Pear shape question!

Options
I have recently re-begun my eating healthy and working out regime. I'm feeling pretty good about my new lifestyle change:) I would like to know, maybe from fellow pears, on some tips/eating//exercises/machines they have used in the gym to slim down.
I realize there is no such thing as spot reducing,and any exercise and calorie deficit will get me there!
But, any additional tips for my journey to loosing those last 20-30 lbs would be great.

thanks in advance:):)

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Continue eating at a deficit. Find some cardio you really like. Do some resistance training. You can't really change your shape, and your body will decide where the fat comes off from and when, so just continue to do the above listed things in order to keep your overall fat loss coming. Resistance training is especially important to preserve muscle mass. (I'm a big fan of heavy lifting, I also love Pilates, but I think the lifting helps preserve the mass better.)
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Full-body strength training is where it's at. It'll make your upper body look more proportional and your lower body more toned. I recommend weighted lunges, squats, bicep curls, tricep extensions, etc. Mixing it up is good, too. I recommend pilates if you're new to exercise, and yoga if you find yourself low on endurance or stiff. And, of course, running helps ;)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Continue eating at a deficit. Find some cardio you really like. Do some resistance training. You can't really change your shape, and you're body will decide where the fat comes off from and when, so just continue to do the above listed things in order to keep your overall fat loss coming. Resistance training is especially important to preserve muscle mass. (I'm a big fan of heavy lifting, I also love Pilates, but I think the lifting helps preserve the mass better.)

^^Exactly, I you'll see INCHES lost (which is better than scale weight) much faster with lifting than with anything else. I'm currently doing Stronglift 5x5 and trying (rather unsuccessfully) to do HIIT a couple times a week as well.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Continue eating at a deficit. Find some cardio you really like. Do some resistance training. You can't really change your shape, and you're body will decide where the fat comes off from and when, so just continue to do the above listed things in order to keep your overall fat loss coming. Resistance training is especially important to preserve muscle mass. (I'm a big fan of heavy lifting, I also love Pilates, but I think the lifting helps preserve the mass better.)

Yep.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Toning up with pilates has been great for me. But i just constantly remind myself that having big hips and a bum is no bad thing! Best you can do is let your body lose fat where it wants and increase muscle.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    I'm a pear, and even when I lost 20 pounds last year I only went down 1 pants size. My weight comes off the top first, so I'll be really thin waist up - like rib cage protusion thin - and still have plenty of junk in the trunk. I just accept that the basic shape won't change, but running and resistance training slim it down enough that my saddlebags are less bulgy. I mostly run and do Jillian Michael's videos, but I want to start lifting heavy. If it's gonna be big, I want it to be muscular.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone!! I like my shape, I just want to be effectively slimming down and leaning out my legs/bum/hips! I feel I have SO much hip and its driving me nuts lol
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am doing lunges/squats quite a bit, is that okay to do? I also incorporate some 5-10 lbs dumbbells while I'm doing them.

Also, I do elliptical and I have done the stair-master too. I'm a little leery of the stair-master because my thighs feel rock hard when I'm done, and I really don't need them to be any bigger, am I worrying for nothing? thanks xooo
  • calaz84
    calaz84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    yup I feel you my waist is 32inches hips 45inches.
    I do zumba twice a week and heavy lifting 2-3times a week plus cardio, I haven't lost any inches in my hips the last 3 months but as long as I'm toning and less jiggly Im happy with that.

Oh and I do the stair master twice a week love it I get bored and cant do the same things but I think it helps with toning
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I am doing lunges/squats quite a bit, is that okay to do? I also incorporate some 5-10 lbs dumbbells while I'm doing them.

Also, I do elliptical and I have done the stair-master too. I'm a little leery of the stair-master because my thighs feel rock hard when I'm done, and I really don't need them to be any bigger, am I worrying for nothing? thanks xooo

Yep, worrying about nothing. Your legs may be swollen from the water retention, but it will go away. Once the fat loss occurs with the calorie deficit, you'll be happy you have that muscle underneath.

Try different kinds of squats to incorporate all areas not just quads. Plie squats, curtsy lunges, etc. Good luck!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I feel I have SO much hip and its driving me nuts lol

A picture would really help us out.