INSANITY - calories burned

Options
I recently started INSANITY. I was trying to log it in my exercises, but it is not registered as one of the excercises and does not show how many calories are burned. With so many people using it and so many discussions about it, I would have thought there would be entries for this.
Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I dont do insanity but I do Tapout XT and I create the exercise so I can log my exercise and have a HRM so i know how much im burning as with both programs you do burn good amount of cals

:)
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories burned in MFP are not accurate, they are an average at best. Each person will burn a different amount of calories during each workout. For accuracy you would need to purchase a HRM and then manually put in your Exercise each day.

Polar makes some good ones I've been told.
  • BostonGrl1
    BostonGrl1 Posts: 1
    Options
    to get better results, i actually purchased the polar watch & heart rate monitor from amazon.com (a lot cheaper). the watch is about $60. tracks ur heart rate, fat burn time, and calories accurately. its very easy to use. i can tell you, i too started insanity and for the fit test, 25mins in lenth, i burned 257 calories...

hope this helps..
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have polar FT4 HRM which is fab
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Check out this link to estimate your calories burned, then you can enter it into your exercise database :)
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/exercise-activity/calories-burned-conditioning-exercises
  • AnimePrincess13
    AnimePrincess13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just finished month 1 of Insanity and I am now on recovery week. The entire time I have had an HRM but if you don't have one I would log it under aerobics low impact.
  • thomcand
    thomcand Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with needing to get a HRM. I purchased a HRM with chest strap to get a more accurate result and also do insanity. I usually burn anywhere from 450 to 700 calories per workout.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    A HRM is the best way to accurately track calories burned...but sometimes I just don't feel like wearing it! Try the site I listed below and see if that helps. It has specific Insanity work outs and you enter your weight, so it seems like it would be fairly accurate.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/exercises/calories-burned-insanity

best of luck!

just as I finished this...I notice someone else posted it :)
  • Eyesblu
    Eyesblu Posts: 60
    Options
    polar ft7 hrm love it. calories burned for each day ranges sometime significantly.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You definitely need an HRM if you want to know how many calories you've burned. MFP seriously exaggerates the calorie burns. I found it was telling me I'd burned about 2.5 times the calories I'd actually burned, once I started wearing my HRM.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    For the fit test I burned 150ish and for the first workout I burned 390 in 42mins. I havent done it since, but calories burned depends on each person.

edit** oh I am 140ish and 5'5 if this helps
  • AnimePrincess13
    AnimePrincess13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just checked that website http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/exercises/calories-burned-insanity And I am sorry but it is no where near what i actually burned during my workout. It over estimated. I would suggest getting an HRM.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    When I did the program I would burn about 100 calories per 10 minutes... so if it was 50 minutes I burned about 500 calories - pretty consistantly. I do weigh around 135 and am 5'3. I hope that helps.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure a HRM is going to give an accurate account for a workout like Insanity, since it's unlikely that you will stay in the aerobic zone for the entire workout. You'd probably be just as accurate by guesstimating 10 calories per minute.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    As others have already said, get a HRM. Everyone's intensity level is different when they work out, so it's really hard to gauge how much you're burning. In the max workouts, I burn anywhere from 450-700 per my HRM, all depends on how hard I'm working.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Log it as calesthentics or aerobics.
  • DanceFittDiva
    DanceFittDiva Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just to kind of mirror what others have said. I start my 2nd month of Insanity today and I had to also create the workout myself and use the calories from my HRM to input. I have a Polar FT4 HRM and I love it. Having a HRM is so much more accurate than trying to estimate calorie burn.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure a HRM is going to give an accurate account for a workout like Insanity, since it's unlikely that you will stay in the aerobic zone for the entire workout. You'd probably be just as accurate by guesstimating 10 calories per minute.

Um, I am most definitely in the aerobic zone while doing insanity! The only part where it might not be is the stretches.
  • Chuckwhillier
    Chuckwhillier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's what I do as well. I go with low impact so that I probably don't add as many calories burned, but it is safer that way.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Check out this link to estimate your calories burned, then you can enter it into your exercise database :)
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/exercise-activity/calories-burned-conditioning-exercises

Wow! Thanks so much for this