Feeling a bit sick.. new

Options
After years of eating very poorly (lots of carbs, lots of fats, lots of fast food). I was stuffing myself and often binging. I recently (3 days ago) I cut my calories to around 1200 and my carbs to around 100 by tracking my food and making healthier choices. Starting yesterday I began to feel kinda queasy and shaky and just... off. I'm eating pretty balanced, eating often, sticking to my goals. Last night I was pretty queasy. It was a cross between hunger and nausea. Even though I had already eaten dinner, I ate a 100 cal popcorn which did nothing to help my stomach. Today same thing. I had a banana because I thought maybe it was from cutting the carbs. Then I had a nice balanced lunch where I was actually full and still feel icky.

Is my body in shock or something? Is this something I just need to ride out?

Replies

• sweetheart1982
    Options
    Have you been drinking plenty of water?...I feel dizzy if I don't drink enough water while on the 1200 cal diet
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    possibly too big of a change too quickly.

How much fat are you eating? You should be getting no less than 0.35g/lb of body weight.

Also, what is your BMR and TDEE?
  • Stacey_Leeann
    Options
    I am just speaking from my own personal experience. What you are describing is exaclty how I felt when I started to count calories and watch my intake. Those symptoms lasted for about a week then I was fine. Now that I have been doing this life change for going on 65 days I can't even eat as much as I used to, even if I want to. I didn't look at your profile so I am not sure if you are a man or woman or what you weight is, but you may want to do a little research on the forums about TDEE and such. 1200 calories is very low, especially if you are going to be exercising. Good luck and stick it out! It is worth it when you see the scale go down!
  • PezAzul
    PezAzul Posts: 42
    Options
    Have you been drinking plenty of water?...I feel dizzy if I don't drink enough water while on the 1200 cal diet

Yes, pretty sure I'm getting at least 8 glasses a day, even though I'm bad at recording them.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's almost like a detox. I had the worst upset stomach for the first few weeks. I rode it out and eventually my stomach got a lot better. Now if I eat anything from what I used to, anything fried, pasta, processed or full of sodium I feel either sick or exhuasted which is weird because I used to eat like that 3-4 times a day everyday.
    Your body is getting used to something new and it will take some time especially if you go straight from unhealthy to healthy over night. Give it time.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    could be. This happened when I started Paleo about 2 years ago (I was doing a competition with my box (crossfit)). The first 3 days I felt pretty crummy. After that I started feeling better and gaining energy. It's usually only about 2-3 days you feel like that. After that everything should start getting out of your system and your body will stop going through the "withdrawal".

Should you be eating 1200 cals? What was recommended for your size and current weight? You may not be eating enough, which is why you feel sick. You may have cut the calories too fast.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am no doctor/medically trained but it could be your body adjusting to your new eating. Also, it might have something to do with blood sugars. Maybe try eating like 1500 calories, drink at least 64 oz of water, and eat protein rich foods, and try eating every 2-4 hours to see if this helps.
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    1200 is a Minimum calorie goal. Without knowing anything else it's possible you could be well below your BMR and definately well below your TDEE. Add in your body adjusting do decrease in sugar and caffine (withdraw) that can really make you feel bad. I'd evaluate your goal and make sure that is the goal you should have, then ride it out.
  • PezAzul
    Options

How much fat are you eating? You should be getting no less than 0.35g/lb of body weight.

My fat yesterday was 76g, my carbs were 115. My BMR is 1690. TDEE is calculated the same. I am a 32 yr old female. I sit all day and work a desk job. Making goals for activities, starting with walking and bicycling but haven't started yet. Today. I ate 1339 cal yesterday and 1288 the day before.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    After years of eating very poorly (lots of carbs, lots of fats, lots of fast food). I was stuffing myself and often binging. I recently (3 days ago) I cut my calories to around 1200 and my carbs to around 100 by tracking my food and making healthier choices. Starting yesterday I began to feel kinda queasy and shaky and just... off. I'm eating pretty balanced, eating often, sticking to my goals. Last night I was pretty queasy. It was a cross between hunger and nausea. Even though I had already eaten dinner, I ate a 100 cal popcorn which did nothing to help my stomach. Today same thing. I had a banana because I thought maybe it was from cutting the carbs. Then I had a nice balanced lunch where I was actually full and still feel icky.

Is my body in shock or something? Is this something I just need to ride out?

That's the way I used to feel when I was having gall bladder issues. Gall bladder? Other than that, you could be eating too little--especially if you are exercising. You need to NET at least 1,200 calories a day. As an example, my number of goal calories is 1,380 and today I did 500 calories of exercise at the pool, so I need to boost up my eating to at least 1,800 to give me a net of 1,300. I know from experience that I will start feeling weak and nauseated if I don't boost my calories to cover my exercise.
  • GauchoMark
    Options

My fat yesterday was 76g, my carbs were 115. My BMR is 1690. TDEE is calculated the same. I am a 32 yr old female. I sit all day and work a desk job. Making goals for activities, starting with walking and bicycling but haven't started yet. Today. I ate 1339 cal yesterday and 1288 the day before.

BMR=/=TDEE. If your BMR is 1690, your TDEE is at least 2028.

What is your current weight and height?
  • PezAzul
    Options

BMR=/=TDEE. If your BMR is 1690, your TDEE is at least 2028.

What is your current weight and height?

Sorry, I used online calculators. I'm 140 lbs, 5'4".
  • PezAzul
    Options
    Okay, so recalculated my numbers on MFP's calculators and another site:

BMR is 1,330

TDEE is 1690

Sorry for the incorrect numbers earlier. These should be right.
  • GauchoMark
    Options

BMR is 1,330

TDEE is 1690

smaller women have it so tough! You have a very small "window of opportunity". You need to NET at least 1330 calories a day. If you don't exercise, that means you will lose about 0.7 lbs/wk.

Any additional exercise that you do increases your TDEE, so you can theoretically increase your calorie deficit or eat more or a little of both. The main thing is that you need to net at least your BMR. Personally, I would probably just go for a 250 calorie deficit, which would put you at eating 1440 calories a day and losing 0.5 lb/wk.
  • PezAzul
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice/experience!

BMR is 1,330

TDEE is 1690

smaller women have it so tough! You have a very small "window of opportunity". You need to NET at least 1330 calories a day. If you don't exercise, that means you will lose about 0.7 lbs/wk.

Any additional exercise that you do increases your TDEE, so you can theoretically increase your calorie deficit or eat more or a little of both. The main thing is that you need to net at least your BMR. Personally, I would probably just go for a 250 calorie deficit, which would put you at eating 1440 calories a day and losing 0.5 lb/wk.

I don't mind slow weightloss, as long as it does come off. I know it will, especially given what a HUGE change in my diet I'm doing just by watching my junk food and fast foods. I haven't eaten this much real food in ages. Thanks!