Do you think it's necessary to log vegetable intake?

Options

Replies

• khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I log absolutely everything... so yes I think it's necessary. Particularly as some vegetables are higher in calories than others but also because it isn't that difficult to have 80-100cals worth of vegetables on a plate if you are eating a high amount of veggies with your meal (which I tend to do if I'm going to have vegetables, may as well go all out!). It's still worth counting.
    If you count a coffee at 30 calories or a cookie at 60 calories, then I would log vegetables too even if they do only come out at 40-50 calories.
  • knkmfp
    knkmfp Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Everything adds up over time. 50 calories a day not logged from veggie intake will add up. In one month, that's almost half a pound. In six months, that's 2.5 pounds and then in a year, that's 5 lbs.

I definitely log all my veggies since I eat about 200-300 cals in them each day. It's up to you but I'd suggest you do.

Only if you eat 50 calories over maintenance. If you're below, you won't gain, you might just lose slower.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yep, it adds up. I log them.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I log everything, even gum

Yup. Expecially if you are on a tight calorie budget. Eating a lot of veggies over the day can add up in the 100's of calories
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful

When I decided to lose the weight this time, I tried my old WW program (points, free non starchy veg but counting fruit), and I wasn't losing at all.

I started MFP, logged my veg and found I was eating about 200 cals a day worth that I wasn't logging with WW. 200 x a month (30 days) is 6000 calories!!! (almost 2 lbs)

Now, I count EVERYTHING!!!

From a fellow WW member, I love this advice. Thanks for sharing :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes. But don't look back at my diary for examples...I was on vacation and just starting properly logging food again today...which includes 18 calories worth of red bell pepper, red onion and cilantro that I put on my tacos for dinner.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I log them...they add up for me! Sometimes I like to look at my Vitamin A, C, etc. too.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm wondering if whether or not it makes that big of a difference in daily calories to log how many veggies we eat. I can understand logging fruits because they are high in sugar and contain more calories, but I feel like it's a waste of time to log that I ate 'an orange pepper and some spinach' with my lunch when it only added about 50 calories to my diary. Again I'm only talking about the CALORIES (I know it's good to keep track of everything we put in our mouths so we can look back and see past meals etc). I'm really just thinking about logging any meat I eat daily, or how much coconut oil I use etc, as I find these make the biggest difference in calories if you're trying to eat a certain amount. Any thoughts?

I easily eat 300 calories, but usually more in just steamed and other plain veggies a day and cannot afford to not count them. But even if it was just 50 calories, I log them, because I promised myself to be honest. This means that everything gets logged; even the 4 calories for black coffee.....:o). Also, veggies have carbs....and I check those.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    As part of my lunch today, I had 94 grams of a red bell pepper (approximately half of a medium bell pepper).
    94 grams has 29 calories.
    Yes, veggies have calories.
    They add up.
    Count them.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I log everything......EVERYTHING. I even log the little things like chia seeds and flax seeds and vitamins. It may seem trivial in the moment, but it all adds up at the end of the day. Gum? Do they even have that in the food database?
  • danglarity
    danglarity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    waste of time?

it takes just a few seconds to log each food...at least for me.

I log everything, even gum :laugh:

YES! Me too...my gum adds 5 calories and I log my vitamins/supplements because combined they add 23 calories to my total (and that's only taking half the daily dose per day). I have to account for this everyday.
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    One of the main reasons I log veggies is to make sure I am getting enough fiber and consuming enough veggies.

And the calories do add up
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have calories.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    waste of time?

it takes just a few seconds to log each food...at least for me.

I log everything, even gum :laugh:

As do I
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I log them when I have them as a serving. But if I'm just putting a piece of lettuce and a slice of tomato on a sandwich then I don't.
  • DivaMaria225
    DivaMaria225 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful

When I decided to lose the weight this time, I tried my old WW program (points, free non starchy veg but counting fruit), and I wasn't losing at all.

I started MFP, logged my veg and found I was eating about 200 cals a day worth that I wasn't logging with WW. 200 x a month (30 days) is 6000 calories!!! (almost 2 lbs)

Youre right about logging everything,but I found when I stopped WW's, I stopped eating more fruit and veg,since it was going to be logged ! why eat a banana when you could have a cookie? Just saying
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't always but most of the time I do.

If I'm eating a salad with cheese, avocado, dressing, nuts...and I'm feeling lazy, I will just log the things that really count not the lettuce, tomatoes, onions...etc.

And I lose just fine. :)
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful

I sooo agree, I eat about 150-250 calories a day in veggies! I always log my veggies.
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I log everything, too, because as others have already pointed out, it does add up. While our minds recognize vegetables as being low in calories, our bodies simply know the calories as being calories, and will handle them the same way, whether they come in the form of broccoli or french fries. I even log in my 10-calorie dose of multivitamins. LOL! :)

Vitamins!! Me too lol. Mine are 20 cals though for the calcium chews :) thought I was alone on this
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! There are a lot more calories in veggies than you think!!