Hypothyroidism (low thyroid)

Options
So on Thursday night I noticed that I couldn't feel my feet very well. They were numb and tingly and just generally odd-feeling. I mentioned this to my boyfriend and he said that's a symptom of diabetes. I was extremely worried that I would be diagnosed with type 2 or worse, M.S., since it runs in my family. After googling everything and breaking down from the stress of it all I decided to call a doctor the next day. They suggested I go to the E.R... I had things I needed to do that day and we all know how long a trip to the "emergency" room can take, so I opted for urgent care instead. The doctor poked my feet with needles, make them bleed, and I felt nothing. After talking for a while he decided to run some blood tests and told me they would be ready on Monday. The weekend was hell. I was convinced I had diabetes and the stress of it all was making my circulation far worse. Before I knew it the numbness was spreading into my legs and starting to affect my hands and forearms. BUT- this morning I found out that my blood sugar is normal, and my thyroid level is "off-the-charts" in that it is entirely too low. I looked up the symptoms and EVERYTHING matches. From the weight gain to the inability to lose weight to the mood swings to the sleeping 12-15 hours a day to the complete lack of energy and general weakness I feel from going up stairs or even walking across campus. I thought it was all just because I was overweight, but it turns out there's more to it! So next Monday I'm going to another doctor who will be able to prescribe a medication for me, I hope. Does anyone else out there have thyroid problems? What should I be eating or excluding from my diet? Should my calories be reduced since my metabolism is so slow? I know these are doctor questions but since he couldn't get me in until Monday I thought I would reach out to some MFPer's to see what the response was. Any advice or info is appreciated :)

Replies

• EileenT72
    EileenT72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 17 years ago. I had many of the same symptoms and more. I make sure to use iodized salt - iodine helps the thyroid. I have lost 79 lbs. since last May - and I didn't alter my calorie intake because of my thyroid problem. Once you get on medication and your levels get to normal range things will improve GREATLY. There are much worse things to have, believe me. You just have to have it checked periodically to make sure your levels are good. I'm glad you found out what was going on!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Thats scary! I am glad they figured t out I sometimes go numb when working out. Not sure why its like my leg fell asleep or something I am usually fine after a few hours though. Still probably need to get it checked out.
  • anitadanafit
    anitadanafit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doctors. Hypothyroidism can be caused by a few different things so any advice you get now would just be guesses. But let us know how it turns out.
  • sunnypj7
    sunnypj7 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I also have hypothyroidism. going on 18 years now. Same symptoms and I had the tingling in my hands but I was doing a lot of construction also so I thought that was it. Still struggle with the weight gain but now that is due to being pre-menopause so I can't seem to catch a break. Just make sure that you tell your doctor if your not feeling better after a couple of weeks, sometimes you really have to adjust the dosage and continue to monitor it over the years.

good luck
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for following up on your concerns and beginning to take a pro-active road to better health. You will probably need synthroid but it may take some time to correctly adjust the dosage. In the meantime, eat healthy, move and do what you can ( every little bit helps) and be aware of things like artificial sugars and other chemical compounds that might contribute to your energy levels.

Best of luck in your recovery and meeting future goals!
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism. I have been on meds for about 4 years. Once my med levels got things to normal I feel fine. About changing your caloric intake, check with your doc. You may not need to change where you are at. I can't tell if I have slow weight loss due to Hypothroidism or age(57) :laugh: Still, I have lost 25 pounds in three months and am heading toward 30.

This is very treatable. Not taking your meds is NOT an option. Take at the same time everyday on an empty stomach. Find a schedule for this and stick to it. You MUST drink a glass of water, and water only mind you, to wash down the small tablet.

Foods to avoid, other than iodized salt, I have no food restrictions.

Go, live, laugh, and love. Don't let this get you down.

Feel free to friend me.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doc first and get your meds figured out. Then do the research on how to proceed. Everyone is different.
    I have both hypothyroidism and Type 2 diabetes and have dropped a lot of weight since taking action. You will be fine.
    Good for you taking care of things so quickly =) Good luck to you.
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism AND Type 2 Diabetes. My thyroid condition wasn't diagnosed untl I was in my mid 40's and barely functioning. I also have numbness in my feet. Symptoms that I had been having tests run for since early childhood cleared up once I got my thyroid levels steady. I also had my mother and two daughters tested. All were hypothyroid, so you might suggest to family members that they be tested also.

Advice:

1. Be patient. It may take months or even years to get your thyroid medication just right for you. If your doctor won't listen to you about your symptoms and will only look at the blood test results, seek out a doctor that will listen to you. There is a very wide range in the "normal" area. You need to find a level that is your optimal level.

2. Take your medication correctly and don't miss a dose. Your body will not function without thyroid. It will not get better. You will need the medication for life. This is not a big deal once you get in the habit of taking it. You will feel so much better. Set alarms on your phone for daily dosage or leave it where you will take it as soon as you get up, and set reminders on your calendar for refills. See your doctor for regular bloodwork as you may need to adjust your medication as your body goes through life changes (pregnancy, menopause, etc)

3. Someone else already mentioned to eat some iodine (usually through iodized salt, but also available in seaweed)

4. Avoid soy. Don't eat tofu or other soy based foods. Don't drink soy milk. Look for toothpaste that doesn't have sorbital (soy sweetner). I have found that Tom's and Arm and Hammer work for me. The soy absorbs very quickly under your toungue even if you don't swallow any.

5. I have not adjusted my calories lower than the recommended, but I have noticed that I respond better to a low carb, low fat diet. Even if I am eating the same number of calories, if they come from chicken, fish, and veggies I will lose and if they come from pizza or mexican food I will gain or stay steady. I don't know if this is the thyroid, but just an observation I have had.

6. Count your blessings that this is diagnosed before you develop the other conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol that come from being overweight, a condition that is quite common in those of us who are hypothyroid. It is very easlily treated and you will soon feel so good you won't know who you are and where all the energy came from.

Good luck with getting your medication right quickly. You should start to feel better within 1-2 weeks of starting on thyroid supplement.:flowerforyou:
  • emmacssmith
    emmacssmith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    All these responses have been great and so encouraging! I really hope that the addition of medication will help me with weight-loss and overall health improvement! I try to exercise daily but lately the lack of energy is making it SO hard! But like I said, I'm looking forward to getting some answers and medication to try and stabilize this and hopefully improve my energy so I can work out more efficiently and live a healthier lifestyle. Thanks again for the replies! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • emmacssmith
    Options
    Thanks for your response, this is all super helpful, only thing I have a problem with is NO TOFU!?!?! WHAT!?! I eat tofu almost everyday lol it's one of my favorite foods! :'( sad!
  • emmacssmith
    Options
    Thanks for your response, this is all super helpful, only thing I have a problem with is NO TOFU!?!?! WHAT!?! I eat tofu almost everyday lol it's one of my favorite foods! :'( sad!
  • emmacssmith
    Options
    shoot I was trying to quote and instead I clicked reply and apparently there's no delete button. oh well.
  • ryoungfamily
    ryoungfamily Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 20 years ago with hypothyroidism. I let it become my excuse for not being able to lose weight. It will take time to get your dosage right but you should feel an immediate difference. It was like night and day for me. I finally got serious about losing weight at the beginning of February this year and have lost 33 pounds so far. Now my doc keeps having to lower my dosage because there is less of me. Kind of a good position to be in.
    My recommendation, if you can do it, is to become a weekday vegetarian. Meaning you are a vegetarian on weekdays but allow yourself meat on the weekends. You do not feel deprived and iIf you just watch it a little bit, your fat and simple carb levels drop almost immediately. The weight then falls off as long as you keep moving.
    Good luck
  • emmacssmith
    Options
    I was diagnosed 20 years ago with hypothyroidism. I let it become my excuse for not being able to lose weight. It will take time to get your dosage right but you should feel an immediate difference. It was like night and day for me. I finally got serious about losing weight at the beginning of February this year and have lost 33 pounds so far. Now my doc keeps having to lower my dosage because there is less of me. Kind of a good position to be in.
    My recommendation, if you can do it, is to become a weekday vegetarian. Meaning you are a vegetarian on weekdays but allow yourself meat on the weekends. You do not feel deprived and iIf you just watch it a little bit, your fat and simple carb levels drop almost immediately. The weight then falls off as long as you keep moving.
    Good luck

Thanks! I eat almost a completely vegetarian diet as it is, so that should be no problem for me. I was a vegetarian until I was 16 and even now I don't eat any red meat, just chicken from time to time.