how long does it take to lose belly fat for firm abs?

Options
2»

Replies

• SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • kchicka
    kchicka Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you really watching what you eat? Write everything down even an extra teaspoon of something is a diet killer. Up the intensity of your work outs. Add interval training 3-4 times a week & really push yourself to that place of discomfort. I'm a mother of 4 my youngest is 8 months. I eat clean Mon to Mon no cheating! You have to be strict limit fruit servings to 2 per day. Cut all bead I don't care if you think its one piece in the morning replace it with a small sweet potato. Keep going & focus on getting healthy. If you focus too much on getting abs you will give up because its not an easy task.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Bump good question /
  • jennilee1985
    jennilee1985 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The thing that I have found most helpful is skipping rope. Work up to skipping for a certain length of time or a certain amount of jumps.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing. It's genetic. Some of us are born apple shaped.

99% of getting visible abs is going to a low enough body fat level for them to show. If you still have 20 pounds to go, focus on losing them first and the fat is bound to start coming off the stomach. There's nothing you can really do to spot reduce.

Around a BMI of 23 I first started to see the slight hint of ribs showing on my abdomen.
    Around a BMI of 21 I noticed my abs were looking a tiny bit flatter.
    Nearing my goal, I'm getting slight definition around the oblique region, with a slight pooch on the lower abs.

Eating clean (with a gram of protein per pound of body weight) and lifting weights helps immensely, as does eating to a SLIGHT deficit each day. I avoid binge eating and processed sugar. I eat smaller meals often.

Also, I eat fruit all the time, and probably a couple of slices of whole wheat bread per day.
    I wouldn't want to eliminate a healthy food group just to see abs, unless it was for a special occasion like a vacation.
    But honestly, it's all about body fat levels and being healthy.
  • JanaB2011
    JanaB2011 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have been working out with a personal trainer that is also a body builder. He said that eating clean is the key to the abs. No sugar, dairy and I can't remember if there is anything else. It seems like he mostly eats lean meats and green leafy veggies, egg whites, for complex carbs he eats Old fashion oatmeal, sweet potatoes. This is when he has a show coming up and he needs to really look cut. He only has between 9% to 12% body fat though. He showed me a week after his show and he lost the cut in his abs because he started eating the sugar again. He gave himself a week off before getting refocused.
  • shawnmaire74
    shawnmaire74 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Well what is your diet and exercise like? Your diary isn't open and I'd like to know what KIND of strength training and cardio you are doing.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I have had kids but I have some interesting personal stats. 10 years ago, I was 10 lbs less but when I look at my measurements from then, my legs were bigger and while my waist was smaller, I'm still 10 lbs heavier right now. I didn't run back then but I run now. SInce the waist wasn't going down with all the running, I did two things - I went to talk to my doctor about the 2 year plateau I was dealing with - we changed my diet and I started consistently going to a core class. Both have helped as my weight is now moving down again and my waist is smaller. I haven't redone my measurements just yet as I would really like to be soldily in the next size down for that and I'm still in that in-between size. I think it's both genetics about where we hold our weight and where we lose it first and changing the routine up.

You might want to add this routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zI5EoiYi1c
    Or something like it. I don't abscribe to spot reduction ideals but I do believe that if you don't exercise a muscle, you can't expect it to tone up on its own. Core invloves a lot of muscles and its amazing how many exercises are needed to develop the entire area. I think this is a fairly good article that explains why all of the core needs to be worked.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/build-your-core-muscles-for-a-healthier-more-active-future-201212285698

Good luck on your continued journey to success for your healty goals.