Any luck with drinking green tea?

Options
I've been drinking copious amounts of green tea to speed up my metabolism, at least 4-6 cups per day.

Has anyone had any success with implementing this into their diet? In terms of weight loss or any other positive effects?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It helped me cut out the cream and sugar I drink with coffee....
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    A study a few years back showed that a cup of green tea will increase your metabolism by 1%. This effect topped out at 2% (meaning that if you drank 4 cups, your metabolism would only go up 2%).

So if you normally burn 2000 calories a day, the green tea would cause you to burn an extra 40 calories. Yes, your metabolism is increased, but not enough to impact weight loss.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of it. I highly doubt it has had any impact on my metabolism.

Tastes good though, and the calories are negligible. So... the positive effect is has for me, is that I drink less of the high-calorie drinks.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    No luck, but I love it anyway. And jasmine green! YUM :-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking copious amounts of green tea to speed up my metabolism, at least 4-6 cups per day.

Has anyone had any success with implementing this into their diet? In terms of weight loss or any other positive effects?
    Hey. You have my avatar lol. I was confused for a minute!
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    When I was about 6, there was always a bucket left outside in the garden. Over time it collected with rainwater and sludge and leaves and twigs, and my cousin dared me to take a sip of it for some sweets, and I did.

Whenever I taste green tea, it tastes like that. :embarassed:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

so was I, LOL!
  • ElizabethRaeBarnes
    ElizabethRaeBarnes Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A study a few years back showed that a cup of green tea will increase your metabolism by 1%. This effect topped out at 2% (meaning that if you drank 4 cups, your metabolism would only go up 2%).

So if you normally burn 2000 calories a day, the green tea would cause you to burn an extra 40 calories. Yes, your metabolism is increased, but not enough to impact weight loss.

I drink 1-2 cups of hot green tea with lemon juice at night. :) Try that. One cup a day should be perfect and more cost effective.
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Assuming that the study is correct about a peson burning upto 40 cals a day due to drinking green tea and also assuming that there are no factors that would negate the extra burn, then potentially a person can burn upto 4 lbs more in one year than if he or she hadn't drunk green tea.

So if the study truly is reliable, I'd say drinking green tea might be a good way of getting rid of a few extra pounds.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    1. It doesn't require any luck whatsoever to drink green tea (or any other tea for that matter).
    2. The most likely metabolism "boost" is from the caffeine...so in that case, consider switching to black tea or coffee
    3. I was hoping I would have a third point, but I don't...so...I'm leaving this hear as a placeholder in case I think of one in the next 15 minutes.
  • cyanidecatharsis
    Options

Hahaha, you have decent taste.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've noticed anything great other than it's improved my skin somewhat and I feel pretty good for drinking it. It makes me feel cleansed, haha.
    I think the reason why they promote it is because it's supposed to make you feel full and you are supposed to drink it before meals to stop you eating so much? I don't follow that personally, I just drink 1 cup a day for the supposed health benefits :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count on it too much... but I drink it, because I like tea anyway
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Green tea is healthy for you (just like a lot of things are). It probably will not have any significant impact on weight loss or metabolism. Other than from the caffeine, but even then it only works if your body reacts very strongly to caffeine, and if it does you probably don't like consuming caffeine (I am speaking from experience on that). So, sometimes I drink green tea. Just like all things I do not notice any noticeable effect. Unless I drink too much and then the caffeine is too high for me and then I sometimes throw up when that happens (or I get shaky and jittery), so I don't drink a lot of it (just a little bit). And I generally do not drink other caffeinated beverages (except occasionally in small amounts).
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I drink green tea every day, and to be honest, i haven't NOTICED any difference in my body other than needing to pee more often. At first i thought it was helping my skin, but my improved skin was probably just a result from drinking a lot more water in combination with my green tea. There have been numerous studies on the benefits of green tea, though (theorizing that it aids in preventing cancer and heart disease, for a couple examples. You can Google to your heart's content if you'd like), so as long as you aren't sensitive to caffeine and you like the taste, i think it's a good addition to your diet because it does contain many nutrients and is great for hydration, of course. :)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Assuming that the study is correct about a peson burning upto 40 cals a day due to drinking green tea and also assuming that there are no factors that would negate the extra burn, then potentially a person can burn upto 4 lbs more in one year than if he or she hadn't drunk green tea.

So if the study truly is reliable, I'd say drinking green tea might be a good way of getting rid of a few extra pounds.

People on these boards that ask about drinking green tea to boost metabolism aren't looking to lose 4 pounds in a year. They want it to burn off an extra pound a week, so no, it's not the miracle they're looking for.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    1. It doesn't require any luck whatsoever to drink green tea (or any other tea for that matter).
    2. The most likely metabolism "boost" is from the caffeine...so in that case, consider switching to black tea or coffee
    3. I was hoping I would have a third point, but I don't...so...I'm leaving this hear as a placeholder in case I think of one in the next 15 minutes.

I agree with #1 - I don't feel more lucky because I drink lots of green tea. LOL I am drinking it, however, because I like the taste. I don't drink coffee at all, and I'm not sure why you would advocate coffee or black tea over green (unless you are simply pointing out that coffee and black tea have more caffeine).

Green tea (especially green tea with jasmine and green tea with mint) is delicious.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the taste so usually drink a couple of cups a day. If it helps me burn an extra pound or two over the course of a year - well, that's just an extra bonus (but not one I'm counting on, or why I drink it).

Just an FYI if you're a woman who is thinking about getting pregnant, or are pregnant, be careful in how much green tea you drink. There is some concern that green tea can inhibit the absorption of folic acid, and not enough folic acid can lead to neural tube defects.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I agree with #1 - I don't feel more lucky because I drink lots of green tea. LOL I am drinking it, however, because I like the taste. I don't drink coffee at all, and I'm not sure why you would advocate coffee or black tea over green (unless you are simply pointing out that coffee and black tea have more caffeine).

Green tea (especially green tea with jasmine and green tea with mint) is delicious.

#2 is because OP seemed interested in a "metabolism boost"...and I suspect caffeine is the primary driver of the bump seen from green tea consumption. Besides, there is plenty of research indicating numerous health benefits of coffee consumption.

Don't believe all the hype...and green tea has (IMHO) more than its fair share of hype.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I like it. It won't actually make you lose more weight.