Training for my FIRST ever 5K-help!

Options
Ralstonk2
Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
I'm doing The Color Run in my area August 24th. This will be my first ever marathon, 5K. I'm NOT a runner at all. In fact, when I run now on my treadmill or even outside my ankles hurt so bad within a minute they start to swell but I still try. I've done a few days of C25K. What I'm wondering is what do I need to do training wise for this? I have 3 months to train for this and I want to be bad *kitten* for this and be able to run the whole thing! I'm doing this with a few other employees who I work with. And one of the girls is a lot bigger than me, like a size 16/18 but she doesn't like me but she seems to be warming up to me. And I know this sounds silly but I really want to rub it in her face to be able to do it! LOL She asked me to do it with her and a few other people. I will be starting the Advocare 24 day challenge this week-I'm waiting for it to come in! I really hope on that challenge I can lose the last 15 lbs I want to lose on that! I weighed in this morning at 137.2. My UGW is 120-125. I'm 5'4. But I really want to lose inches off of my hips/thighs. I'm going to measure them on the day I start the challenge this week I'm not 100% what they are now! But will running help with that too? Anyway, should I just do the C25K for my training for this 5K? I'm so nervous!!!! But very excited about this! It's about time I do something for myself!

Thanks! I know I just rambled. Sorry!

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Keep on going with the couch2 5k. That is going to build your endurance.
    I'm going to highly suggest putting your weight loss goal on hold till after the run. You have a goal, to utterly destroy that girl. Your already smaller then her, so don't sweat the weight.

Not sure if you will make it to week 9 or not. In the race, if you can't do the entire thing, plan out your pace and and mini breaks you need.

Also last week before the race make sure to tapper off, go on a few easy short runs. Good luck in destroying your adversaries!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, get your ankle checked out before you continue training.
    Get some good running shoes.
    Follow a good running program, (Couch 2 5k, Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway)
    Keep a daily log.
    Have fun!
  • Norfolkin_Good
    Options
    I'm not too far into training for a 5k myself... I was a bit lost initially but eventually I found a nice set of podcasts over on the NHS (UK health service) website that take you through a 10 week program where you build up the amount of running gradually.
    It is as easy as pressing play and doing what the podcast says each session.
    Link here: http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx

Good luck!

:)
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Do the 5K! It gives you a tangible (and public) goal. Besides, it is great fun! I would check to see that you have a good pair of running shoes that are fitted by a pro at a good running shop. That might help with the ankle problem. Train slowly, but steadily. Don't go out and try to run 5 miles if you have yet to run 1 mile. Increase your distance a little bit each week. Pace yourself so that you reach your maximum training distance at least two weeks before your race and then take it easy the week before your run. Best of luck!
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yes, stick with the C25K program. I just finished my first 5K event this weekend and I really feel the C25K program helps you incrementally build up your stamina. Somewhere around the third or fourth week, you'll actually start to enjoy it :)
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I did a 5K this weekend. I walked the whole thing in 45 minutes and was in the middle of the pack not at the end. It felt great. I am doing the color rad June 22nd. I am not ready to start running yet but maybe next year.
    Good Luck
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    Definitely follow the C25K, it's great! But most importantly find a place to analyze your gait and get fitted properly for a good pair of running shoes. Sounds like you are pronating. what that means is that your ankles tend to roll as you are running and proper shoes will help with that. Once you get fitted properly it should help immensley (sp?). Also you may need to do some specific exercises to help strengthen your ankles....think toe rises and heel dips (stand on a step with your heels over the edge and lower them, then raise
    them.). Best of luck you CAN do it!
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    A few recommendations to survive running:

Don't call a 5k a marathon, a marathon is 26.2 miles, not 3.1
    Don't run to rub anything in anyone's face, especially someone who invited you to run, runners are nice people who encourage others and run for themselves.
    Be consistent in your training and enjoy it!
  • NurseAshoRN
    NurseAshoRN Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing this too! I start and stop C25K all of the time...for me its a little too structured. I do better when I get outside and run until I can't anymore.. Everyday I run a little longer than the day before. But I would get those ankles checked out first lady.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just want to chime in here: The Color Run is not necessarily a straight 5k run. In each Color Run there are stations where you can stop - but don't necessarily have to - and get colored up. The Color Run is more of a fun run, rather than your run of the mill 5k's. They suggest you NOT do a timed run because the purpose is to have a good time. I use my phone as a music player and gps tracker when I run, and I definitely would not take it with me into a Color Run.

That being said, I only have one piece of advice from my short experiences - don't overtrain. And have fun!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Don't run to rub anything in anyone's face, especially someone who invited you to run, runners are nice people who encourage others and run for themselves.

seriously!!!!
    1- a 5K is not a marathon
    2- the girl was nice enough to invite you to run . . . maybe YOU are the one who has the problem with her as she seems to be reaching out to YOU
    3- running is about YOU- your pace, your goals, your success . . . yes you might want to beat her and that may push you, but run for YOU or you will quickly find excuses to NOT run
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options

seriously!!!!
    1- a 5K is not a marathon
    2- the girl was nice enough to invite you to run . . . maybe YOU are the one who has the problem with her as she seems to be reaching out to YOU
    3- running is about YOU- your pace, your goals, your success . . . yes you might want to beat her and that may push you, but run for YOU or you will quickly find excuses to NOT run
    :drinker:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Wait, someone invited you to do something fun and you want to rub something in her face?

Is this the beginning draft for Heathers 2?
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I always try to get people to run with me and the first thing they say is, "I cant" or "its too hard" Well, of course its hard, I run 3 miles 4-5 times per week and I have never found it to be easy. I mean, it does get easier, yes, BUT its not like its ever going to be a walk in the park. Just keep that in mind, when the going gets tough, push through. There will be times when you want to stop and just walk the rest of the way, but dont, you can do it. Get some good music and find a nice running trail in your area and get lost for a while. Before you know it you are done! You will love the high you get when you are done :) Just makes you feel good
  • ninav1980
    Options
    I couldnt agree with you more......
  • ninav1980
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing this too! I start and stop C25K all of the time...for me its a little too structured. I do better when I get outside and run until I can't anymore.. Everyday I run a little longer than the day before. But I would get those ankles checked out first lady.

I agree
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of drama. This girl doesn't like you but she invited you because she thinks you can't do it and you want to show her you can run the 5K because you know you can beat her because she's bigger than you?

I'm pretty sure I'm bigger than you (5'1", 152lbs), but I was able to run my first 5K in 33:25 a few weeks ago. 3.2 miles sounds like a lot but it's actually not very far at all and it'll be over before you know it. Definitely get on a C25K program. I promise you it works. I am amazed everytime I run that I went from being able to run for only 90 seconds at a time to running for 5 miles. Definitely get your ankles checked out and please get fitted for proper running shoes at your local running store. 3 months is more than enough time to get ready. Unfortunately, I can't help you with the drama.
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones opinions! And I've already been fitted for proper shoes! I have older shoes that sitll fit me that I will probably wear with my new insoles that have arch supports on them. My podiatrist just gave them to me and had them made for me. I'm currently wearing them in my newer gym shoes that I just recently had fitted for me at Bob Ronckers the running spot. I only get my gym shoes from there. I'm there for like an hour getting fitted and stuff. I love it. Expensive but well worth the money! But I will be using my old gym shoes for this run because of the color! :) And to the person who said that my ankles roll inwards, yes that is exactly what my Dr said.

And there has been a lot of tension between this girl and I at work. Until about a month ago I told her that this had to stop because it was causing work to go downhill and the rest of our employees were being effected by it as well. And so that's why I think she's slowly coming around. Because I have nothing against her. My only thing with it for me, was I've never ran and she's done 5K's before including one this past weekend and I wanted it to give myself motivation to be able to do it because if she could being bigger than me than I should have been able to do a 5K. And a few people at my work say that she's jealous of me but I don't care whatever the reason she was causing the tension and drama at our work I told her it had to stop so it slowly is but it's giving me motivation for this seeing that she asked me to do this with her.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Just run...keep your own pace and youre gonna be all right! Your running for YOURSELF enjoy it!!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just want to chime in here: The Color Run is not necessarily a straight 5k run. In each Color Run there are stations where you can stop - but don't necessarily have to - and get colored up. The Color Run is more of a fun run, rather than your run of the mill 5k's. They suggest you NOT do a timed run because the purpose is to have a good time. I use my phone as a music player and gps tracker when I run, and I definitely would not take it with me into a Color Run.

That being said, I only have one piece of advice from my short experiences - don't overtrain. And have fun!

^This, exactly. The Color Run is the most fun run I've done, but there is a reason it isn't a timed race. It was a lot more fun to me to run between stations, but to spend some time at the stations getting colored up. It was really fun to leave all the gadgets at home and just have fun. And it would be hard to run with all the kids and strollers that join in on this event. I'd say go, do your best, play, and join in when the crowd sees and starts chanting the color of the next station coming up. :)