Plateau Help

Options
Hey, folks. Since starting here, I've made some serious progress in breaking down those extra pounds, so far losing 33 lbs. However, things have come to a crawl to near standstill, holding me at 235 lbs steadily. I'm glad I'm not GAINING, but so far, I'm not even loosing a pound every two weeks (minimal loss goal, preferable is a pound a week.) I'm reviewing everything about my diet and lifestyle to find what's slowing me down, and get back on track.

Information
Weight: 235 lbs
Height: 5'7"
BMR: 2184
TDEE: 2359 (estimated)
Lifestyle: Sedentary

So far, for several weeks, I took a long time eating as close to BMR as possible, with little to no exercise weekly. Last few weeks, I've been eating aruond 1900 to 1700 calories, occasionally boosting higher closer to 2100. I know looking at my journal, you'd see weekends are not registered. This is because I'm a little busy during the weekend to input the info, but over time I've learned to read, gauge, and know what I'm eating and how much (usually the same meals I have on my journal on listed days).

Initially a stationary bike with 30 minutes 4 days a week was part of it, but that was nixed as my bike broke early into the process, about 20 lbs out of the loss came from just watching calorie intake.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. No suppliments or tricks. Maybe I'm not seeing something in the data, or perhaps I'm missing something vital in my work. Advice would be helpful at this point.

Replies

• Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    *Nudges*
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any weight/strength training? Look up the Zig Zag method of eating.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    5:2 broke my plateau.Watch the documentary Eat, Fast and live longer. Amazing. On feast days I eat TDEE- 20%. Its working after a 7 month plateau
  • Marksman21
    Options
    If you are "gauging" every weekend and not logging (and do not intend to) then just give up with counting calories now. This is a full time, every day thing.

Understand what you're trying to say, and I'll put into it as needed if you suggest.

But on a side note, not the best way to encourage someone. We're not looking for folks to tell us to quit. 'Giving up' is not in my vocabulary at the moment.
  • Marksman21
    Options
    Are you doing any weight/strength training? Look up the Zig Zag method of eating.

Normally the answer is flat out 'No'. I've been making plans, starting this week to at least restart doing some weight training in my apartment (Basic stuff, I don't have the funds for gym or equipment, so gotta rely on good ol' fashioned body weight.). Scrunches, sit ups, push ups, squats, and lunges is the most of my list. With my bike's pedal practically ground out of the brace that held it, the bike is kinda useless at the moment.
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My Mayo nutritionist says maintaining (in other words, plateauing) for 2 or even 3 months every time you lose 10% of your body weight is best in the long run for sustained weight loss.

That aside, I stop losing weight every time I get too busy to exercise, even if I eat my BMR.

I agree about the Intermittent fasting, I often do 16-8 (fasting-eating) a day, and it helps a lot to get things kick-started.

I also agree with your last comment. Everybody does it differently, and anybody who tells you that their way is the only way, they are not worth listening to.
  • Marksman21
    Options
    To clarify, I didn't stop exercise and avoid it, relying on Calroies alone. Real life put a hamper on timings and the like, so naturally things had to be scheduled, and in my busy live, barely a half hour was available. I was managing small things, 'desk exercises' when I could afford it (I work call center), but since they days got busy during work hours, those sessions are few and far between. Some is better than none at all, no?

I do intend to replace (or repair) the bike, especially since its as shot to me as it is. I'm sure someone with some technical know how and a blow torch could fix it (exagerated, the metal is ground out, but with the right filler, you could probably keep the pedal in place, I just haven't gotten anything to work). As the bike was my favorite exercise, I do intend to add aerobics back into the mix. A half hour on the wheel felt good after a long day at work.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't give up and it's nice to read that you don't intend to.

It is possible to not log and still eat within range, especially if you're eating the same meals and quantities as during the week. You do have to watch the sneaky things that add up. A taste here, a bite of someone else's yummy looking treat, a nut or 10 while you're making dinner. I do encourage you to try logging at the weekend as much as you can, even just to check what you think you are eating actually is what you're eating.

There are several things you can do to try jumpstart your loss again. Here are some of my ideas -

* change exercise. Our bodies get used to the same exercise so switching it around can help. And include some weighted exercise along with the body weight ones. A can of fruit in each hand works just as well as a fancy brought piece of equipment. There are lots of workout routines on youtube. I can thoroughly recommend Zumba! :)

* try different styles of eating (fasting; eating main meal at a different time; grazing are a few suggestions). Some believe that keeping the metabolism guessing helps. I can't say whether it does or not myself.

* Don't give up - be persistent - keep focussed.

Eventually your body will realise. I know plateaus are frustrating, but keep your chin up and you'll win.

:)
  • Marksman21
    Options
    * change exercise. Our bodies get used to the same exercise so switching it around can help. And include some weighted exercise along with the body weight ones. A can of fruit in each hand works just as well as a fancy brought piece of equipment. There are lots of workout routines on youtube. I can thoroughly recommend Zumba! :)

Seeing how I'll be going from no exercise, yeah, that'll be a good difference. Taking it at a slow start, just going nuts could put me right back where I started before I truely begin. 1 rep of 10 each of mentioned exercises, maybe drop one or two more squats or pushups if I can feel like I can push it. I do recall the idea using household items, I done it before, can't believe I forgot. Still, thanks for the sugggestion.
    * try different styles of eating (fasting; eating main meal at a different time; grazing are a few suggestions). Some believe that keeping the metabolism guessing helps. I can't say whether it does or not myself.

This is less controlable than I normally hoped. I eat when I can, what I can, low incomes are not the easiest on the diets, but I manage to have enough range in recepies to stir things up enough. While folks see it 'zig zag', its more the fact thats just how things turned out that day. Being overweight, I'm not too concerned about being below BMR or around it, I got enough to spare to use.

Thanks for the advice and insight, I'll put that to use.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Try doing full body conditioning workouts like Jillian Michaels
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much. There's no way your BMR and your TDEE are so close. I checked on a random site and it said that with those stats, your BMR is around 1825.

What does MFP tell you to eat with the 'lose 1lb a week' setting? That's what I'd eat.

And I'd log everything. By gauging, you can easily go 200 calories over (or under) in a day.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    For me the story is good news/bad news.

The good news: I lost weight.

The bad news: To lose more I have to continue to change.

What I'm prepared to change may not be someone else's but what usually can get me back on track: Swapping out an refined carbs for low starch veggies. This doesn't mean living on celery, but reducing any products with flour or sugar to an occasional treat and not a day to day occurence.

If I'm not prepared to do that (when we have houseguests, e.g. it is Italian dinners every night), upping exercise. I love the Omron pedometer (available on Amazon.) I used to think that during my daily life I walked the requisite 10,000 steps...well, not so...my daily life is more typically 5000 steps. When I move up to 10,000 the scale moves downwards.

GL Our bodies are amazingly complex and sometimes it just a matter of viewing weight loss like an experiment in tweaking the calorie/exercise variables.
  • Marksman21
    Options
    You're eating too much. There's no way your BMR and your TDEE are so close. I checked on a random site and it said that with those stats, your BMR is around 1825.

What does MFP tell you to eat with the 'lose 1lb a week' setting? That's what I'd eat.

And I'd log everything. By gauging, you can easily go 200 calories over (or under) in a day.

That information was put together from here "http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12"

I used the tools to calculate my numbers, needs, and alterations to my macros and diet. It was in fact helping me with my weight loss for a long time, the math added up. Not saying its the holy grail, or that it is 'the answer', but it made a lot of sense, and following some of those guidelines made it actually helpful.

One thing of note, the tools also take in body fat, which last I checked was at 28%. I'd have to remeasure to get a more accurate number later, but as far as I understand that too can alter your BMR.

Added Note: I usually don't trust random sites, just places reccommended by folks who trust them. Mostly a lot of sites vary on their numbers. Too confusing to rely on most.
  • Marksman21
    Options
    For me the story is good news/bad news.

The good news: I lost weight.

The bad news: To lose more I have to continue to change.

What I'm prepared to change may not be someone else's but what usually can get me back on track: Swapping out an refined carbs for low starch veggies. This doesn't mean living on celery, but reducing any products with flour or sugar to an occasional treat and not a day to day occurence.

If I'm not prepared to do that (when we have houseguests, e.g. it is Italian dinners every night), upping exercise. I love the Omron pedometer (available on Amazon.) I used to think that during my daily life I walked the requisite 10,000 steps...well, not so...my daily life is more typically 5000 steps. When I move up to 10,000 the scale moves downwards.

GL Our bodies are amazingly complex and sometimes it just a matter of viewing weight loss like an experiment in tweaking the calorie/exercise variables.

That's the one thing I kept in mind when I started this. What I do now will not be the same a month later. Constant checking, constant alterations, and perhaps for a more permanent lifestyle. Admitedly, I also don't forget to stop and just -enjoy- myself. True, I will end up gaining pounds for it, but I can work those off just like I did the last 10. I'll consider the low-starch approach, though, should be some recepies around to make the needed alterations.
  • Tonigirl519
    Tonigirl519 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    really good thread..lost of good information...goes to show make this journey your own. And enjoy the ride....
  • kcamp79
    kcamp79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    really great thread.
    I just recently hit a plateau after loosing 20lbs. I kept weighting myself week after week and my weight would not budge.
    I kept to a pretty strict diet. No meat, dairy, fried or processed food, very low amounts of sugar, etc.
    I knew I was doing everything right but my weight would not budge. So this weekend I decided to splurge and I ate 2 krispy kreme doughnuts, and I had a starbucks frap over the weekend. I weighed myself today and i FINALLY lost 2 lbs!
    I hope this helps with your plateau I know how frustrating they can be especially when you are so determined to loose weight.
  • Marksman21
    Options
    really great thread.
    I just recently hit a plateau after loosing 20lbs. I kept weighting myself week after week and my weight would not budge.
    I kept to a pretty strict diet. No meat, dairy, fried or processed food, very low amounts of sugar, etc.
    I knew I was doing everything right but my weight would not budge. So this weekend I decided to splurge and I ate 2 krispy kreme doughnuts, and I had a starbucks frap over the weekend. I weighed myself today and i FINALLY lost 2 lbs!
    I hope this helps with your plateau I know how frustrating they can be especially when you are so determined to loose weight.

I'm pretty sure a Krispy Kreme donuts were not the true reason (god I wished it were so), but I getcha, I have a feeling it was persistance on your end. Regardless, stuff like that can happen, I don't splurge often, but I do remember to enjoy something now and then ... sometimes I come out surprised. (I have asked "How did a pizza this weekend drop me?!") I wouldn't take it for granted, though.

Granted, haven't had Krispy Kremes in a while. Maybe should stop by for one or two sometime before work. :happy:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I may have missed it, but have you recalculated your numbers since the plateau to make sure they're still accurate?
  • Marksman21
    Options
    Funny you mentioned that, but I was doing that this week. Today, if I got time at home. The last update to the numbers was about three months ago. I was sitting at 240 at the time.
  • Suzieq2004
    Suzieq2004 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I am a newbie so pleased to meet you ????????????I have already lost a good few pounds before finding this site.
    When my weight stays the same I totally change my food diary.
    I think it tricks my body as its not expecting the same food . I don't know if it works for you but it does for me. I walk everywhere possible and drink gallons of water.
    Sometimes our bodies just learn to adjust to limited calories I believe so don't shed any fat!!!!!
    Good luck suzie