Personal Training

Options
Dexy24
Dexy24 Posts: 62 Member
I'm considering getting a personal trainer to help me with my weight loss goals... if it wasn't for the $$$ I would get one tomorrow! Does anyone have experience with having a personal trainer? Did it help? Worth the $$$ or not?

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    wow ????
    why spend money on what u can do for free
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've used personal trainers for help with weight routines. I met either every other week or monthly for a few months at a time and in addition to checking my form, they were good for helping come up with alternative exercises, when something felt bad or when I needed to change things up.

In other words, I think trainers can be really beneficial because they can kind of help you gather the tools you need to succeed on your own. It doesn't have to be a long-term commitment and for me the money was well spent.
  • kri1977
    kri1977 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have used a trainer for 2 yrs after my second baby was born because
    a) I wanted help with getting back in shape
    b) I needed the weekly appointment to actually get me to train
    c) I needed someone to show me specific moves and good moves to avoid damage

on point c) I have started doing shred at home now and yes, you can do it "for free" but I am happy I learned the good moves and avoid hurting myself or being in the wrong positions. Personal trainign helps that.

That said: if you have no specific needs, are already well aware of how to train and are disciplined, then save the $.

I am glad I did it and it was worth it to me :)

Ciao
    K
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Having a trainer can be expensive, but I scraped together enough $$ to hire one for 18 sessions.

I wanted someone to push me outside my comfort zone, to show me things that I'd never done before. He did that for sure. In the 3 months that I worked with himi dropped 30# off my pull up assist. I did all kinds of other things too. I never would have seen myself doing db rows with 30#...or being able to lat pull down 80#.
  • rachellainealferez
    Options
    So right :D
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love having a personal trainer. She really pushes me to try things I didn't know I was capable of, learn to lift weights properly to avoid injury, and motivates me to keep going during the workout when I want to give up.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It really depends the trainer.

Find a good one and they're worth their weight in gold.

Find a rubbish one and you'll be spending alot of time learning misinformation and broscience.

I would recommend finding one with a degree in Kinesiology or Sports Science or one who has been in business for at least 10 years.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer for 2 years.. and i miss him everyday since I switched gyms.

I find that i am not as motivated to exercise, without knowing that I have a scheduled session. I also find it easier to have someone set something up and tell me what to do, instead of me trying to figure it out.

Personally,I think it's worth the money.. even if it's for a few sessions to get ideas and a check on form while lifting.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You can pretty much do it yourself. Instead of spending money on a trainer, spend the time reading and learning.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've had a personal trainer for the last month and a half. Since then I lost about 10 inches, i'm stronger and more motivated
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer and he was great. I talked with the guy, and explained my goals. We only met twice a month, which is good. You don't need to buy sometime to work out with you for times a week.

So what are your goals? Btw, a goal like "i want to do a pull up" is much better than "i want to lose weight."
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I've been considering this as well. Do you have to join a gym to get a personal trainer? I have very specific goals:

1. 10% BF
    2. Hit intermediate level on my 1RM strength lifts (squat, dead, bench, press)
    3. Avoid injury

I have been working on these myself with good success, but things get more difficult as you approach your genetic limits.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I could do it for free, but would I be doing everything I could be doing? I decided to bite the budget and get a personal trainer twice a month (it was the max I could afford), my first session with her was last Thursday, and my second one is tonight. She made me do things I wouldn't normally do (dear god my poor thighs), and while I wasn't able to complete the workout, I learned some exercises that I feel I would now include on my own, and she pushed me beyond what I would have done on my own (in a good way, not a mean way -- I did stop, and she didn't sit there and pressure me to continue).
    Who knew I would actually get on a exercise ball (I was highly skeptical, and gave her the raised eyebrow and pointed look at it several times), and would I have done steps on my own? Heeeeeeeeey no. But I did it, and it was worth it.

I signed up for at least 3 months, and I figure at least for the time being it will be good, it will help keep me in line, and accountable for doing more than just walk/run on the treadmill (she's tracking my log ins to make sure I go to the gym, ahhhh! :D ). I am just getting back into exercising too, so I don't have goals at this point beyond loose weight, get some actual tone (instead of jiggle), be healthier in my overall body.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My old trainer had me using bigger weights than I thought I could use, and made me do lunges and squats.

Unfortunately, after 3 months he moved out of state unexpectedly. His replacement has put together a totally different routine for me. Last week it was 60 minutes of battle ropes, laps on the track and flights of steps. I was sweating like a pig and almost had an asthma attack 2x...but I loved it, and I have another session tomorrow. I asked him this morning what new hell he has planned for me, but hes not telling ;)
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    Its different for everyone. Some people have the time to do all the research on their own while others do not. For me personally, my job sucks out 12 hours of my day, so I have no inclination to get on my computer and spend another 2 hours researching in the evenings. I have enough trouble fitting in time to cook dinner, go workout, and maintain some kind of social life. :)

I love my personal trainer. He has been working with me a year. At first I could only afford to see him once a month, but now I have sessions with him weekly. He knows exactly how to push me just beyond my comfort zone and always corrects my form. I find that I just dont push myself enough when I am working out alone, I need someone to push me a few more reps, and few more minutes.

Every week I crawl away from our session, but I love every minute! He is helping me in becoming a healthier, happier me.