Gonna try to live by this

Options
My boyfriend tells me all the time when I am in pain from working out "Pain is weakness leaving the body". I have to remember this when I am walking and my knee's and ankle's are throbbing, then maybe I will be able to shed another 20lbs before I go away on June 28th.

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    No, if you are walking and your knees and ankles are hurting you, stop walking. Make an appt. with a doctor to be sure you are okay. If you have an injury you can aggravate it.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree with hollisgrant. Please do not hurt yourself.
  • dpippenger
    dpippenger Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You might want to see about getting a new pair of shoes, many times its your shoes causing problems you don't realize it. It pays to go to a store where they analyze your gait and help you make good choices. First, listen to your body and go to the doctor and make sure there is not an underlying problem.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    No pain is your body trying to tell you something and sometimes what it wants to tell you is not good so it's worth taking notice.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    muscle pain (soreness), sure, joint pain, you're looking for trouble. New shoes and more varied exercise may be in order. Try something that is lower impact (elliptical trainer, swimming, more upper body workout, walking on softer surfaces like trails) on your knees and ankles and let them heal. Joint injury doesn't help you lose weight, it makes your workouts less effective, which causes you to burn fewer calories since your muscles can't work as hard. There's no upside in aggravating an injury.
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend tells me all the time when I am in pain from working out "Pain is weakness leaving the body". I have to remember this when I am walking and my knee's and ankle's are throbbing, then maybe I will be able to shed another 20lbs before I go away on June 28th.

Kick your boyfriend in the balls and then tell him "Pain is weakness leaving your *kitten*. If you are in any pain aside from muscle soreness you should see a doctor so you don't further injure yourself."
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options

Kick your boyfriend in the balls and then tell him "Pain is weakness leaving your *kitten*. If you are in any pain aside from muscle soreness you should see a doctor so you don't further injure yourself."

Best. Response. Ever.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

lol! Yes, I agree! Outside of normal muscle soreness you shouldn't have knee and ankle pain when walking.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    What sort of workouts are you doing? Maybe you need to do something like brisk walking or swimming instead if it's affecting you like that till you drop more weight. There is no need to do crazy exercise, just do something gentler. Diet is what really counts with losing weight anyway.
  • jaymesjourney
    Options

bahahaha agreed!!!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    If it's muscle pain or stiffness, then yes he is right.
    But if it's genuine pain in the knees or other joints, you are doing something wrong.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've been to the doctors, I don't have any injuries, just alot of weight on joints. I'm doing walking right now. I get shin splints I think they call them and I have plantar fasciitis. I bought a new pair of sneakers and they suck, $65 on them. The pain is just from being big and working joints that haven't worked in a long time.
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been to the doctors, I don't have any injuries, just alot of weight on joints. I'm doing walking right now. I get shin splints I think they call them and I have plantar fasciitis. I bought a new pair of sneakers and they suck, $65 on them. The pain is just from being big and working joints that haven't worked in a long time.

Heat and ice will be your best friend then unless you can find a pool to exercise in until you lose some weight. Also a treadmill is easier on joints than the road or sidewalk.