Do you think it's necessary to log vegetable intake?

Options

Replies

• watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I log everything. If I stop one thing, I might fall into a trap of not logging other things.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes its necessary to log everything u eat drink.................... etc.......................
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    I log everything. If I stop one thing, I might fall into a trap of not logging other things.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    those caleries that u aarent loggimng could be 200 or more-
    LOG THEM
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yes they have calories.
    I can easily make a salad that costs 700 calories.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Is it food? Log it.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think it's imperative to balance logging and living; therefore, I would say log it all.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I log them. I like to see how close I'm getting to my recommended daily intake of vitamins.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a simple question. Some veggies. such as parsnips and sweet potatoes, have quite a few calories and IMO should always be logged. Others like a couple of pieces of lettuce on a sandwich or 2 jalapeno in a recipe are so low that they make no difference.

Personally, I log all vegetables eaten as part of the meal, rather than for seasoning or garnish. Veggies used to season dishes I may or may not log, depending on the calorie count and how big of a hurry I'm in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 200-300 calories per day in veggies...

When I was trying to lose, it was pretty important that I log those considering that if I hit my calorie goal with logging them I would have cut my weight loss deficit in half just failing to log properly.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I don't log the really low calorie veggies. So baby bok choy, celery, lettuce, asparagus, etc are not logged. The only high calorie veggie I eat is a Japanese sweet potato.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi along with the rest of the comments on here I log everything even vegetables have calories in
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's necessary for me. Whether or not you log vegetables is up to you, but I agree with other who say you should. Why wouldn't you log them? Because it's too much trouble? That seems like a dangerous way of thinking when your goal is (presumably) to track what you are eating.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Yes I do.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    a little more...
    I think logging should be a means to an end, not an end unto itself. When I get to my goal, I don't want to feel like I can't feed myself in a reasonable manner without constantly checking every detail. That said, there is a question you need to ask yourself - is what I am doing working? If so, sweating extra details probably isn't worth the effort. But if the answer is no, then log everything and look closer.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    sometimes nearly a quarter of my caloric intaake is from veggies so yes. If I didn't log those I could be off up to 400 calories a day. That being said, if it's a bit of shredded lettuce on a burger or a bit onion in 6 cups of kale then no - I'll log the burger (of course) and the kale but skip the shredded lettuce and the bit of onion.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find that if I don't log most everything I start cheating a little bit more and more....that cookie is only 40 cals I don't need to log that which spirals into meals/ snacks then entire days. SO I try to log everything.

That being said, I may not log the lone piece of lettuce on a sandwich or the sprinkling of diced tomatoes on a chicken breast....but if anything comes close to a serving or even a half serving it's logged.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Yes! The fiber content helps me figure out what helps keep and make me full. Fiber is also really good for your cholesterol levels. The iron content in a lot of veggies is surprising as well.

So yeah, it's not just the calories, but the whole picture. Log the veggies.
  • SaveFileCorrupt
    SaveFileCorrupt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the vegetable, and how consistent you are. I think it's a bit painful to make a huge effort to log reasonable servings of cruciferous, green vegetables (broccoli, spinach, kale, cabbage) that have a near null effect on calories due to their fiber content. However, much like anything else, if the servings are overdone, they may begin to have a detriment on your goals.

Obviously, this is anecdotal, but I've had great success the past 2 years omitting these highly fibrous veggies, but always including the more starchy or sugary varieties.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    There are many days where I eat 300+ calories of vegetables. If I didn't log them, I'd delude myself that I have extra calories for other foods. Same with condiments. It's the small stuff that adds up and keeps people from losing.

That, and I keep a close eye on my micronutrients. If I didn't log veggies, how would I know if I got enough potassium or Vitamin A?