room temp. lunch and snacks.

Options
I work at a new business. We don't have a fridge or microwave yet and who knows if we'll ever get one. We also don't have a break table, so I'm constantly eating my lunch while sitting on boxes or standing up. Does anyone have tips on easy and not too messy snack or lunch ideas that don't require access to a microwave or fridge and are delicious at room temp? My creativity is running out and I'm getting sick of granola bars or peanut butter sandwiches or ordering out. No diatary restrictions.

Thanks!

Replies

• BeeeLouise
    BeeeLouise Posts: 1
    Options
    My plan for lunch this week is canned tuna and veggies - I love those little grape tomatoes. I'm just starting and trying to really limit carbs this week. If you put some cucumbers and tomatoes in a bigger tupperware, then dump the tuna in (no mayo is best), it would be delish at room temp. Eating lunch standing up must burn more calories, right? :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    Although we have a fridge and microwave at work, I am too lazy to use either. My room temperature packed lunches usually consist of microwaved frozen veg plus protein. The protein might be hardboiled eggs, turkey luncheon meat, beef jerky or leftovers. Sometimes I will add a tablespoon of chilli sauce, pesto or hummus to make the veg a little more interesting. I also bring a couple of pieces of fruit with me.

Friend me if you would like to poke through my diary.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    We have fridges in our break room, but because I start my shift later in the morning, they are both stuffed full by the time I get there. Plus, like most work fridges, they are usually disgusting. So, I bought a nice soft-sided Igloo lunch cooler and use ice packs so I can pack my yogurt, string cheese, and other refrigerator items. I've been doing this for years with no ill effects...knock on wood!
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/09/90-healthy-no-heat-lunches-for-work.html

This is a great list of lunch ideas that don't need to be reheated and some of them don't need to be refrigerated

Good luck!
  • DianeLSimpson
    Options
    Had the same problem when I worked. Try freezing a bottle of water and putting it in you lunch bag. This will keep your yogurt, sandwich, cheese etc cold until lunch then in the afternoon you have a cold bottle of water to drink.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Can you take a small cooler to store your lunch in? If you can, this is your best bet to have at least cold food to increase the variety of food.

If not, here are some sources I keep my desk for quick fixes:

Tuna pouches; you can buy packets of mustard, etc. for dressing so you don't have to refrigerate them or you can 'borrow' a lot of them from gas stations, fast food restaurants, etc. Bring your bread and you can make tuna salad without refrigeration

Almonds (or any other nuts)

Hard-boiled eggs; freeze them the night before and they will be thawed by lunch

Bananas

Apples

Protein Bars (I would use these sparingly)

Celery/carrot sticks; freeze them the night before and they will thaw out by lunch
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Get a cooler with ice paks and you can have cold chicken, tuna, eggs, steak. And whatever u can eat cold, or rom temp. Steak chicken salad. Turkey wraps with veggies and whatever you like.
    Pasta salad.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Soup in a thermos flask with some nice quality bread.