any help with running in the heat?

Options
Hi all. I'd like to start out by saying thanks to all who post on here! I am fairly new to this site and I really enjoy all the help and enthusiasm I get each day when I log on and read what others are doing and going through to be healthy. I have recently ( this morning) finished wk4day3 of the 'couch to 5k'!!!! I am soo excited about it but it is extremely hot and humid outside. I am running at 6:30 am to help, but I must admit that on my last leg of the 5 minute run, I wanted to, well, let's say that my tummy wanted to be sick...I fought it off. Any suggestions? This is all new to me, running, eating healthy all the time and I love it. I haven't been eating anything before I start. Is that a mistake? The last couple of times I have been trying to carry some water with me. Maybe I should drink gatorade while I run? Not sure... This heat is a killer. Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dee

Replies

• ruggie
    ruggie Posts: 26
    Options
    I was going to say run early.....but you are already doing that. I would make sure you went into the run VERY hydrated. I would also take water with you. I think eating is a personal choice. Some need to before exercise, some can't before exercise and some it does not matter. If you do it-I would make it a light carb or dairy. Maybe a banana or a yogurt. Listen to your body! One day you may feel stronger than another-that is typical. Good Luck!
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    I would eat a banana before going out and a few glasses of water. I would do that about a half hour before planning on going for the run. That way it settle in your tummy and you are hydrated well.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    What I find helps with an early morning run, especially is if it's hot and humid, is to really hydrate the day before. If my normal daily intake would be 64 oz, then I might do 80 oz and have those last 16 oz near bed time. I also drink at least 8 oz as soon as I get up and eat at half of a banana to give me a little energy. I don't eat any more than that otherwise it doesn't sit well lol. Hope this helps! Afterwards I followup with chocolate milk - it's a great recovery drink! (I use 16 oz 2% milk w/4 tbsp ovaltine)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Hydrate well before. I usually eat fruit and drink a bottle of water 30 minutes before I run. I don't really do the heat too well. I'm more likely to run the indoor track at the gym or on a treadmill when it's this hot.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    Here are some tips for running in the heat:
    1. You're already doing this, but go early in the morning--as early as you can.
    2. Wear a hat. Sun beating down on your head is a good way to work yourself into sunstroke.
    3. Run in the shade as much as you can.
    4. If you can afford to, get yourself moisture-wicking shirt, shorts, and socks. Target has a C9 by Champion line that is pretty good, and pretty affordable. Avoid cotton if you possibly can.
    5. Pre-cool your body before you go out. Take a cold shower, or just sit in front of the air conditioner for 5-10 minutes. If you can get to the point where you're almost shivering, that's good.
    6. Wet your head and hair before you head out. Wet your hat. Better yet, wet your hat and then freeze it. Anything to keep your head cool. If you run past a water fountain or anything, spray your face and neck with the water.
    7. Since you're doing C25K, I assume your runs are not super long, so you probably do not need gatorade or anything like that. However, you should definitely be hydrating before your runs. Drink a lot of water the day before you go out for a run. Carrying water is definitely a good idea. Add ice cubes to it if you can. That way it'll be nice and cold when you drink it. Sip water while you're running, and then drink more when you are done. Weigh yourself before your workout and again after it. You should not lose any weight--certainly not more than 2% of your body weight. Drink more water until your weight comes back up to what it was pre-workout.
    8. I have never tried this, but I've heard from people who say it works: wrap some ice cubes in a bandanna and tie it around your neck or put it under your hat.
    9. Focus on effort rather than time or distance. You have to work harder to run in the heat, so you might need to go more slowly. Add more frequent walk breaks to allow your body to cool off a bit. It's okay if you can't finish the runs. Just repeat the week when things cool off.

In terms of eating before a run--that varies from person to person. I need to eat before a morning run, because otherwise I get very wobbly and dizzy partway through. Some people can do 13 miles on an empty stomach (definitely not me...). Experiment a bit to see what works best for you. I'd recommend, though, that you stick to something small and light, such as 1/4 c low fat yogurt, half a banana, or (this is nice in the summer) a few spoonfuls of fruit sorbet. Avoid a lot of fat, which can make your stomach upset.

Also, be alert for signs of heat exhaustion/heat stroke:
    --severe nausea
    --dizziness
    --blurred vision
    --lack of sweat (i.e., you stop sweating)
    --flushed, hot, dry skin
    --headache
    --chills

If you have any of those symptoms, stop running and get somewhere cool as soon as you can.

Also, if it's an option for you, consider using a treadmill in an air-conditioned gym when it is truly awful outside :-)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I concur with maddox above:

Keep hydrated well in advance of running, stay out of intense sunlight (if you can), wear light (in color and weight) clothing, and make sure to get some form of recovery post run that's got a nice dose of glycogen (sugar) in it. The longer the run, the more you need this recovery. If you have long hair, tie it back and keep it out of your face :)

I run fasted, but well hydrated. That's just me, though. If I eat before I run, even one hour prior, I get side stitches in the worst way possible.

I ran 2 miles on Saturday in the 100 degree heat. All I can say is blech. It was not fun.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    It may take a little bit of experimenting to figure out what works for you. There have been posts before asking about drinking/eating before running and it has showed me that what works for one person doesn't work for everyone.

I know pretty much everyone before me said to drink a couple glasses of water before running, but if I do that (I also run first thing in the morning) I get stomach cramps and side-stitches about half way through my run. I don't get that if I just have a few sips of water before running.

I *do*, however, eat something before I run. Something light, like a banana, toast with pb, or yogurt with granola and fresh fruit. If I don't have something in my stomach I don't have the energy to complete the run.

I have the same issue of it being really hot while running and I'm lucky enough to be able to run on my apartment gym's treadmill so I can't be of too much help with that. Oh, and back to the water issue, I do bring my water bottle with me when I run on the treadmill but I sip from it maybe once or twice the entire time, usually just to help me recover from one of the longer stretches of running.

Good luck!
  • deeez1
    deeez1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks to everyone who answered my question. I will sort through each and every bit of advise and take it from there. You all are great. I wish I did have a treadmill in this hot summer heat, but I do not. Maybe next year.
    Thanks again

dee :smile:

Might be on my way to Target!...

Happy running...
  • amandahyg
    amandahyg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are some brilliant tips here and I'm looking for my hat so I can put in in the freezer overnight.

Thanks x
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Clothing, adequate hydration (pre-during-post) and shade are all important, but, ideally, you need to give yourself time to acclimate to the weather (cold included). Probably at least a week or even 2 weeks. To start with, run slower and shorter, gradually build up to getting your body used to the temperatures/conditions. You also need to preaccept the fact that you can run further and faster in cooler weather, than you can in hot/humid weather.
    In my unqualified opinion, you'll be setting yourself up for failure if you stand in front of an air-conditioning unit until you are freezing cold and then go out and run in the heat. You'd be better of sitting outside in the hot weather prior to running, so your body can acclimate to the current conditions.
    I play other sports, and when it's hot, the best thing we can do is get out there and get used to the heat while it's hot, prior to playing. The reverse is also true, when it's freezing, it's better to become more accustomed to the cold prior to the game.
    This doesn't mean sweat yourself to death, or let the tips of your fingers freeze off in the cold either. It's more like don't sit in the heated up car then jump outside and expect to simply "run" with no problems when it's almost freezing outside. Or, freeze yourself into a shivering state and then expect that "coldness" will last you well into a run when it's 100 outside. No way. Does not work.
    Invest some time getting used to the heat, then, prior to running in the heat, make sure your acclimated to the conditions. This may simply mean that you walk for 10 minutes and then start your shortened and slower run for the day.
  • laurenpence
    laurenpence Posts: 147
    Options
    Eat something small before you run or do any kind of exercise this will help fuel your body for the run. As for the heat. Do not wear cotton! Wear moisture wicking fabrics, drink lots of fluids the night before, and i would say wake up half hour earlier to help with the heat. Your body should get used to running in the heat though. When I was in the Army I was living in Arizona and even at 530 am it was 80-90 degrees. By the time we were done with our runs it would be over 100. Hydration is key to beating the heat. So like I said drink lots of water the day before!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Having run all winter I welcome the heat and humidity.

I run right out of the rack, I'm usually done running by the time I wake up. I sleep in my running clothes, drink water while I stretch, and hit the road. I've only thought about blowing chunks a couple times, but it happens. Part of the reason I prefer to run on an empty stomach....unless I'm going longer than 40 minutes. Then I drop water/food along my route.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options

In my unqualified opinion, you'll be setting yourself up for failure if you stand in front of an air-conditioning unit until you are freezing cold and then go out and run in the heat. You'd be better of sitting outside in the hot weather prior to running, so your body can acclimate to the current conditions.

I disagree. If you're talking about overall health--i.e., preventing heat stroke--it's all about keeping your core temperature down. If you start at a lower temperature, it takes longer to get overheated. (The "pre-cool" and "pre-warm" advice was advice I got from a professional trainer.) If you can lower your core temperature a bit before you go out and start exercising, you're less likely to end up overheated and in heat shock. Same thing in the cold--take a hot shower before you go out, and you're less likely to end up with frostbite or hypothermia. But, if sitting in the heat and sweating for half an hour before your run works for you, then I guess go for it... :-) I guess I don't actually have data one way or another, just advice from someone who's trained a lot of pro athletes.

That said, it is absolutely true that you need to give your body time to get acclimated to the heat. If you're used to running in 50 degrees, and then fly to Houston where it's 98 and humid, there's no way you'll be able to go out and run the same distance and speed without getting seriously ill, no matter how much you hydrate or wear special clothing. But if you're running outside most of the time as the weather heats up, and you take it slow when it it is really hot, you will give your body time to adjust.