Sweating

Options
Hey all,

I need a lot of opinions on this. I am finding that lately, when I do some exercise I am sweating alot more and my shirt is ringing wet. And I want to know is it linked to me burning more calories as I get fitter. I know that sweating is the bodys way of regulating its temperature, and that heat is how calories are burned, so does that mean as I get fitter, I will be sweating more because my body becomes better at burning calories?

Let me know.

I have read up on it but there is nothing to suggest that it is linked, I think it is, but I am not sure.

Replies

• abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Bump

I'm in the same boat and am interested in the answers to this.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Sorry! I am pretty sure that sweating a lot does not equal better fitness or a bigger calorie burn. I think it has to do with how hot and humid it is and our genetics.
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately sweating does not mean you are burning more calories. It does give you a good gauge of how effective your workouts are but it doesn't change the amount of calories burned.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Sorry! I am pretty sure that sweating a lot does not equal better fitness or a bigger calorie burn. I think it has to do with how hot and humid it is and our genetics.

Correct. Sweating is a passive form of tempurature regulation.

The only thing sweating a lot means is you sweat a lot, and you need to replace those fluids and electroltyes.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    As your HR goes up from the exercise your core body temp rises and the sweating is your body trying to cool itself down.