Replies

• JustMajor
    JustMajor Posts: 17
    Options
    bump
  • cutiemexiz
    cutiemexiz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I put 1 or 2 handfuls of spinach, piece of aloe vera, an apple, oatmeal, and some honey if needed (plus water of course).
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    okay so i see all of them have bananas in the recipe. I loath bananas and can only manage the orange strawberry banana juice by dole to get my potassium intake. So my question would be... how strong is the banana flavor? I am really picky and would love to try one of the smoothies to get my veggies and fruits in.
  • anyamb
    anyamb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    :)
  • fitlittlefittie
    Options
    I never thought I'd say this, but I look forward to my green smoothie everyday. Seriously, it's the one thing I go to sleep for. I used to the basic strawberry/banana/spinach deal. Tbh I actually became even more basic, but here's what I put in now to make the perfect creamy thin mint smoothie (I swear to god it tastes like thin mints): frozen banana, cacoa nibs, peppermint extract (or fresh mint), a bit of almond milk, scoop of protein powder (I use vanilla, but chocolate would be even better), lots of spinach! Sometimes, I will add flax seed/whatever I have on hand for some added nutrition.
    best.thing.ever.
    Although I have to say it doesn't keep me full for thaaat long as opposed to what I've heard others say about their green smoothies - usually about 2.5 hours so maybe I should be adding oats or something else.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    What a great variety of recipes. Bumping this for later!
  • laynabs
    laynabs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the banana flavor is pretty strong, mego07. I can usually taste it over the other fruits/ingredients. If you really hate the flavor, you could probably swap the bananas out for yogurt and get a similar texture.
  • bmf9812
    bmf9812 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've found that spinach is usually the best green to use because it's easily disguisible (sp?). I like to do: spinach, half a banana (depending on size), 1/3 c plain or vanilla Greek yogurt, 1/3c frozen pineapple chunks, vanilla almond milk and a slash of oj for sweetness.
  • dirtyrose2007
    dirtyrose2007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    I just made my first green smoothie this morning and loved it:

kale (handful)
    1/2 cucumber
    1 carrot
    1 stalk celery
    parsley
    1/2 Fuji apple
    water and crushed ice.
  • IAM125lbs
    IAM125lbs Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like to use a tropical fruit blend or just blue berries and black berries....orange is good with cilantro but orange with berries is a no.
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I made my first green smoothie this morning - handfull of kale, 2 handsfull of baby spinach, 1 banana, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1/3 cup of blackberries, 1/3 cup of raspberries, 1 cup water.

Looking foward to trying some of the other combinations posted in this thread.
  • rachaelbmh
    rachaelbmh Posts: 54
    Options
    I did a green smoothie challenge a few weeks ago and shared 7 recipes on my blog.

If you're interested, I can message you the link.
  • cutiemexiz
    cutiemexiz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd love the link :)
  • terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    HAVE a juicer, hate to clean it. Therefore, i use my blender and powdered greens.
    either Dr. Ben Kim's or Erins super green's from Bulk Herb Store.
    i also use organic beet powder from BHS.
    then i add
    frozen banana ( always )
    mixed berries or strawberrrys ( sometimes fresh, usually frozen )
    love pineapple if i have it.
    coconut milk or almond vanilla milk
    1 Tablespoon of concentrate OJ
    and sometimes and whole range free whole egg
    1 Tblspoon coconut oil.

i love smoothies because they are so Versatile and quick.
  • pkpols
    pkpols Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just recieved my blendtec blender and I love it! I made my first green smoothie this morning. I put spinach, kale, celery, 1/2 avocado, apple, pear, handful of mixed frozen berries, water and ice. I also added 1/2 teaspoon of Splenda but next time I will skip the splenda. :)
  • swangwcb
    swangwcb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamix and usually add spinach or kale, an apple or banana, a few baby carrots, a couple cloves of garlic, a finger of ginger, water, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder, which makes it taste pretty decent!

I freeze the greens so they last longer and they are nice and crispy and add volume to the shake.

As for the fruit, I usually just add one piece because the protein powder already helps with the taste.

It's turned into an almost daily routine for me, and I'm loving it!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Before adding in any sweetners, try adding in half a frozen banana (or a whole one). For me, that's a must! It cuts the taste of the greens and makes it more smoothie-like!

My usual go-to green smoothie is:
    spinach or kale
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 cup blueberries
    some sort of protein powder
    water or almond milk

If I use water and a flavourless protein powder, then I'll add in a splash of vanilla extract. I find I can usually taste the kale, but I don't mind it so much, but I can never taste the spinach. And if I'm feeling like something extra sweet, I'll throw in two medjool dates (pits removed, obviously!).