protein macros need help

Options
What do you eat for protein? I usually have two shakes, one piece of meat and protein bar, some egg whites. I am having trouble reaching my protein macros. I need lower fat/cal high protein suggestions.

Replies

• sidewinder76
    sidewinder76 Posts: 287
    Options
    Chobani non fat yogurt, and low fat cottage cheese for me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Chicken - even cold and cut up for a snack, Greek yogurt, tuna, and turkey meatloaf cupcakes are my basics. I rarely drink a protein shake anymore though sometime I will have a protein bar (quest or Darryl's all natural). Oh and eggs.
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt(12 grams protein, 80 calories),, Breakstone 2% Cottage Cheese (10 grams of protein, 80 calories), Protein To Go Smoothies (28 grams of protein, 128 calories), Myogenics Aftershock (34 grams protein 280 calories), Starkist tuna packets (18 grams protein, 80 calories).
  • SixPackIsMyGoal
    SixPackIsMyGoal Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference in many of the shakes and bars when it comes to protein, fat, calories, etc. I look for the pure whey powders with as little additional fat, sugar calories as possible. That way, when you do go for a protein shake it is focused on the protein
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I cook a bunch of chicken breasts on the weekend or a pork loin roast so I have it on hand during the week. I also posted on the recipes section some homemade turkey breakfast sausage that is awesome. One pound makes 12 patties at 50 calories and 2 grams fat and I think it was 9 grams protein. Chobani blood orange greek yogurt is super yummy too and good protein with no fat!
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    skinless grilled chicken breast is one of the best. I use ground turkey for all ground beef type meals, and also some pork is good.
    You can also look for high protein low carb/fat shakes and drinks. Whey protein shots are also available. I often use a MetRX prepakaged shake which is 51g protein and I believe about 2 fat and 6 carb.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Organic Skinless Chicken...I buy the big pack from Costco. I also use Super Advanced Whey Protein.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    What do you eat for protein? I usually have two shakes, one piece of meat and protein bar, some egg whites. I am having trouble reaching my protein macros. I need lower fat/cal high protein suggestions.

Quite surprised you haven't met your protein count with the list mentioned!
    For protein, 3 protein shakes (with milk, never water), chicken breast fillet, cheese slice, bread (2 slices has about 7g) :smile: , 2-5 eggs (depends if I had enough protein that day) and beef slices - depends though, tofu!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

Quite surprised you haven't met your protein count with the list mentioned!
    For protein, 3 protein shakes (with milk, never water), chicken breast fillet, cheese slice, bread (2 slices has about 7g) :smile: , 2-5 eggs (depends if I had enough protein that day) and beef slices - depends though, tofu!

Why not with water?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference in many of the shakes and bars when it comes to protein, fat, calories, etc. I look for the pure whey powders with as little additional fat, sugar calories as possible. That way, when you do go for a protein shake it is focused on the protein

agreed.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

^^

25gm protein/100 cals is a good ratio.

Keep cooked white meat chicken, turkey breast and hard boiled eggs handy and use that for snacks. Plain Greek yogurt is great as is cottage cheese. I avoid low-fat everything since most manufacturer's have to replace the fat with something to make it taste good and that's usually a sugar type carb of some sort. Fat isn't necessarily bad for you!

It's much better to get your protein from whole food sources than from protein bars. There's lots of hidden sugars and other "stuff" even in the "good" bars. .
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    1 cup of Fage 0% fat has 20 grams of protein in it. I have it as my after breakfast snack and my afternoon snack. Healthy, filling, delicious.
  • ShareenCrosby
    Options
    My favorite source of protein is shrimp or large tiger prawns. They are very quick to grill up and are very low in calories but high in protein.
  • greenihlonde
    greenihlonde Posts: 337
    Options
    I eat a lot of Fage 2% and Jay Robb's protein powder is my fav.