CURVES?

Options
has anyone done curves? did you like it ? did it work?

im looking into doing something ive not done, i have done videos, going to the gym alone, dancing at home, i need basicly a personal trainer and well the personal trainers in my town went for $25 an hour to $4o and hour i cant afford that, i called my local curves and they are doing a 50% off service fee and each mnth would only be $34 if i did the 12 mnth contract plan

Replies

• flyingspatulas
    flyingspatulas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used Curves in the past (before my knee injury) and really enjoyed it. I normally hate exercising, but Curves was actually fun and certainly brings results! Some Curves locations offer a free week for people who want to try it out, so that may be something to look into. :)
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    I did it for a while a few years back and I really enjoyed it. Life got in the way and I stopped, and once I got back on track with working out, I joined a regular gym with hubby instead. But i liked the setup and the support! Definitely something to consider if you don't have a lot of time for working out, or feel uncomfortable at a regular gym!
  • buggaboo73
    buggaboo73 Posts: 169
    Options
    I enjoyed it but I didn't see a lot of results......then again I wasn't combining it with diet.
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I did it for a little at my sisters request. I didnt really make the time to go however she went every night after work and my neice as well and they did great with it. They loved that it wasnt boring or a regular routine but that you could switch it up. I think some of them are having a 30 day trial period at the moment so check it out.
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    I too tried it and did not see any results. Not enough time for cardio because you are in constant rotation. Anything though is better than nothing. Good luck! :happy:
  • bbmumma
    bbmumma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Note the idea of circuit training (which is generally what curves is) is that you combine both strength and cardio training - basically if your heart rate is up it is cardio. Circuit training basically can give you more bang for your buck as far as exercise goes because you do strength and cardio training at the same time
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    I used curves for over a year. I enjoyed it and it worked. But - I worked up to bigger and better and there is just so much you can do there. I enjoy weight training and they didn't offer that. I usually went around the same time every day and you get to know the people and enjoy the company. It does make exercise fun and that is half the battle. Good luck
  • jtapp9
    jtapp9 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have used Curves before and I got out of it what I put into it :). Check the hours though, most of them are not open for a ton of hours like a regular gym is. See if they will give you a free week, most have the capability to do that too!
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Options
    i go today in a few hours to get the assessment and talk about there stimulus plan ....im excited! im very over weight and i bet this will be A GREAT start.......
  • SaveTheDrama
    Options
    I worked there for a couple of years. It is a good starter program, but not so much for people who are used to harder exercise programs. I will also warn you that the "trainers" have no formal training in fitness or nutrition. I was a "trainer" there for two years and most of my training was on how to sell the one year contracts. We also had scripts to learn in case members asked a question about the workout. It is a good workout, but I would recomend taking their advice with a grain of salt.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    How did the assessment go? I agree with whoever stated that you get out what you put into Curves. When I went, I saw the full spectrum of women, from those who just kinda worked the machines in a wimpy manner and barely lifted their feet on the platforms to those who reamed those machines around and jogged on the platforms.

My main problem with Curves, and a reason I am no longer a member, is that when I work out, I like to get "in the zone." I usually focus on pushing myself and trying to get a good calorie burn, I like to challenge myself to work as hard as I can and often times that involves a lot of mental pep-talking. The Curves I went to had a lot of Chatty Cathy's, women who knew each-other and loved to chit-chat while there. So it can be a lot of fun if you really want a social aspect to your workouts. I don't, so it just wasn't a great fit for me.

Anyways, hope you enjoy it there!
  • shawnalmil
    Options
    How did the assessment go? I agree with whoever stated that you get out what you put into Curves. When I went, I saw the full spectrum of women, from those who just kinda worked the machines in a wimpy manner and barely lifted their feet on the platforms to those who reamed those machines around and jogged on the platforms.

My main problem with Curves, and a reason I am no longer a member, is that when I work out, I like to get "in the zone." I usually focus on pushing myself and trying to get a good calorie burn, I like to challenge myself to work as hard as I can and often times that involves a lot of mental pep-talking. The Curves I went to had a lot of Chatty Cathy's, women who knew each-other and loved to chit-chat while there. So it can be a lot of fun if you really want a social aspect to your workouts. I don't, so it just wasn't a great fit for me.

Anyways, hope you enjoy it there!
    it went great. it was actualy cheap...$49 for the service fee and $34 a mnth for the rest of my life! i signed a year contract and im excited.......honestly if you think about it, why would an already very active person start curves? to me it wouldnt make sense but it sounds like a great thing to do when your just starting, ppl there to help motivate you and if you go in like me from doing absolutely nothing and im serious NOTHING......computer chair for 7-8 hours and then the couch plus eating thats what i do.....then this will help keep some one motivated and on the right path.....plus why would i pay for something and not do it plus I HAVE TO PAY IT i signed a contract with im happy with...........going from no exercise to this will show me some results and get me over the discouraging not losing enough or just a little at 1st.....im starting tomarrow and im EXCITED
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I am glad your assessment went well. You really will get out of Curves what you put into it. If your club offers Curves Smart, I would definitely recommend it. The Computer program makes sure that you are progressing with each session.
    Good Luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • shawnalmil
    Options
    I am glad your assessment went well. You really will get out of Curves what you put into it. If your club offers Curves Smart, I would definitely recommend it. The Computer program makes sure that you are progressing with each session.
    Good Luck!!:flowerforyou:
    i keep hearing about curves smart but she didnt say anthing to me about it.....ill surely as tho! IM SOOO EXCITED!
  • shawnalmil
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • AngieBarrett
    Options
    I've started Curves almost a year ago and I was extremely happy with the results. I lost pounds, inches, and a lot of body fat. I kept going until well into my pregnancy and loved every minute of it! I'm on the Curves Smart program and I find it extremely challenging and it keeps me motivated. I burn over 700 calories in about 35 minutes...I started back at it again a few months ago and started seeing results right away. I've had memberships at other gyms but I've never stuck with it like I have with Curves. I'd definitely give it a try :)
  • JoThrive
    JoThrive Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree with those who say that you will get what you put into your Curves workout!!! If you work the machines as hard as you can, you will get a good workout. If you go to chat, that would be a whole different matter.

I have been a member of Curves for almost 6 years, and it has been a great help to me in maintaining my strength and flexibility. I prepay by the year, so I have to go in order to "get my money's worth." LOL But it does get me moving and off the couch.

Keep plugging away, and enjoy your Curves experience.
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    how many times do you all go to curves, thinking of joining on monday, they have a special offer on in my area?

is 3 times a week enough or would you need to go about 5 times a week? :flowerforyou:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I started out going 3-4 times a week, and I have built up gradually to where I am going 5-6 times a week. I LOVE it, and I KNOW I wouldn't be where I am without My Curves Work-Out.
  • flyingspatulas
    flyingspatulas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    how many times do you all go to curves, thinking of joining on monday, they have a special offer on in my area?

is 3 times a week enough or would you need to go about 5 times a week? :flowerforyou:

I go 4 times a week for about 45 mins to an hour each time (depending on my schedule). I've seen a huge difference in this past month alone. I think that 3 times a week is the minimum they encourage you to do, but if you can go more often, it's worth it!