How do you log exercise for....

Options
Reedern
Reedern Posts: 525 Member
I just bought a couple of workout dvd's (jilian michaels 30 day shred) and was wondering how you calculate your calories burned or what you use to log it (ex. aerobics???) Not sure what to put. I don't have a fit bit or anything to help me calculate.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've never done 30DS, but I've done Shred it with Weights, and I logged it as circuit training. I think that's what most people use for most of JM's videos.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like that gives you a pretty acurate caloric burn?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. I've never had a HRM or anything, so I just don't know. I used Spark People's exercise tracker/calculator for the bulk of my initial weight loss before finding MFP. It is very similar in burn given to MFP, and I lost 45 pounds, so it's likely not too, too far off.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I log everything from what my HRM says... but I would agree with doing it as Circuit if you don't have one.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think an HRM would be a great investment! Based on Age, Weight, Height, How Intense you perform the routines I would think your results would very tremendously from others that are different ... They aren't terribly expensive and for me they are an invaluable tool in getting the most out of my workouts!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would google online and see if other people with heart monitors have recorded or reported what they've burned, look for someone about the same weight. I found lots of results when I did that for Zumba.
  • radodge92243
    Options
    I am going to breakdown and purchase me a fit bit. I do Crossfit workouts every day and there is nothing close in the database to use for calorie burn especially in regards to strength training. It's a wonderful device especially since I can sync the information from the fit bit device to myfitnesspal.
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can take your own heart rate for now, until you get a HRM. Then you can calculate it here.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think an HRM would be a great investment! Based on Age, Weight, Height, How Intense you perform the routines I would think your results would very tremendously from others that are different ... They aren't terribly expensive and for me they are an invaluable tool in getting the most out of my workouts!

Ditto
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    There are a few different options.

You could calculate your TDEE which would adjust your daily calories to include exercise activity, then you would not need to log the calorie burn.

You could also buy a heart rate monitor (one with a chest strap for sure), which will tell you how many calories you're burning with each workout.
  • VISCIENTIST
    VISCIENTIST Posts: 31
    Options
    Before I got my HRM I logged it as circuit training. It was about a 125 calorie difference. I never ate back all my exercise calories so I still lost weight.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Before I got my heart rate monitor, I logged it under circuit training. :)
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Even if you can't afford one of the fancier FitBits or Jawbones or whatever, you can still get a moderately priced HRM at your local athletic store. I got one by New Balance at Sports Authority a while back, and it works great. It's a chest strap model with a wrist watch that holds the data. I mainly just want the total calories burned for MFP purposes.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Calisthetics is what I use.
  • Jenna_Valo
    Jenna_Valo Posts: 11
    Options
    I got Mio Motion HRM/pedometer as a gift recently and I use it religiously.
    I had been looking into getting it for some time and consider it well worth the investment
  • embrahawkins
    Options
    http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned?Workout_Programs_Videos&cc=969&page=4

I use this website. You just put in your weight, how long you do the workout for, etc, and then look at the long list of workouts to find the right one. :) hope this helps