too much Italian Shepard pie !

Options
C12254
C12254 Posts: 198
Were trying a new recipe tonight- Italian Shepard's pie. its ground turkey, chopped red bell pepper, italian herb seasoning, garlic powder, and cheese inside of a pie crust. The recipe called for 1 and a 1/2 lbs of ground turkey and it was way too much. What is a good recipe (easy and cheap) that I can use the rest of the ground turkey in? (Its already seasoned and has the bell peppers in it- about a 1/2 pound or a little more is what is left) I could probably make another shepards pie with it but would rather not.

I was thinking maybe make a pizza or spaghetti with it but im iffy on trying "made up, gotta use the left overs, i hope this works" stuff. always worried itll turn out terrible and that itll all be wasted

Replies

• Lauri524
    Lauri524 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi. I buy ground turkey and make up hamburgers in 4 oz sizes then freeze in sandwich baggies. I sometimes microwave fresh spinach, onion, mushrooms or whatever veggie you like just until softened, then I squeeze out the water and mix into the ground turkey. Add an egg white, a tbsp. grated parmesan, salt, pepper and sometimes I even grind up a slice of whole wheat bread into crumbs and add it. They make for a are very big, filling and healthy burger!
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers. ground turkey, green bell peppers, diced onions, brown rice and tomato sauce or diced tomatoes. I usually use what I have in the pantry but google it and you will find it. quick, easy and inexpensive!
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I mix the turkey with one egg and a half a bag of broccoli slaw and fill muffin tins to make mini meat loaves.
  • missbossypants
    missbossypants Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Saute some onions, mushrooms and zucchini, then add to the already cooked meat and peppers.
    Throw in some pasta sauce and canned tomatoes, and serve with pasta or spaghetti squash.

I made my "famous" spaghetti sauce the other day with ground turkey in place of beef, and I was AMAZED! It was just as good, if not better than the beef recipe!
  • namastejul
    namastejul Posts: 4
    Options
    LOVE stuffing poblano peppers with ground turkey! Add a little taco spice (homemade is best, just combine cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, whatever else you like!) and add some brown rice and black beans seasoned with garlic, onion, and any other vegetable you like!

Roast the poblanos first if you are baking them (under a broiler until charred, then put in a covered container; the skins practically peel themselves). Cut the peppers in half and seed them. Put the turkey mixture inside and top with some queso blanco or even cheddar. Cook until cheese melts. Or you can just cut the pepper in half and fill with mixture, then grill away (close the lid to melt the cheese). Yum!
  • Junebugsc
    Junebugsc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I mix the turkey with one egg and a half a bag of broccoli slaw and fill muffin tins to make mini meat loaves.
    Sounds good. Will have to try it!
  • Aniski7
    Aniski7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Italian flavored tacos? Or I would just make calzones and freeze them for the to-go lunch.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I just saw this. my recipe calls for a can of diced italian tomatoes. the seasoned ones.. incredible...