LARA Bar Reviews?

Options
MayaSPapaya
MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
I eat protein bars for lunch when I'm out and about, but I was thinking of switching to a new one with a little more calories than the luna bar. How are the LARA bars? Do they actually taste like their flavors or do they mostly taste like dates?

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't care for them, but my wife loves them. She swears the Apple Pie tastes like an actual pie. They range from about 190 - 230 calories, I believe.
  • purplevelcro
    Options
    Larabars are AWESOME, I eat one almost every day. Some have a little chocolate if you want something sweet and some are mostly nuts (larabar uber) for when i'm working out.

Mostly I like them because they have so few ingredients! Maybe 3 or 4 and sometimes just 2! Looking at the ingredient list on a luna bar was a real turn off for me.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I love the Lara Bars though I have to watch which ones have coconut in them since I don't like that. It's a shame that they use it so often since some of my favorite flavors like the lemon have coconut. But they are good and truly tasty. They taste like what they say they are for the most part. They have a new line called an Uber Bar and that's even better since those are strictly nuts and fruit. Another set of bars that I like is the Goodnessknows - they are more like desert to me with the dark chocolate on the bottom.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love Lara bars - my son hates them. I'd suggest buying a few bars of different flavors in single bars before you commit to buying a whole box of one flavor just in case. Also if you do a search online there's a ton of recipes if you want to try making them yourself. Seems like a lot of work to me though and I'll stick to buying them.
  • j_ringsaker
    j_ringsaker Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Depends on which one. The coconut creme pie and the lime ones were awesome. The cherry pie was OK as was the lemon merangue.

I did not care for the chocolate/coffee one.

The apple pie one does taste like apple pie, but could use fewer nuts.

I agree witht he above post that the most attractive thing about them is the ingredient list.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    LOVE larabars! Great way to curb grab a filling snack on the go and some of them have chocolate for my sweet tooth.

Luna bars are good too!
  • plandis55
    plandis55 Posts: 1
    Options
    The Larabars are delicious and recommended by Jillian Michaels.
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the apple pie one and it was very good. It really did taste like apple pie!
  • MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options
    I could live on the Cashew Cookie Larabar. Amazing.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    We've just recently gotten onto Larabars, and we've really fallen in love with them. I have one pretty much every day as an easy mid-afternoon snack at my desk. Unfortunately we don't get nearly as many of the flavours up here in Canada, and they're expensive. We've started ordering them on Amazon.com and picking them up on our regular trips down to the US.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    They're very good, though I find them to not be very filling at all for the calories. I go for a clif bar instead.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few and they are pretty tasty but I don't eat them often. The sugar content of them is too high for me, even if it is natural sugar from dates and dried fruit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    IMO too much sugar and not enough proteins for the calories. I'd try another kind of protein bar instead.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I love em. There are a few flavors I don't like, but most are good. The chocolate chip brownie is da bomb.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I tried a few of the different flavors & honestly didn't like many of them. My favorite was the Lemon Bar.