calories and fat for the day

Options
Can you still lose weight over time if you sometimes go over the fat intake, but don't go over the calories for each day?

Replies

• slinne
    slinne Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat =/= body fat!
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes you can...
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Eating fat does not make people fat. Eating too many calories makes people fat.
  • mdancingirl71
    Options
    Thanks so much! just wanted to confirm. I know that some fats are actually not bad for your body, from what I understand. Would you say moderation is best in the "fats" department?
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! just wanted to confirm. I know that some fats are actually not bad for your body, from what I understand. Would you say moderation is best in the "fats" department?

The thing with fatty foods is that they are calorie dense since there is over twice as many calories in a gram of fat as compared to a gram of protein or carbohydrates. So naturally you will have to be careful with them. Most people try to consume about 30% of their daily calories in fats, but this is up to you personally. Keep them mostly healthy fats like nuts, fish, etc and keep your calorie intake near your goal and you'll be fine.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have this problem because i eat soooo many avocados haha. im always under my calories but avocados are so high in fat i go over my fat intake everyday almost
  • sseangirish
    Options
    Always. Drink water
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Fat is just a macro nutrient. You can adjust your ratio of macro nutrients however you see fit. Macro nutrients have nothing to do with weight gain or loss...they do however, play a major roll in your general nutrition. When one macro is higher then others have to be lower. You will note that most low carbers have high fat intake and high protein intake...it has to be that way since there are only the three macro nutrients and if you're cutting carbs, obviously your fats and protein have to increase to compensate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

This really depends. I do around 30% of my diet as fat...my macro ratios are 40c/30p/30f. If you are cutting carbs or anything, it is natural that you would be higher in fat and higher in protein.

What's more important is that you have balance...if you are going over in fat are you getting enough protein? Are you getting adequate micro nutrients like vitamins and minerals...in other words, is going over on your fat goals a detriment to your other macro and micro goals.
  • WonTaunTaun
    WonTaunTaun Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Also, just like calories, when you exercise you get "fat points" back. I'll go over, but after my exercise my numbers are usually in the green again.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hope so, I do it just about everyday :S
  • mdancingirl71
    Options
    Thanks everyone! great/detailed replies that help me out a lot.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    yes