INSANITY work out... is it working for anyone???

Options
Hi everyone! I began the venture of doing the Insanity workout April 1st. Today is day 33, and I am currently in my "recovery week". Has anyone out there seen results, as in weight loss? I mean, I can see that my arms and shoulders are becoming somewhat defined (which is AWESOME!), and my thighs and legs are certainly stronger. However, I haven’t seen any weight loss! I realize that I’m probably just gaining muscle which is more dense than fat, but I guess my gripe is that I started doing Zumba in January of this year, and the pounds literally MELTED off me. I lost roughly 17lbs between mid January-April 1st. I’m getting a bit discouraged only because I still see all this extra weight around my belly that WAS disappearing a month ago, but it seems to be lingering now that I’m not doing Zumba.
Insanity is SO intense; you would think I’d have lost another 10lbs at least, by now. Nope. I mean you do sweat your butt off, and you do work SUPER hard, but I just don’t see the weight coming off. In Zumba, yes, you sweat, but you’re nowhere near as tired, and most importantly—YOU HAVE FUN! I love the dancing, and the music. It’s great, I really do enjoy it. Insanity is more like a bad memory from high school gym class. :-/
But I don’t want to give up! I’m on day 33 today; I’m more than half way through, so I’m not giving up now. I've heard that month 2 of Insanity is,…well… INSANE! Can anyone let me know what I’m in for this second month? Did anyone see weight loss their second month at least? I think I need more cardio to loose the rest of this weight. I have until the first week of August to be my goal weight (another 10lbs or so to loose…I’ve lost about 40 so far and I don’t want to stop!), and I feel like I've wasted the entire month of April because the scale hasn't moved.
(yes and I’m well aware that you should use things like a measuring tape, and the way your clothes fit, instead of the scale, but I’m sorry, I still like to see it move at least a pound in one month’s time!!)

Anyone have any advice?! Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated and accepted!

Thanks!

Replies

• J3nnaLyn
    J3nnaLyn Posts: 125
    Options
    Hey there!

My boyfriend and I did Insanity last spring and it is definitely really difficult! He ended up losing 12 pounds, and I didn't lose ONE. It's pretty frustrating, but at the same time I did end up losing a pant size, so that just goes to show you that even though the scale isn't moving, you're probably shrinking and building muscle. I say stick with it! Or, lose the lbs you want with Zumba, then go back to insanity to tone up some. It's fun to say you finished it!
  • Jesseca118
    Jesseca118 Posts: 26
    Options
    I personally like the 2nd half of insanity better. It is definitely hard but so is the first part. I love all of the Beachbody workouts Ive tried. The main thing is making sure you eat clean and that you keep going. Its just a loooong process. Ive been doing these programs for over a year now and Im just starting to get to where I want to be. Also with Insanity you will probably notice inches coming off if youre not seeing it on the scale. You might try turbofire after insanity. You might like that one better if you liked Zumba. Even though there are plenty (every) days that I dont want to push play the results are definitley worth it. Especially when I look back at where I started. Anyways dont give up!
  • Jesseca118
    Jesseca118 Posts: 26
    Options
    btw you look great! It will also slow down the close to the weight you want to be
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well, you could always do both . . . . . . ;-)
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you were getting results from Zumaba why did you quit???
    I bet you were burning more cals doing Zumba than Insanity....Insanity is great if your already in good shape and can get through like 80% of the video...but if your only "doing what you can do" and its only like 35% then whats the point....give it your all in something you can sustain....someone said Turbofire...to me its a better program than Insanity....I say do the Zumba and add some weight training if you can
  • ClarrissaN
    ClarrissaN Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity and ate healthy. I lost 16lbs and I was really out of shape...
  • bronx1101
    bronx1101 Posts: 48
    Options
    Hi there! I'm finishing up week six of Insanity tomorrow. I've lost about 3 pounds and around 3 inches. But then, I don't follow the meal plan. I do feel stronger and have muscle definition in my arms and legs that I didn't before, so that's pretty cool. These next three weeks I'm going to eat cleaner and see if that helps with the scale.
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    There are people who don't lose a single lb in the first month but say in the second month it just started to melt off. You just have to patient with your body. Your body is going to stall until it figures out your seriously trying to get rid of something. Keep going it'll come in due time. Don't let the scale discourage you. It's not your friend. Working out and eating better is. I'm also in Recovery week. Month 2 is going to be crazy. But I'm ready for it before I was like I'm not. I'm going to embrace the burn because it's only temporary.

I do Zumba also. I have the DVD's so for whoever said do both you're right. I do Zumba from time to time. As a matter of fact I just finished my Insanity workout and now I'm about to do Zumba. Just because you're doing Insanity doesn't mean you have to stop Zumba. I like to do a mixture of things. Keep your head up and keep going!
  • dancindoc508
    dancindoc508 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am doing the opposite of you. I did Insanity first and now I am starting zumba. With Insanity I lost 15 lbs! I loved it. I was 130 when I started Insanity so I didn't have a ton of weight to lose. Don't let that number fool you, I was out of shape. I was out of breath by just walking up a flight of stairs. In the beginning (first 3 weeks) I didn't lose ANYTHING. In fact I gained weight,then I started eating more! Are you following the advice in the nutrition guide regarding caloric intake? You have be consistent and you can't eat 1200 net cals. If you search the forums for the TDEE threads, it is all the same as what's in the Insanity nutrition guide. If you are eating the same amount as you did with Zumba, this is your body's way of telling you that it's not enough. Try eating more and stick with it. Once I upped my cals, the weight literally fell off and my pants are so loose. Stick with it!!
  • ShallaLovee1
    Options
    I bet you were burning more cals doing Zumba than Insanity....Insanity is great if your already in good shape and can get through like 80% of the video...but if your only "doing what you can do" and its only like 35% then whats the point....give it your all in something you can sustain....someone said Turbofire...to me its a better program than Insanity....I say do the Zumba and add some weight training if you can

I don't agree with the statement "Insanity is great if your already in good shape and can get through like 80% of the video...but if your only "doing what you can do" and its only like 35% then whats the point". It's not only for people who are already in shape. It's for people who want to get in shape and people who want to challenge themselves to a new level.
  • flywithabowtie
    flywithabowtie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 lbs in the first month of Insanity & changing my diet. I had to stop after i hyperextended my knee doing the jumping squats. If you push yourself, you will definitely see results.
  • arbata9
    arbata9 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

If you are eating the right foods, you should be loosing weight and gaining muscle. I personally noticed results in about three weeks of workout, but scales did not show much difference. Workouts like pure cardio are more designed for fat loss, whereas cardio&resistance or plyometrics for core strength and muscle growth.
    I personally started doing insanity 2-3 times a week and jog for another few days now to maximise weight loss.
    Keep going girl! :)
  • jade14b
    jade14b Posts: 22
    Options
    Lost about 10 pounds after Insanity combined with diet and other exercise so yep; worked for me! I even plan to do another round
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I only lost 5 pounds but it made my body look a lot different, feel free to look at my before and almost after photos (its from start- one round of jillian michaels body revolution, then round two of jillian and then the last is after insanity)

My asthma got a LOT better with insanity, it helped me with cardio very much and even got better at running.
    Myresting heart rate according to the doctor went from 91 to 53 which is really good.
    I like zumba at the gym but its more fun for me then a major workout, I like to be out of breath.
    May I recommend Jillians Body Rev. It was a GREAT program and kept me more interested than any program I have done. It switches new dvd's every two weeks and your body keeps guessing. I am doing another round right now.
    Feel free to email me if u have any questions :)
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I don't agree with the statement "Insanity is great if your already in good shape and can get through like 80% of the video...but if your only "doing what you can do" and its only like 35% then whats the point". It's not only for people who are already in shape. It's for people who want to get in shape and people who want to challenge themselves to a new level.

and you did zumba after an Insanity workout....that makes no sense....If you give Insanity your all its no way you can do another workout
  • ShallaLovee1
    Options

and you did zumba after an Insanity workout....that makes no sense....If you give Insanity your all its no way you can do another workout

Yes you can. It's not like your dead after a workout. Give yourself sometime in between workouts. It's called recovery. I'm in Recovery week so the workout isn't that intense. I know what my body can handle but thanks for your concern.
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, you're not eating in a deficit. Any workout can work, from just sitting around to something brutally difficult, so long as your diet is in check.
  • jgood21
    jgood21 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am doing INSANITY right now, and I follow the diet. I started month two and after a few days, I went back and started month one again. I just couldn't keep up with what they do in month two! I have lost about 15 or so lbs with INSANITY doing 2 months of month one. I start month two (for the second time) next week. I have read that you lose the most in month two, so we will see. I just want to get it done with. I don't think I will do it again...I agree that it is like a bad memory from gym class!! It does help with endurance, and I have lost a pant size so that is a plus, but I would rather do something I enjoy!
  • MzRealMaFigz
    Options
    WOW! thanks everyone! I'm overwhelmed by all the responses! :)

In response to why I stopped doing Zumba...well long story short I was dieting and working out alone for 2 years. I lost about 15 lbs on my own...but in TWO YEARS. It was a slow and lonely process, with only myself for motivation and support. This January my best friends and my husband FINALLY got the hint and began to work out with me...in 2 months I lost 17 lbs with this new found support. Once my best friend and I showed our hubbys Zumba, they thought it was fun, but a bit too girly for them, so hence we began Insanity. I was kind of roped into it. LOL I have every intention of going back to Zumba once this Insanity challenge is complete.

as far as calories go I'm 5'9", 172lbs and eat around 1500/day and burn now with Insanity roughly 300-350 calories a day. (I would burn closer to 600-900 doing Zumba.) I don't think my calories are too far from being right where i need them to be in order to loose the weight. MFP calculated me at 1200! I knew that was too little, so I bumped it up.

Thanks for everyone's input! I appreciate it!
  • MzRealMaFigz
    Options
    I can totally relate to that! My husband has lost roughly 30 lbs since January....30 lbs too me about 3 YEARS to loose! It's so much easier for a man! lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!