Do you ride?

Options
Dr_Flo
Dr_Flo Posts: 465
Recently (3 weeks ago) I decided to buy a bicycle and start riding again.

I havent ridin a bike in years. Wow was I in for a shock. I had forgotten just how much effort it can be. My legs have hurt more in the last few weeks that most of my adult life.

But Ive had great results from it. Im seeing tremedous gains (losses) from adding the riding into my workout routine.

Im not a group rider or serious distance guy. You wont see me out on the access road doing Tour de Texas or anything. I just bought a simple Huffy and like to ride around my neighborhood.
Occasionally I jump curbs (makes me feel like a kid again :wink: )

I feel like the day I got my first Big Wheel.. so its fun.

Has anyone else starting doing something to help your goals that reminds you of being a kid?

My 55 y/o neighbor just bought one of those big trampolines.. she doesnt have any kids.. hahaha. Occasionally I see her hoping around over the fence.. its funny. :laugh:

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    My 55 y/o neighbor just bought one of those big trampolines.. she doesnt have any kids.. hahaha. Occasionally I see her hoping around over the fence.. its funny. :laugh:

Ugh, I want my trampoline back :sad:
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

That will definitely be me some day
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Your neighbor is awesome.
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had kids so I could justify buying one
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Currently nursing a broken foot and getting a handed down bicycle tuned up. My son is finally old enough to ride in the trailer behind us, so my husband and I plan to start riding as soon as das boot is off my foot!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My husband and I recently bought mountain bikes. He's really out of shape but used to mtn. bike a lot. For now we've only ridden on some fairly level trails and roads, but yeah, I love riding as much as a I did as a kid. I hope I feel the same once we progress to the woods, though I find the thought very intimidating.

I also still like to jump on the trampoline and play on the water slide with my grandkids.
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    Yeah shes pretty cool .. she just gets out there in whatever she wore that day and hops around.. If you listen closely .. not that Im a creeper, you can hear her softly yell .. Weeeeeeeee.. lmao
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    My husband and I recently bought mountain bikes. He's really out of shape but used to mtn. bike a lot. For now we've only ridden on some fairly level trails and roads, but yeah, I love riding as much as a I did as a kid. I hope I feel the same once we progress to the woods, though I find the thought very intimidating.

I also still like to jump on the trampoline and play on the water slide with my grandkids.

I wanted to buy a slip and slide .. but Im scared that I'll hurt myself .. hahaha
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    mountain bike here! and its awesome!! also reminds me being a kid :wink:
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I wanted to buy a slip and slide .. but Im scared that I'll hurt myself .. hahaha
    you will, lol!

my husband & his friend thought they were hilarious one year and created a 40' long slip and slide by adhering 2 or 3 together. We brought it with us to a trip to St Louis for the 4th of July and they threw soap on it and went barreling down a small hill. They had bumps, bruises and cuts everywhere.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    In the process of refurbishing an old 80's model Firestone road bike. I'm hoping to get it done by June. I so miss riding all over the place like I did growing up!
  • dandy_girl
    dandy_girl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Careful-- it's addicting... 2 summers ago I busted out my barely used 8yr old hybrid/trail bike for a few rides, and ended up doing a 30 mile organized ride in the Fall. Last Summer I upgraded to a road bike ... 3 weeks before my first triathlon! :)

This year? I live in MN and it snowed last week, so I've only been out once (hopefully tonight!), and my race is in less than 6 weeks! :)... like I said... watch out... you'll get addicted quickly! But it's worth it!
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I not only ride, I race!! I started BMX racing a couple years ago at age 49. Not a serious competitior, but I beat a few people once in a while...it's a great workout!!
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I didn't have one as a kid but I've had a trampoline for the last 14 years, for the kids ya know ;) ha ha I plan on buying a Mobo soon so that my daughter and I can go on 'bike' rides together.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I had not been on one for 20 years before this past April school vacation.

I hi-jacked my daughters Monster high bike.I played like a kid with my seven and eight year old that whole week and it was great!

Jumped rope,hula hooping playing basketball...and it was a great burn!

Never lose touch with you inner child!
  • Dr_Flo
    Options

you will, lol!

my husband & his friend thought they were hilarious one year and created a 40' long slip and slide by adhering 2 or 3 together. We brought it with us to a trip to St Louis for the 4th of July and they threw soap on it and went barreling down a small hill. They had bumps, bruises and cuts everywhere.

Yeah that would be me .. I'd drench it in dish soap and get this rediculously fast running start..
    It wouldn't occur to me that a swan dive was probably not the way to mount it until after Id slid into the neighbors Buick .. lol :laugh:
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    OP: You must be a relative of Aunt Flo.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Yes, I ride, used to ride competitive trail and endurance, and a lot of pleasure trail riding ( up to 100 miles per weekend). I haven't been on a horse in nine years. This summer, that is going to change. I have a spectacular young gelding to train and enjoy.
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    OP: You must be a relative of Aunt Flo.

No Im related to the Progressive Insurance lady ..
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Fair Warning! I started out riding my kids' old bike about 7 years ago. I enjoyed it. Just riding it around the neighborhood. Then I wanted to get my own. So I bought a Huffy. I thought I was really something when I rode it 8 miles in one day...not all at one time, mind you. I started riding it around to do errands, and riding it every day. I wore it out in 3 months (Sorry, but Huffy is not known for their quality) I replaced with with a Schwinn (which I still have and still ride sometimes) and I started riding farther. A friend mentioned that he used to do Century Rides. I had never heard of such a thing. The man actually said he rode 100 miles in a day...on a regular basis. I was intrigued. Then I saw an ad for a flat century ride. No hills. Hmmmm.....By then I had gotten a slightly better road bike. A secondhand Novara. I really wondered how far I could actually ride. I entered the century ride and signed up for the metric, which was 67 miles. And I finished it. I wanted someone to kill me the last 10 miles, but I finished the thing. I had been biking for about 2 years by then. After doing a few more metric centuries on my Novara, I realized all those 20 and 30 somethings who were pedaling past me, and looking superior, were riding bikes that weighed about 1/3 what mine did. I started lusting after a Trek Road bike. I finally got one a couple years ago. Its a lower end one, but still a Trek. Cost me about 1000.00. I ride anywhere from 200 to 400 miles a month, depending on the amount of time I have available. I did my first metric century of the season a little over a week ago. It was supposed to be a 60 mile route, but was actually 65 and there was a poorly marked intersection that I went straight through instead of turning. Didn't figure it out for 4 miles. So getting back on track added a total of 8 miles. I rode for 5.5 hours, a total of 73 miles. And I passed several people from behind, who were probably half my age ;) I'm planning on doing the 100 mile route on the flat one this October. I swore I would never be caught dead in spandex bike clothes. I still hate the jersey's because they ride up, but I own several pair of spandex shorts, bike gloves, clip on bike shoes, and I"m rarely seen in anything else from spring through fall. Its like a disease! You have been warned! Continue to pedal at your own risk!