Bored and Eating

Options
Hi y'all! I and loving MFP site and all the support that comes with it! Can anyone suggest help or share their experiences and how they overcame it? Thanks

Replies

• seasha86
    seasha86 Posts: 38
    Options
    I would like to know this as well. Its a bad habit that I have gotten into. :(
  • cherylpi
    cherylpi Posts: 2
    Options
    Mine started when I quit smoking. I replaced cigarettes with food. Now 60 lbs later....I can't seem to stop eating. I eat when I get bored or when I'm feeling a little down, but then sometimes I eat when I'm feeling happy. I need to learn to eat just when I'm hungry.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Get moving! Find something to do! Go for a walk, clean your house, do something to get your mind off of eating. Also try hot tea or chewing gum to keep you from snacking. Good luck!
  • basiplin
    basiplin Posts: 4
    Options
    I know that I can't stay in the house because I am going to eat something. Also, I can't go out at night because I'll drink. WHat I suggest is going out and being active. Do things like bowling, skating, swimming, golf, or something where you can be competitive. When I want a snack, I reach for my Kelloggs 90 calorie Vanilla of Strawberry bar. There are also many 100 calorie snacks. I also have a personal trainer. I must say you have to spend money to be healthy because even the healthier foods are more expensive. I say take it one day at a time, enroll in a dance class, hang out with friends who like sports, and compliment yourself in the mirror one to three times a day. Don't give up!
  • MrsBattousai
    MrsBattousai Posts: 171
    Options
    Hey!

I'm the same way!

I have found eating a really good breakfast helps one high in protein and fiber it will fill you up!
    And eat every 2-3 hours so you don't feel hungry also really plan out your meals and add protein to all snacks and meals
    Make sure you are keeping yourself busy so you are not thinking about food.
    Chew gum in between meals it helps as well
    And drink alot of water because sometimes you are just thirsty
    And close the kitchen after you eat your last meal

Good luck!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    When I was in junior high, I went from helping out on the farm every night to sitting at home doing nothing but eating and watching t.v. after my dad got a new job. I gained 20 lbs that summer (190 going into 8th grade :noway:) . I only gained more after that and was 280 when I left high school.

As with what everyone else said, get out and do stuff. You could find a hobby to do at home when it isn't nice out. Just do something!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Move move move!
  • laurenpence
    laurenpence Posts: 147
    Options
    I am a bored and eater too and what worked for me was water....lots and lots of it! I would just sit there with the straw in my mouth and suck and when it was empty I would fill it back up. Or i really like to cut up green apples really thin sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar on them heat up for about 15 seconds in the microwave and it tastes like apple pie little chips to me! So yummy! So either drink lots of water or find a healthy snack that will take you a while to munch on. Or gum
  • κόσμος
    Options
    I'm blogging about my weight loss journey or whatnot and i just wrote something about this today. I dont really want to rewrite it cause it was a lot, but here's the link. http://maknosteen.blogspot.com/
    This has always been one of my biggest problems (for a while it was the only one and if i had known what i do now, i think i could have prevented a lot of my weight gain)
  • Jennili7
    Jennili7 Posts: 50
    Options
    I have a bad habit of wanting to munch at work. I usually take my lunch which is normally pretty low in calories and I have a light breakfast in the morning. This leave my brain telling me "eat stuff with high calories before I die!!!" :sad: On one hand you can't eat what you don't buy..but people bring goodies to work :noway: So what I've started doing is I take pumpkin seeds (pretty low in calories and you can stretch the munching pretty far. Also, if I eat too many of them I get an upset stomach and then I WILL stop munching) and I also try to keep VERY dark chocolate hidden in my desk. I love dark chocolate and the darker it is the less calories.

I guess my point is that if you're a muncher..then keep things that you'll like to munch on but that aren't that bad for you. There's always a good workout that'll burn the calories away too. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • MelissaBranch
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments! I was under my calories for the first time today and tonight around 9pm I tried and tried but obviously not that hard, I went to Sheetz and got the mac and cheese bites and some chips and dip. It always happens at night and then I get mad at myself that I just ate. I'm sorry to go on and on, but this is the one place where I feel like I can be totally honest and not be judged because other people understand too. Thx.
  • MelissaBranch
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments! I was under my calories for the first time today and tonight around 9pm I tried and tried but obviously not that hard, I went to Sheetz and got the mac and cheese bites and some chips and dip. It always happens at night and then I get mad at myself that I just ate. I'm sorry to go on and on, but this is the one place where I feel like I can be totally honest and not be judged because other people understand too. Thx.