Plateau Help

Options
aepdx
aepdx Posts: 218 Member
Hi Everyone! I am afraid I have reached a dreaded plateau. I am going to start switching up my exercise routine here pretty soon. I am going to start biking, and I am losing access to the elliptical that I overuse (so that may be a good thing).

1) Any other great workouts you could recommend? Currently, I do yoga, elliptical, long-distance hiking and lots of walking. I don’t have a gym membership at this time. I have lost 23 pounds this way.
2) Could you take a peak at my diary and see if I should be incorporating different foods? Am I not eating enough, etc.? Too much? On the weekend I add quick cals a lot because I am out and about. I am vegetarian.

Any advice related to plateauing would be great! I have searched the forums, but would like some personal input. Thank you!

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Looks ok to me, but I would check my sodium. Anything I do not cook myself I am very conscious about the sodium amount.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Maybe track those weekend calories/nutrition for a few weekends. You may be consuming more than you realize. I use my phone note pad to jot down what I am eating (use MFP through my desk top..hey, I'm old...back off) not a smart phone (don't own one - last holdout in northeasy US) or to be really old fashioned notes scribbled on scrap aper until I get a chance to log it in. I have found weekends especially dangerous on the calorie front since I am out of my normal routine and have more access to food.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Calories seem to be on track most days on a quick look. I cannot tell if you are not drinking water or just not tracking it since most days are 0 and some are 3. If you are not drinking eough water, changing that might help.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When you say that you've plateau'ed, how long has it been since you've lost weight? And are you losing no weight or just less weight?

How are you tracking your exercise calories? If you're not using a heart-rate monitor it's possible those estimates are off and you're eating back too many calories.
  • aepdx
    Options
    Thanks for your help so far!

I do only drink water, sometimes I am lazy and don’t track it all.

I do use a HRM, so all of these calories are pretty much to a tee. If I don’t eat them back I am too hungry!

Weekends I need to work on!

It has been a few weeks since I have lost any weight. I am sure I shouldn’t worry too much until it has been a couple months, right?
  • TallBetsy
    TallBetsy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did what I heard Dr Oz (who I don't usually like) suggest. He suggests to start with protein for the first part of the day. Don't know if it makes you burn your fat more or what, but I tried it and it busted that plateau. I am a vegetarian but I will eat some egg whites. So I start with 6 egg whites fried with a spray of non-stick Canola. That and a cup of coffee with some skim milk--then head out to do my exercise. At lunch, I have 2 large sized Boca Burgers (soy, not rice based) and some raw vegetables for lunch. Then at dinner, I go a bit more liberal on the veggies--love steamed cauliflower which comes in several "colors" now. Filling, tasty, not too heavy. My favorite snack is the Lundberg Brown Rice unsalted rice cakes-but I save those for the later afternoon. Will still have 1-2 bottles of Miller Light in the evening on the weekends with my hubby. Didn't hurt the weight loss.

I was stuck at 132 for a few weeks, and busted it right down to 126 this way. I never believed in magical combinations of food, but it does seem like this new timing of the food really did help me. If you don't eat eggs, you could substitute a plain Greek yogurt, tofu, or Boca Burgers in the am. I find that the egg whites are very filling, the energy lasts much longer than carbs, and they are of course low cal and no cholesterol.

Good luck to you!
  • aepdx
    Options
    Thanks!!!