Need some help and hope...

Options
So I have just started MFP today, but I have been really trying to lose weight and get fit for about a month now. I have been going to the gym 6 times a week. About an hour of cardio each time (treadmill for 3.5-4 miles) and nautilus equipment for weight training. Seeing a little bit of results, but doesn't seem like much for as much effort as I put in! Haven't been tracking calories up till now, but have been trying to be good--maybe I just haven't been as good as I thought. Any jumpstart suggestions?

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    the water is really the key, try to drink as much as you can!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Put everything (I mean EVERYTHING) into your food diary and that will help tell you what you are doing wrong. It is also possible that you are doing everything right and you just aren't "seeing " the results yet, but they will come.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi:flowerforyou:
    I've been loosing steady 1-2.5# each week (started out 217), just keeping track of cals and exercise (walking with Leslie Sansone DVDs different rates 3-5 miles/hr) have a blow it day every 2-4 weeks(confuses the metabolism). That's about it.
    Started out using Dr. Oz's diet (google) but I wasn't getting enough cals in (800-1000), so I switched things around.
    You can friend me to check out my exercise and food diary, if you like.
    Good luck:wink:
  • BeeZoe
    BeeZoe Posts: 37
    Options
    Agreed on the diary, even with eating clean I was perturbed at the amount of calories I was actually taking in, the diary laid it out to me clearly and I have learned to adjust my calories, portions and exercise accordingly.
  • duribe56
    duribe56 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome,

Like the others have written, track everything, water too. I also got some advice from my doctor to find out what my BMR is, then she suggested subtracting 500 calories from that, YOU WILL see results just stay with it and stay positive,,,,,

Best of luck

Dan
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Is it possible you are not eating ENOUGH calories for all the exercising you're doing? Tracking your exercise and food will help you immensely! Good luck!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I would suggest if you haven't already, purchase a heart rate monitor and a digital food scale.
    I learned that being true on portion size is not as easy as I thought it was to "eyeball"! And the calorie burn is going to vary from person to person, so a HRM will greatly help you with your exercising.
    Also surround yourself with positive people on here. There are bad apples on every site this one included.
    And have fun with it. Have fun learning new exercises. Have fun cooking new healthy meals.
    I can't say enough good things about this site.
    I hope it works well for you.
    Good luck.
    Steph
  • blakebraden21
    Options
    water is very important in trying to maintain a good metabolism. I try to drink at least 2 bottles of water a day. I usually try to fullfill all my nutrients during the day, it can be tough to do. I always try to fend off the cravings, with water. Working out at different levels can always confuse your metabolism and help loose that extra weight.
  • REOWGNspfd
    REOWGNspfd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the tips--I really can see how this site/app can be very helpful. Calorie and exercise were good today--but water not so much. Will need to make a concentrated effort on that tomorrow. But at a little under 1200 calories for the day, the system warns me I could go into "starvation mode"

I have read some posts on this subject and there seems to be logic both ways on the topic. I just figure I am going to eat when my body tells me to eat and control the choices and portions...

As far as eating the extra calories you exercise in the day, that seems to go against every diet I have ever done--LOL! I understand the calories are the fuel for the exercise, but my thought if I am able to do the exercise, and not consume the calories, I would benefit from the basic math equation of more calories burned and less calories consumed equals more weight loss.

Any thoughts?
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If I exercise at lot on one day, I am really very physically hungry the next day, if I don't eat some of my exercise calories.