Does once a month weigh in work for you?

Options
Has anyone had good success weighing in once a month vs. once a week or everyday? I was at a support group meeting tonight and some said weighing less helps them focus on eating right one day at time. Stated if they focus on the OA program vs. weight loss then the weight will come off.

It made sense to me and I think next month I am going to try this method. Even though it goes against all other articles I have read which recommends once a week and/or daily. Different thing works for everyone.

I would love to hear from you if you have or have not had success with once a month weigh ins. Thanks in advance for your response.

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I am definitely against daily, but I am a weekly kind of guy. I think once a month is too far apart, but I guess it is up too you. I think once every other week would be a good compromise.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do the once a month thing and focus more on inches lost. I think its a good idea not to put too much substance into a number. My dad has done the once a month weigh in to much success.
  • redbeard
    redbeard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opposite school. Once a month is avoidance. But then, thats me. If I keep the scale put away, I notice my portion sizes tend to get a bit bigger, I'll eat a few things that I shouldn't, figuring I have 3 weeks, ooops, 2 weeks, no, I mean 1 more week till I weigh in.

I know for some, it works. For most though, I think its more about avoidance than 'focusing on eating right'. If you do go monthly, make sure you log EVERYTHING you eat, so you'll have a good idea of where you are at.

Dan
  • MomBo
    MomBo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self daily but post every 4 weeks. Saves me from the frustration of the 'up/down's' of dieting. I know in a 4 week period I will go up some, down some and probably plateau some of the time, but at the end my weight generally is down. I'm in this for the long haul and to change my eating to healthy. Don't want to get to obsessed with the scale.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,383 Member
    Options
    I am definitely against daily, but I am a weekly kind of guy. I think once a month is too far apart, but I guess it is up too you. I think once every other week would be a good compromise.

I did think about every other week also. I have until next week to meditate on it and if I will have the control not to weigh as often. I think with MFP and making 2 OA meetings a week and a few WLS meetings a month, I can do twice a month or once a month. I am going to ask about this tomorrow at my 2nd meeting of the week.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week because I keep changing my workout schedule, routine, food, and cals, protein, carbs , and fats.
    weighing weekly lets me know what works and what doesn't. I also measure once every 2 weeks.
    If you're not varing you're food or exercise and can keep motivated, then once a month should be ok, good luck:wink:
  • Kera885
    Kera885 Posts: 59
    Options
    I would love to ony weigh in once a month, the only thing I lack is willpower. There are some days when I just don't see what I want on the scale even when I've been eating well and exercising and it can be very discouraging. A month will almost certainly show changes on the scale even with your body's fluctuations. If I could stand not weighing myself almost religiously, I wouldn't lol
  • GunnyGirlTN
    GunnyGirlTN Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh in EVERY DAY! I don't worry about the up's and down's and only record the down's unless the up's stay up's for more than 2 days. I look and see the scale dropping about everyday and it keeps me positive. Even if it's just a 0.1 pound drop I still feel great about it! I have and always will be a daily weigh in until reach my goal!

I don't think I would have been able to make it this far unless I weighed in daily!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It really depends on both what your goals are and what your workout routine is. If your workout routine is basically just a diet -then you better weigh in a lot. If it's cardio, weigh in sometimes, if it's a mix of weights and cardio (the best by a long shot) then I always suggest to my clients to weigh in only once every 4 weeks.

The goal isn't ever just to lose weight, but to change body composition, thus sometimes the scale can actually move around a bit as you continue down your path. If you are religiously logging your food, eating right and exercising daily (which we all are here riiiiiiiiiiiiight?) - then you will lose weight - it's a fact. The scale not going down quickly enough can often serve as a depressing external motivator for my clients.

Find out what works for you and go with it. Everyone has a different mix of internal and external motivating factors!

Good luck!
  • knightl
    knightl Posts: 14
    Options
    Recently, I have been doing it once a month and last month I lost 6 pounds. It was because of a break up, though, so I have probably gained some back. I believe once every other week would be a good amount of time to give yourself!
  • lalouli
    lalouli Posts: 41
    Options
    For me I have to weigh myself at least every couple of days. I took my scale to my classroom for a math unit I was teaching. It ended up there for over a month and I ended up with 5 extra pounds. If I don't see the number, I convince myself it's my imagination! Plus, if I'm checking it regularly, before I started MFP, then I would adjust my diet anytime I saw more than an extra pound.
    Like you said, I think it depends on the person, though. Maybe try it for a month and see how you feel about it. You can always go back to weekly/daily.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It helps me not to weigh but once a month or even every two months cause i get discouraged if i don't see but a lb or two gone. Also I feel that I am eating "normal" if i am not jumping on the scale and worrying about what it says. I don't feel so much like i am "dieting" so to speak"
  • militarywitch
    Options
    I weigh daily...at the same time everyday and then once a week at my dr ofc--just swing in, weigh and leave--the nurse is very helpful and she tracks in in my chart--this helps to verify my scale accuracy...
  • NinaP2013
    NinaP2013 Posts: 30
    Options
    I think it is best to weigh in every 7 days in the morning before you eat anything. First, if you weigh daily, your body fluctuates and I dont think you get the right numbers. Monthly keeps things too far apart and i think the motivation goes down because you dont have a weigh in to look forward to. You see great numbers and not tiny ones if you weigh daily. ANyway thats what I do! Good luck either way!!!!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every few weeks. I do weigh on Friday though. I love it when the scale says I've lost 3-4 lbs vs 1lb. I also measure once a month on a Friday too. I don't eat any different on the weeks I don't weigh myself.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,383 Member
    Options
    It helps me not to weigh but once a month or even every two months cause i get discouraged if i don't see but a lb or two gone. Also I feel that I am eating "normal" if i am not jumping on the scale and worrying about what it says. I don't feel so much like i am "dieting" so to speak"

When this was mentioned Metco, I thought of you because I know you only weigh once a month when you go to the doctors office and you are still averaging 2 pounds a week. Keep up the good work!:flowerforyou:
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I officially weigh myself every other Sat. I jump on the scale off and on during the day and I have seen HUGE weight flucutations. (up to 6 pounds). I am on the 1 pound a week plan (I'm in the school if it comes of slow, then your body won't know) so weighing weekly would be a tad depressing.

Been here a month and have lost 5.