what do you think of my plan...

Options
I have decided to change my plan of eating since low calorie eating only seems to work for so long and it makes me want to binge and have no energy. I have emotional eating problems so if I get too hungry it is NOT good. I do not want to do TDEE-20% (even though I have researched it a lot and see it works for a lot of people here) since my workout schedule varies so much and I love tracking my workouts (motivates me). I decided to do this to come up with my new eating plan to lose weight. Please let me know what you think:
Weigh weekly on a body composition scale (I bought the EatSmart Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Scale) and get weight and body fat %, plug into katch mcardle formula (most accurate I think) and get BMR. Set BMR in MFP custom settings as my net calorie goal (reset this weekly for the most accuracy) and then make sure Macros say 30-30-40. Use my polar heart rate monitor (very accurate)for all exercise sessions, record, and eat back all exercise calories daily.

is this a good or bad plan? I want to be as accurate as possible and as healthy as I can. I am very sedentary with my job and need to lose 70-80 lbs.
Here is my workout schedule that I try to stick to:

Mondays: Walk dogs one hour, 1 hour pilates/yoga fusion class at local gym
Tuesday: Walk dogs one hour, 1 hour with personal workout trainer (she does metabolic training so very intense)
Wednesday: walk dogs one hour, Body knockout class at local gym
Thursday: walk dogs one hour, personal trainer again for an hour
Friday: walk dogs for one hour, workout of my choice (whatever I am in the mood for)
Saturday: typical gym workout -weights/cardio 11/2 hours
Sunday: day off but maybe walk dogs if they need it

The reason I walk my dogs daily is because they are huge dogs and eat up our house if I don't, lol. I also figure I am so sedentary with my job it helps with my activity. I don't always do all this ....this is what I strive to do and usually achieve half of it, lol. I love to exercise...helps with my anxiety and overeating problems.
I just hope I lose weight by eating more.....

Replies

• johnknappcc
    johnknappcc Posts: 28
    Options
    I wouldn't eat back all of my calories, what would be the point of working out? Besides, maybe, the obvious heart benefits.

However, sounds like you got the data covered, so if you see a pattern at some point that it isn't working, alter your calorie intake, say by 100 calorie increments.

Also, I'd add some body measurements, eg, waist, etc, since you may be gaining muscle with those workouts but your clothes will be fitting better.

Also, I was using the polar ft60, and I think it was a bit generous on the calorie estimations, as well as the elliptical, just another reason not to eat back all cals.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You can do TDEE - 20% and just don't account for exercise in calculating your TDEE. Then you still add your exercise cals onto what you're eating.

TDEE without exercise cals calculated in, will still be higher than BMR as it accounts for your daily activities such as work, and such.
  • larovers
    larovers Posts: 100
    Options
    I have decided to change my plan of eating since low calorie eating only seems to work for so long and it makes me want to binge and have no energy. I have emotional eating problems so if I get too hungry it is NOT good. I do not want to do TDEE-20% (even though I have researched it a lot and see it works for a lot of people here) since my workout schedule varies so much and I love tracking my workouts (motivates me). I decided to do this to come up with my new eating plan to lose weight. Please let me know what you think:
    Weigh weekly on a body composition scale (I bought the EatSmart Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Scale) and get weight and body fat %, plug into katch mcardle formula (most accurate I think) and get BMR. Set BMR in MFP custom settings as my net calorie goal (reset this weekly for the most accuracy) and then make sure Macros say 30-30-40. Use my polar heart rate monitor (very accurate)for all exercise sessions, record, and eat back all exercise calories daily.

is this a good or bad plan? I want to be as accurate as possible and as healthy as I can. I am very sedentary with my job and need to lose 70-80 lbs.

Tuesday: Walk dogs one hour, 1 hour with personal workout trainer (she does metabolic training so very intense)
    Friday: walk dogs for one hour, workout of my choice (whatever I am in the mood for)

The reason I walk my dogs daily is because they are huge dogs and eat up our house if I don't, lol. I also figure I am so sedentary with my job it helps with my activity. I don't always do all this ....this is what I strive to do and usually achieve half of it, lol. I love to exercise...helps with my anxiety and overeating problems.

Oh yes....my personal trainer takes measurements weekly for me.
    but why not eat back all the exercise calories? seems like everyone here SAYS to eat them back....especially if I am using my BMR as my net....is that not right?
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I got confused with all those percentages you were saying. I think though that it sounds good as long you eat those calories cleanly (lean proteins especially turkey based or chicken and good fats) that you're allowed and you eat those exercise calories back, at least half back if not all. I'm allowed 1800 calories for my weight and height and when I exercise I try eating those too, sometimes not very successfully but I try. But I think what also helps is eating as the day goes. I learned to always eat my breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack and when I'm hungry I'll grab a snack. I'm basically eating all day and it's not difficult for me because I have a job where I sit alot too. So a little ziplock bag full of carrots is a great slow treat to eat as I sit there. It used to be anything I could find. And I used to binge because I would skip meals and be so hungry I had to eat anything. So also consider planning ur meals. It becomes fun after a while planning your meals, especially your lunch bag for work. Love filling mine with lets say a turkey and cheese sandwich using sandwich thins with a apple, some baby carrots and even a special k treat in case I get hungry in the hours I'm there. Have fun with it.
  • larovers
    Options
    You can do TDEE - 20% and just don't account for exercise in calculating your TDEE. Then you still add your exercise cals onto what you're eating.

TDEE without exercise cals calculated in, will still be higher than BMR as it accounts for your daily activities such as work, and such.

Well I am trying to net my BMR because my TDEE at sedentary but eating back my exercise calories seems like too much food...am I wrong?
    I have been researching this stuff all weekend, lol.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat back all of my calories, what would be the point of working out? Besides, maybe, the obvious heart benefits.

To avoid creating to big of a deficit, it is best to try and eat most if not all exercise calories back. Benefits to working out:

Cardio : heart health
    Weights/Strength Training: Lower BF%, stronger (not bulky, unless you purposely bulk), losing inches even if weight hasn't changed much, ect

You don't need to workout to lose weight. The plan above already has a deficit built in, which should cause weight loss. If the deficit gets too big, you can harm your body.

I follow a similar plan to the OP and eat back almost all my exercise calories (not necessarily on the day I burn them). I've also lost a decent amount of weight and don't see any reason to not eat the exercise calories back. I actually didn't eat them back for a few days, just to see how I'd feel, and I felt like crap after a few days. I was extremely tired and had to take a nap just to make it through the day. So for me it was just a really bad idea.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Oh yes....my personal trainer takes measurements weekly for me.
    but why not eat back all the exercise calories? seems like everyone here SAYS to eat them back....especially if I am using my BMR as my net....is that not right?

If you're eating at your BMR then I'd say yes, eat back your exercise calories.
  • KAYRRIE
    Options

However, sounds like you got the data covered, so if you see a pattern at some point that it isn't working, alter your calorie intake, say by 100 calorie increments.

Also, I'd add some body measurements, eg, waist, etc, since you may be gaining muscle with those workouts but your clothes will be fitting better.

Also, I was using the polar ft60, and I think it was a bit generous on the calorie estimations, as well as the elliptical, just another reason not to eat back all cals.

The reason to eat back those calories is to keep fueling the body. Basically lets say you had 1500 calories and you burned 500, technically that brings you down to 1000, minus the 500 your body needed. It's basically replacing those calories you burned away. The amount of calories you need per day cover the amount your body needs to operate you healthily that is. In other words, lets say you knew you were going on a long road trip but only filled your car half way with gas, soon you'll be running on fumes with half a trip left to go. Your car starts working harder to keep it together. Hence eating back the calories. If you don't refuel your body, it gets nervous and starts storing what fat you haven't burned off just to protect itself. That's what causes you not to see weight drop sometimes cause your body put more fat away where you just burned it off cause it wants those extra calories. I hope I explained it well.
  • KAYRRIE
    Options

Well I am trying to net my BMR because my TDEE at sedentary but eating back my exercise calories seems like too much food...am I wrong?
    I have been researching this stuff all weekend, lol.

lol, I know how you feel. I only learned all this a few weeks ago myself. When I started off I was aiming for the least calories intake possible and I was miserable because I was always hungry. After the research I have been doing amazing and I'm never hungry because I'm always eating. You can see how much too on my diary. At first it seems like alot but it's only cause your not used to it. When you get used to it you're going to be like, how did I get by before. It's really amazing.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    First off, there's no need to do body fat measurements weekly on a digital scale. This needlessly complicates your life because of the significant deviation between what a digital scale says your bf% is and what it actually is.

Additionally, the change from week to week is likely to be nearly imperceptible. Perhaps if you wanted to do that every month, it would be worth it, but as it is, your desire to be as accurate as possible, though it is good, is a little overzealous for what you are working with, in my opinion.

How long do you think you will keep up with daily classes and sessions at the gym, REALISTICALLY? I go to the gym 3-4 times per week for an hour, which is sustainable for me.

Finally, you probably should not use your BMR as your net intake, as that is the absolute minimum calories required to keep your organs functioning, let alone fueling all those walks and workouts. Find your sedentary or lightly active TDEE and then eat back all your exercise calories.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    First off, there's no need to do body fat measurements weekly on a digital scale. This needlessly complicates your life because of the significant deviation between what a digital scale says your bf% is and what it actually is.

Additionally, the change from week to week is likely to be nearly imperceptible. Perhaps if you wanted to do that every month, it would be worth it, but as it is, your desire to be as accurate as possible, though it is good, is a little overzealous for what you are working with, in my opinion.

How long do you think you will keep up with daily classes and sessions at the gym, REALISTICALLY? I go to the gym 3-4 times per week for an hour, which is sustainable for me.

Finally, you probably should not use your BMR as your net intake, as that is the absolute minimum calories required to keep your organs functioning, let alone fueling all those walks and workouts. Find your sedentary or lightly active TDEE and then eat back all your exercise calories.

I agree with the above.
  • smcs1222
    smcs1222 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Too complicatd for me! Kudos to you if you can keep up!

I went to a medical weight loss clinic (only because I know the owner and it was free) and the NP had me have my Vitamin D, Vitamin B and Thyroid levels checked. D&B were almost depleted, and my TSH was through the roof (Low thyroid function).

She put me on 50,000units of Vitamin D weekly for 6 weeks (prescription), gives me the weekly Vitamin B injections and my Primary care doctor increased my thyroid medication (history of low thyroid) for one week to get me caught up - I now just take an extra 1/2 tab every Sunday.

She ALSO recommended "The 8 hour diet". Basically, for 3-5 days out of the week, I only eat for 8 consecutive hours a day. I work nights, so it works best on my work days - I can get th 3-5 days in easily. For the other 2-4 days, I try to condense my eating into the 8 hours, but don't stress about it. Whether doing the 8 hours or not, I still stick to the 1,200-1,300 caloric intake daily (on a weekend vacation recently, I didn't count calories at all and gained only 2 lbs just to have it fall off [and thensome] once returning to the plan). I've done some reading up on the 8 hour diet and it is indicated and effective for plateau periods.

With all of this combined, I have lost 11lbs in 4 weeks.

So...before doing anything complicated - have your Vitamin D & B levels checked as well as your thyroid function. Then maybe incorporate [the very simple] 8 hour diet.

Hopefully you'll have the same success that I have!
  • larovers
    Options

I have never heard to take the TDEE at sedentary (mine would be 2000 or so) and eat those back a day...seems that would be far too many calories???? All the info I read on here said to take your BMR as net and eat back all the calories to achieve the same TDEE thing. My BMR now is like 1568 and if I worked out I ususally burn 500-600 calories per day and then I eat all those back and still netting 1568. Yea I guess I could just eat 1568 and not workout but I want heart health, body fat lowered and to build strength...plus it helps my anxiety and desire to emotionally eat...the more I exercise.
  • larovers
    Options
    I got confused with all those percentages you were saying. I think though that it sounds good as long you eat those calories cleanly (lean proteins especially turkey based or chicken and good fats) that you're allowed and you eat those exercise calories back, at least half back if not all. I'm allowed 1800 calories for my weight and height and when I exercise I try eating those too, sometimes not very successfully but I try. But I think what also helps is eating as the day goes. I learned to always eat my breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack and when I'm hungry I'll grab a snack. I'm basically eating all day and it's not difficult for me because I have a job where I sit alot too. So a little ziplock bag full of carrots is a great slow treat to eat as I sit there. It used to be anything I could find. And I used to binge because I would skip meals and be so hungry I had to eat anything. So also consider planning ur meals. It becomes fun after a while planning your meals, especially your lunch bag for work. Love filling mine with lets say a turkey and cheese sandwich using sandwich thins with a apple, some baby carrots and even a special k treat in case I get hungry in the hours I'm there. Have fun with it.

sorry if I confused you. I was talking about the TDEE thing I keep reading about all over this site. Thanks for you advice...good ideas on snacks and planning meals. I always eat very clean.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

I have never heard to take the TDEE at sedentary (mine would be 2000 or so) and eat those back a day...seems that would be far too many calories???? All the info I read on here said to take your BMR as net and eat back all the calories to achieve the same TDEE thing. My BMR now is like 1568 and if I worked out I ususally burn 500-600 calories per day and then I eat all those back and still netting 1568. Yea I guess I could just eat 1568 and not workout but I want heart health, body fat lowered and to build strength...plus it helps my anxiety and desire to emotionally eat...the more I exercise.

If your concern is that you want to be as accurate as possible, you should know there are two ways to calculate TDEE.

One is by setting your activity level accurately. For instance, I work out about 5 hours per week. That makes me moderately active. I can find my moderately active TDEE, subtract 20%, eat that number of calories, and not worry about eating back exercise calories.

OR

I can calculate my TDEE as sedentary and subtract 20%, add in my calories burned every day, and then eat sedentary TDEE-20%, plus all burned calories. Either way, you end up averaging the same number of calories eaten. The method you choose is up to you.

Working out is healthy, don't decide not to work out, but you want to make sure that you don't burn out, too. Working out daily is more than most people can handle without starting to skip for whatever reason and slowly falling off the wagon. Choose something easy and sustainable so that you will stick with it for as long as possible.

Finally, don't be scared of calories. The more you have to lose, the more you can safely eat and still lose weight, while feeling satisfied and happy. Don't deprive yourself, enjoy the fact that you can lose weight and still eat plenty.
  • larovers
    Options

I thought the polar watch (I think I have the F7) is the most accurate HRM out there. It never seems to overestimate anything I am doing...actually quite the opposite
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Oh, and I'm sorry! I confused you.... when I said "TDEE" in that post, I was assuming TDEE-20%, but I definitely should have clarified that!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I thought the polar watch (I think I have the F7) is the most accurate HRM out there. It never seems to overestimate anything I am doing...actually quite the opposite

Just thought I'd add this:

I adjust my calorie intake every 10lbs lost.

Also don't forget to adjust your settings on your HRM as you lose weight.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're trying to make weight loss as complicated as you possibly can.
  • larovers
    Options
    Sounds like you're trying to make weight loss as complicated as you possibly can.

Possibly but for so many years I tried to do the same thing over and over with no plan or accuracy and it never worked so sometimes you have to try something new