Lifting but heavier

Options
Since lifting I'm around 2lbs heavier but I feel slimmer and clothes feel looser. Is this normal?

Replies

• tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yupp muscle weighs more than fat.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Since lifting I'm around 2lbs heavier but I feel slimmer and clothes feel looser. Is this normal?

Yes.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal. Ditch the scales, go by the way clothes fit. Take pictures and measurements.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Fluid retention is normal within the first 4 months or so. It'll take some time for the scale to start moving down again, but it will. In the meanwhile, keep an eye on your measurements, because even though the scale might be stalled, it's very likely your measurements will go down.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you can do both, lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, provided if you have reserves like some of us.(reserved fat. that is). Just watch your intake.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    That is exactly whay will happen. No big deal. Be happy. Nice legs!!! Wish mine looked like yours!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I put on a lil weight as well but my legs and tummy and well everything look way smaller
  • meramirez2012
    meramirez2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same exact thing. I haven't gained, but I've stalled. My clothes are looser and my waist is smaller.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Fluid retention is normal within the first 4 months or so. It'll take some time for the scale to start moving down again, but it will. In the meanwhile, keep an eye on your measurements, because even though the scale might be stalled, it's very likely your measurements will go down.

Thanks for confirming the timeline! I started lifting in January, gained about 10 lbs, and just started seeing the scale hit closer to my January weight a couple of days ago. I definitely look leaner, and measurements prove it, even though jeans are tighter in places (I'm starting to get definition in my quads - not bulk, just that nice curve - so jeans are tighter in the thighs now). I was wondering how long it would take my body to equalize, and if you are correct, it sounds like I should see that happening soon.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal. Ditch the scales, go by the way clothes fit. Take pictures and measurements.

^^^ This is some of the best advice. When lifting go by what you looks like over the number on the scale.
  • eazy57
    eazy57 Posts: 2
    Options

WRONG.. muscle doesn't weight more than fat... it is more dense. A pound of muscle is the same as pound of fat. They are both a pound.

To the OP.. Lifting heavier will build more muscle. No not bodybuilding muscle. I would suggest adding 5lbs. Not 2.. don't be afraid of how many you do. You will build up to your rep range now. If you can do 12-15 reps a certain weight, add 5 lbs. As a general rule.

Building muscle is good so when you lose weight, you simply don't have flabby skin, but a toned defined look... and more importantly, dense muscular tissue burns more calories that fat.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

WRONG.. muscle doesn't weight more than fat... it is more dense. A pound of muscle is the same as pound of fat. They are both a pound.

:yawn:

can we collectively get over this already? We all know what is meant by this statement....

OP I have gained 8 lbs of muscle since I started lifting (maybe more). it's ok if the scale goes up. Go by measurements.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

can we collectively get over this already? We all know what is meant by this statement....

OP I have gained 8 lbs of muscle since I started lifting (maybe more). it's ok if the scale goes up. Go by measurements.

O_O 8 pounds of muscle?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

To the OP.. Lifting heavier will build more muscle. No not bodybuilding muscle. I would suggest adding 5lbs. Not 2.. don't be afraid of how many you do. You will build up to your rep range now. If you can do 12-15 reps a certain weight, add 5 lbs. As a general rule.

Building muscle is good so when you lose weight, you simply don't have flabby skin, but a toned defined look... and more importantly, dense muscular tissue burns more calories that fat.

Semantics, we all know what she meant. Muscle takes up less space given it's denser nature.

Also, OP stated she GAINED 2 pounds, not lifted 2 pounds.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Semantics, we all know what she meant. Muscle takes up less space given it's denser nature.

Also, OP stated she GAINED 2 pounds, not lifted 2 pounds.

OP, when I hit my goal weight I hired a trainer. I had a fit when in the first weigh in I gained 5 pounds after doing everything right. That was the week I fit in size 6 petite jeans! Smallest and healthiest I have felt in 20 years.

In about 3 months I started to drop weight again, but not much. My body composition changed drastically though.

I am really glad you posted this thread. After losing 36 pounds and getting fit, I had a mini-stroke and heart surgery. Went on to 2 years of hell. Now I am back to losing the 15 pounds I gained, but had not added back in my weight training.

Tomorrow I go to the gym! THANK YOU!. (I am also pulling out those 6's. I am only 5 pounds off, but I know it will be months of weight training to get into them and look good ;) )
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

O_O 8 pounds of muscle?

I know! Crazy, right??? When I joined MFP, I was 174 lbs with 40% bf (LBM = 104). My last measurement was 145, 23% bf (LBM 112lbs). Of course that is over the course of three years. I didn't have myself measured specifically when I started lifting. But when I started I was 123 lbs. After about 6 months, I was 134 at 19% bf (LBM of 109) so I guess 5 lb was newbie gains and the rest was HARD EARNED labored for bulk! LOL.

I want to note that while I went from 123 lbs to 145lbs, my waist measurement has only gone up 1" that entire time. My hip measurement went up 1", but my lower belly is flatter and my badoinkadoink is more round and bootylicious.

I aim for 16% bf as my ultimate goal. Which would be 134 lbs if I don't lose any LBM in my cut.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options

absolutely its why I don't weigh myself.

as long as your measurements are going down or up for muscle, then you're good. The way I see it.. I'm not a number, so why should I go by what the scale says.