Pizza: complete source of macros and micros

Options
Just saw this article on reddit and I thought it would be a good discussion piece here. This pizza is made to be 30% of the average adults required nutrition (macros and micros). The article doesn't list the calories or macros, just describes it as 30% of what you need every day. So you could theoretically eat nothing but this pizza and be receiving adequate nutrition without needing to take any vitamins. Thoughts?

Article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18663969

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This just in:
    "Brits discover take-out pizza with meat and veg".
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I don't think that making a super healthy pizza would be all that difficult. The most basic of pizza is simply a crust, crushed tomatoes and herbs, and cheese. There is a nice combination of nutrients there, and if you add some meat and additional vegetables you have a great meal.
  • pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    I would thing it is true provided that you made it at home. One slice of some of the major take out here have more than a day supply of sodium. I know that most people do not have to worry about it but as a mom of a renal kid we do. And I feel like people in general get WAY too much of the stuff.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    *Waits for Coach Reddy and/or Johnnythan to show up*
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I would thing it is true provided that you made it at home. One slice of some of the major take out here have more than a day supply of sodium. I know that most people do not have to worry about it but as a mom of a renal kid we do. And I feel like people in general get WAY too much of the stuff.
    It's a ready prepared pizza
  • pmteet
    Options

In moderation (of course) they are fine. Homemade is better. A friend makes AWESOME pizza dough! Of course she makes her own sauce from her own tomatoes. But ready made is not bad. I would stay away from extra cheese. Sadly for me that is what makes pizza pizza. Enjoy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This just in:

LOL.

Nah seriously I can totally see it. Pizza isn't that bad, it's when they add a ton of greasy cheeses on it that it gets nasty. My only issue with it is that it's not much food for the amount of calories.
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Its the sugar and salt in the pre-made pizzas too. I'd buy this pizza if it makes it in to stores.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This just in:

LOL.

Nah seriously I can totally see it. Pizza isn't that bad, it's when they add a ton of greasy cheeses on it that it gets nasty. My only issue with it is that it's not much food for the amount of calories.

This! For me pizzas don't fill my gut probably because its too delicious to stop munching xD
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    eat whatever u wa nt if its under your caleries and exercise
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think it's beneficial to get variety in a diet - eat a lot of plant species with different levels of nutrition.

It's not hard to make a pizza healthy.

Start with :
    100% whole wheat dough

Add:
    herbs
    plain tomato sauce (no corn syrup)
    low fat shredded cheese
    veggies and chicken, to preference

That's a perfectly respectable meal.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think it's beneficial to get variety in a diet - eat a lot of plant species with different levels of nutrition.

Start with :
    100% whole wheat dough

Add:
    herbs
    low fat shredded cheese

That sounds like a sad pizza. Here's a happy pizza:

EjW2iVLl.jpg
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

In moderation (of course) they are fine. Homemade is better. A friend makes AWESOME pizza dough! Of course she makes her own sauce from her own tomatoes. But ready made is not bad. I would stay away from extra cheese. Sadly for me that is what makes pizza pizza. Enjoy.
    That's the thing, theoretically you could eat nothing but this pizza and have all of your nutritional needs met.
  • pmteet
    Options

Start with :
    100% whole wheat dough

Add:
    herbs
    low fat shredded cheese

That sounds like a sad pizza. Here's a happy pizza:

EjW2iVLl.jpg

A REALLY happy pizza has a lot more cheese!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Pictures of pizzas without toppings make me sad.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    *Waits for Coach Reddy and/or Johnnythan to show up*

I love you.