Help creating a home yoga practice

Options
Hi there

I'm trying to cultivate a daily yoga practice at home and I'd love to find others who already have a daily practice or who would like to start one to provide mutual support.

For those who practice at home how did you get started? How did you choose what type of practice/asanas and how long to practice for and what time of day?

I'm nervous because at yoga class my teacher provides corrections but at home I worry if I will be able to be aware of proper form and feel like I need a mirror but I find a mirror very distracting to the inner work I want to do during a yoga practice

Any thoughts or tips or questions from others are most appreciated!

Replies

• ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Just thinking about that commercial I've seen recently with the teenage baseball player recording his swing to analyze later so I don't even know if this is feasible or not regarding form, but from time to time, could you record your session and then review it for form issues?
  • aprillepullins
    Options
    Hi!
    I would be thrilled to help you here. :-) Practicing yoga at home is an incredible experience. YOU get to choose all the moves and the music. I find the mirror a distraction as well. I think we can get too caught up on the pose being certain way or with us looking a certain way in that pose. I tend to mix my yoga depending on how I feel that day. Keep in mind that there are NO RULES here. :-) And you will probably surprise yourself with your form. As you hold your posed, you will think of reminders you have heard during other classes. Another bonus - I tend to try going a little bit further at home when there is no one around me. I almost feel like I'm playing a bit, which makes it fun for me. Next time you go to a class, ask the instructor questions about your home practice. She/he will typically be happy to help.

Hope that helps!
    Namaste,
    Aprille
  • jecky74
    jecky74 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I used to watch a show, Namaste Yoga, on the FIT channel. Of course, they changed the format of that channel so I went online and found the DVDs myself. I love how slow and calming it is, but gives you a good work-out. Make sure you go to Katie Potter's page to guy them so you can get the full seasons (there are two).
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks this is all really helpful!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    What type of yoga do you practice? You said you were interested in your form, so I thought I'd ask.

I've practiced for 13 years.
    About 6 years ago, would occasionally practice at home - either to a video or on my own - just here and there - I would go to a class or two a week - and that was my yoga practice.
    I started teaching (subbing) about 5 years ago and began to practice more, but not daily. Started my own class 4 years ago.

About 3-4 years ago I started practicing daily. I stopped using videos and will only use the occasional audio. What helped me was having a chart - not kidding, just like you would give to a child, though I didn't use gold stars. I would have a list of poses I wanted to practice on a spreadsheet, then I would check off all the poses I did that day. At the end of the time period (week or month), I wanted every pose checked at least once.

In almost all my home practices, I use a timer. Now I write down a sequence I'm going to teach for a class. I practice that sequence, tweaking along the way - I do this twice a week. Once a week, I do a sequence from the back of Light on Yoga - I'm going through the year long program, and I'm on week 18 - it's gets difficult quickly, by week 22 I think there are poses I can't do. Once a week or more, I do my own practice - this usually involves stuff I need to work on: abs, arm strength, inversions, leg strength, and working toward the middle splits. I go to at least 2 classes a week, sometimes three.

Hope that helps.
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brownvs
    brownvs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump. Home for a week and trying to figure out what I can do on my own.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Bump. Home for a week and trying to figure out what I can do on my own.

Start with one pose, then the next, and go from there.