Is not eating enough sodium bad?

Options
So I'm supposed to eat 2,500 sodium but I only eat about 1,000 at the MOST. Today for example I ate about 0,700 sodium. Is it bad? How bad?

Also I would appreciate suggestions on foods rich in proteins but with not much sugar

Thank you

Replies

• onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Yes. My mother nearly died from a sodium/potassium imbalance. Keep it in the healthy range. These metals run your heart.
  • nicolecassandra
    Options
    Nah, it's ok. Cells only needs about 500mg of sodium to function properly, but make sure you won't go over 2,300. If you start feeling nauseous and vomiting and dizziness, then that's the time you have to watch out for it. It also depends at the immune system of a person. So in between 500mg-2,300mg is ok.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, you can be sodium deficient
    2. Your intake that you've listed is a little low
    3. Sodium deficiency is also extremely rare, at least in the US.

I think it's more likely that you're consuming more than you think you are. I have no idea for sure, obviously.

And high-protein/low sugar foods should be relatively easy to come by. Any meat, for example.
  • LaraMc71
    LaraMc71 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sodium is an electrolyte (chemically charged element) - you need sodium for proper cardiac function. You may want to check your last blood work up with your doctor - a normal panel includes sodium ml/L if this is your normal intake.
  • alyssamacon
    alyssamacon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the goal would be to not have more than 2500 mg. Some sodium is fine but over 2500 would be overdoing it I believe. I'm not sure what the minimum recommended amount of sodium is or if there is one.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Nah, it's ok. Cells only needs about 500mg of sodium to function properly, but make sure you won't go over 2,300. If you start feeling nauseous and vomiting and dizziness, then that's the time you have to watch out for it. It also depends at the immune system of a person. So in between 500mg-2,300mg is ok.

This!!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    No, you're not SUPPOSED to eat 2,500 in sodium, that is the MAX you should eat. You can safely eat as little as 500mg daily with no problem. It is when you go less than that, that you will suffer physical issues.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    if you get crampy get some kosher salt but it should be good
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    also, if you are doing a lot of training...especially cardio and weights, then its important to get sodium in your body, BUT, not above the recommended 2500 mg.

a huge sodium deficiency can cause problems in the long run, and my aunt was actually hospitalized for sodium imbalances in her body over a prolonged duration of time. its important to have a healthy balance of all macro and micro nutrients.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, you can be sodium deficient
    2. Your intake that you've listed is a little low
    3. Sodium deficiency is also extremely rare, at least in the US.

I think it's more likely that you're consuming more than you think you are. I have no idea for sure, obviously.

And high-protein/low sugar foods should be relatively easy to come by. Any meat, for example.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Your sodium needs depend on how much you're sweating.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yes depending upon how much exercise and what types of exercise you're doing. You need the electrolyte for your body to perform well in exercising.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    sodium, salt, (not kosher) is really the only way we get iodine (with the exception of certain shell fish) and iodine is important for the thyroid.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    No one is "supposed" to eat 2500 grams of sodium per day. That is merely the upper limit that the government deems proper. It's better to eat less. Generally 1000 is a good number to shoot for. Keep in mind we do need sodium. Not having enough is not good. But most people have more than enough. If you eat a lot of processed foods (I hope you don't) you're getting far and away enough sodium.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. The updated recomendation from the Heart Association is 2000 maximum for a healthy person. I aim for 1500 a day because I'm on a low sodium diet. If I'm at 1000, I'm THRILLED.

You're getting enough.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    If you are eating fish and vegetable you will pick up natural salts (barring you are eating fresh and not processed).