Green Smoothies

Options
I have started drinking a smoothie made mainly from green vegetables I have on hand. My husband is now drinking them too. But, I have to add more fruit for him or a little honey. I make enough for two days. This curbs cravings ! Unreal and is filling. The color is n't too pretty but I drink it for other reasons.Put water in bottom of blender then add vegetables. I start with @ stalks of celery , 2 apples peels included, carrots, a lemon or lime minus the rind but the whilt pithy part is good.qas is the core of the pineapple. , I may add broccoli or cabbage and some flax seed I top it with a few dates and a couple handfuls of spinach or kale and start the blender on slow and turn it up as it chops it. In a regular blender I suggest putting it on highest setting then turn off andlet it rest awhile, then add more water if needed and whirl for a few more minutes on high.:drinker:

Replies

• Snatched614
    Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I read up on the benefits last week and made one yesterday. actually wasn't bad... Plan to use one as a meal replacement.. good stuff
  • pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    I have started drinking a smoothie made mainly from green vegetables I have on hand. My husband is now drinking them too. But, I have to add more fruit for him or a little honey. I make enough for two days. This curbs cravings ! Unreal and is filling. The color is n't too pretty but I drink it for other reasons.Put water in bottom of blender then add vegetables. I start with @ stalks of celery , 2 apples peels included, carrots, a lemon or lime minus the rind but the whilt pithy part is good.qas is the core of the pineapple. , I may add broccoli or cabbage and some flax seed I top it with a few dates and a couple handfuls of spinach or kale and start the blender on slow and turn it up as it chops it. In a regular blender I suggest putting it on highest setting then turn off andlet it rest awhile, then add more water if needed and whirl for a few more minutes on high.:drinker:

But don't they taste like veggies? I know I had one with orange juice, spinach and some other fruits and it was OK. But none that was mostly veggies.
  • Snatched614
    Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    For me, I didn't notice the taste of the greens. I made one this morning with 1/2 banana, 2 handfuls of spinach, almond milk, strawberries, and ice. It has alot of benefits for skin and so on. So its worth the try...
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I usually make this one - 2-3 handfuls of spinach, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 banana, 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk, 1 tsp ground flax seed. I hear celery is very pungent? Also, know from experience, that kale doesn't break down easily unless you have a ninja or a juicer.
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also had tried the veggie smoothy, kida liked it but the taste was too much for me lol.
    Now i have been drinking Shakeology and it is 10x more better then the regular veggie smoothie.
    if you need some friends for support, and motivation or have questions then def add me.
    Chris
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My basic recipe is 3 cups of greens (spinach, kale, chard, beet greens, wild greens, whatever) as much water as it takes to liquify (usually ~ 2 cups), a cucumber with peel, half a bunch of either parsley or cilantro, a good inch or more of ginger root, a few tbsp of lemon juice,and finish with a tsp of stevia. Makes 3 -4 servings.

I've experimented with adding silken tofu or yogurt to change the texture and add different nutrients, but I don't find that either is necessary. I've also reduced the greens to 2 cups and added either 2 apples, 2 kiwis, or a cup of frozen berries for variety--but I find I prefer to eat my fruit "straight." .
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of trying this as well. But 1st I need a new blender!
  • ernielaurie
    ernielaurie Posts: 80
    Options
    Google Green monster, they are so healthy and they taste good!!!
  • hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like soya milk, spinach, blueberry n banana nom nom nom!
    Another good one is orange, carrot and ginger
  • perficktangel
    perficktangel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually make this one - 2-3 handfuls of spinach, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 banana, 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk, 1 tsp ground flax seed. I hear celery is very pungent? Also, know from experience, that kale doesn't break down easily unless you have a ninja or a juicer.

The celery is definitely pungent. I choose not to put celery in mine.
  • dtorcisi3
    dtorcisi3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you add blueberries, it will take care of the "not so nice" color. I have a blendtec blender and it is worth every dollar. I make myself and husband a smoothie every day!
  • perficktangel
    Options
    My go-to smoothie is 4-6 cups baby spinach, 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 tbps stevia, 1/2 to 1 whole banana, and about a cup or so of frozen mixed fruit (from Wal Mart). It makes close to 20 oz and I drink it on the way to work every morning. Adding some peanut butter or almond butter tastes really great too. Sometimes I change up the fruit. Parsley & cilantro are great to add to it because of the health benefits, if you don't mind the taste. I love added ground flax seeds also.
  • Jokenmit
    Jokenmit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I drink one smoothie each day as a meal. only just getting into putting veggies in mine. have to say, hated the texture of kale, but loved spinach and avocado.
  • perficktangel
    Options

But don't they taste like veggies? I know I had one with orange juice, spinach and some other fruits and it was OK. But none that was mostly veggies.

It depends on the kind of veggies you use. Spinach, for example, is great because you can't taste it with the fruit. Cucumber too. Kale, parsley, cilantro, celery, lettuce...I find these have a stronger flavor & if you don't care for the flavor, I wouldn't use them. Try the spinach, though. It's my favorite so far.
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    MY FAVORITE EASY SMOOTHIE is as follows: frozen strawberries, unsweetened pineapple juice and a banana - quick, simple, easy, DELICIOUS!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Can green smoothies be made with protein powder?
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Can green smoothies be made with protein powder?
    Sure! I usually add protein powder to mine if I am drinking it as a meal replacement.
  • javonjay76
    javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This sounds AWESOME! I'm going to start making and drinking more green smoothies. I especially want to make them for my 8 yr old who does not like green vegetables ( aside from canned salted green beans). I'm hoping morning green smoothies will be a healthy start. I think green smoothies may be the only way to get him to eat them!