Is whey protein good when trying to lose weight?

Options
Hi, I'm trying to lose about 30 lbs. I do Jillian Michaels dvds (No more trouble zones, and Boost your metabolism) After, my calories is above my limit (sometimes its up at 1500 when my normal limit is 1200) I've been drinking a whey protein shake after so I don't have to eat a ton of calories, but my husband says it's for people who want to gain weight. I've only been at it for about a week, so I haven't really lost any weight yet, but am I sabotaging? I want to keep lean muscle, but I don't want to bulk up.

Replies

• elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    As long as you count te calories and make sure it's within your range it's fine. It's pure enough protein and is good for muscle repair but even though I have it everyday I obviously have to make sure I stay within my calorie range. You will only bulk or put on weight if you massively go over your allotted calories.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing this morning! Thanks for posting this!
  • thekat78
    thekat78 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As long as you count te calories and make sure it's within your range it's fine. It's pure enough protein and is good for muscle repair but even though I have it everyday I obviously have to make sure I stay within my calorie range. You will only bulk or put on weight if you massively go over your allotted calories.

This! Whey protein just helps rebuild muscles! And if you're in a calorie defecit, the muscle you have burns fat, therefore feeding your muscles what it needs, you'll burn fat and tone up quicker. But only in a defecit!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm trying to lose about 30 lbs. I do Jillian Michaels dvds (No more trouble zones, and Boost your metabolism) After, my calories is above my limit (sometimes its up at 1500 when my normal limit is 1200) I've been drinking a whey protein shake after so I don't have to eat a ton of calories, but my husband says it's for people who want to gain weight. I've only been at it for about a week, so I haven't really lost any weight yet, but am I sabotaging? I want to keep lean muscle, but I don't want to bulk up.

For the purposes of your question (my following statement is not entirely accurate), think of a protein shake as an additional piece of fish or chicken.

You are adding protein to your diet, and that's pretty much it, for practical purposes.

If your diet is protein deficient (consider MFP sets pro recommendations a bit low) then a protein shake will be beneficial. If you're already consuming sufficient levels of protein, adding additional protein to your diet will not have nearly as great of an effect.
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Thank you guys! this really does help a lot! :smile:
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a vegetarian, so I already have a difficult time getting enough protein
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you google Jillian Micheals and oxidizer test or quiz there is a test you can do to see what ratio of carbs, protein and fat your body needs to function efficiently. You can then set these (I think they are called macronutrients) on MFP. I set mine and very rarely manage to reach the 30% protein she recommends. Adding whey to oatmeal and smoothies gets me most of the way there though.
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I always have a protein shake after my workouts to help my muscles recover without them holding onto excess water. I personally use Isagenix whey protein because it is all natural and has 18g of protein for 100 calories. I love it. I have also tried Jillian's brand of whey protein and I love her chocolate one. I will add a scoop of that to my shakes if I am having chocolate cravings to help keep me from grabbing a candy bar.

I believe as long as you count it in your calories you will be fine and if you are having trouble getting enough protein or hitting your calorie mark, you can add more. I use 1 or 2 scoops after each workout and love it.
  • sseangirish
    Options
    Its a common misconception. Whey protein helps keep muscle while in a calorie deficit
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Helps me. I can't answer for no one else
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    How are you only eating 1200 calories if you still have 30lbs to lose? You should probably eat close to 1350, plus your exercise calories back.