hold while they heal. Been icing them and taking ibuprofen. And stretching after I warm up and do my pulling lifts. I was to the point where I could not lift my arms over my head. Now I can bench an olympic bar. And I really worked on my bench form to keep my shoulders from popping all the time. All seems to be working but I would appreciate your inputs.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found something that works for you. :smile:
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    What did you do differently to care for your joints? I started barbell lifting 6 weeks ago and promptly got tendinitis in my shoulders so all pushing exercises are on hold while they heal. Been icing them and taking ibuprofen. And stretching after I warm up and do my pulling lifts. I was to the point where I could not lift my arms over my head. Now I can bench an olympic bar. And I really worked on my bench form to keep my shoulders from popping all the time. All seems to be working but I would appreciate your inputs.

If you were hurting that bad, seeing a physical therapist is my best advice. As long as you have a referral from your doctor, your insurance will probably pay for it.

My elbow pain was minor, but about a year ago when my knees were really hurting, I went to see an orthopedic surgeon, who referred me to a great physical therapist.

Turns out I've deteriorating and frayed cartilage in my knees from years of high impact exercise and my physical therapist helped me to modify my lower body workout to exclude squats, lunges and leg extensions and replace them with joint friendly alternatives. As an added bonus, she turned me on to several core strengthening and balance exercises that will help me protect my joints with proper body alignment in future, and even gave me the preview on how I might hurt myself with a heavy lifting upper body routine (rotator cuff injuries are likely) and how to avoid them. (She missed the elbows though.)

If you don't want to go the medical advice route yet, REST. REALLY REST . . . I know it's hard to leave the weights alone for a week, let alone two, but in the long run, it's worth it. Let whatever went wrong fully heal. Then get some advice from an experienced personal trainer. Chances are, you won't be the first person he/she has come across with the sort of shoulder pain you're having.

I hope that helps!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options

Oh, and to answer your question . . . I needed to alternate my bulking training with strength/endurance training using some lighter weights and higher reps, as well as tighten my form. I was developing muscle mass, but not doing the right work to strengthen all the supporting tendons - and my poor form was aggravating the problem.
  • vickilgreshik
    vickilgreshik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've lifted for 14 years now with a few off intervals here and there. I can tell when I'm not doing strength training because I don't feel as good. It's my go-to left-brained exercise. I've had a few bouts of biceps tendonitis when I've overextended or tried to get crazy. And yes, I invariably have to take some time off. Being very compliant regarding the physical therapy, which is harder than one would think, helps a lot. Getting some good training advice is even better. I've learned a few tricks from various trainers over the years, most of which have helped me adapt to some cronic problems. But if anyone can figure out how I can continue to run with nagging Achilles tendonitis, I'd love to hear it.