Couch to 5K at a heavier weight

Options
I apologize if this has already been talked about. I am starting to feel great and want to be more active I am thinking about starting the couch to 5K. I am around 360lbs right now and was wondering if anyone around my weight has successfully been able to do it. Any tips would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I weighed about 315 when I started C25K, so I was pretty up there as far as weight goes too.

My recommendations:

1. Make sure you have good shoes for your feet. Many people will tell you to get fitted at a running store after a gait analysis. That isn't bad advice, but it also is not always the correct advice. For me, I run in "minimalist" shoes - no cushioning and no support. I'm not going to tell anyone else that they should run in them, because it is a very personal thing, but my point is to try to make sure you have good running shoes that are comfortable and don't make your feet hurt.

2. When you have good shoes, depending on your overall cardio fitness, I'd recommend a couple of weeks of 3x a week 30 minute walks before starting C25K. Its not absolutely necessary, and many people succeed even without doing this step. But it will help you gauge where you are and whether your shoes are really right before you add the stress of actually running.

3. When you start running, here are the big tips I have: 1) make sure you follow the plan - especially when you are just starting to run, it is critical to take the rest days from running. You can do other exercise on the off days, but your leg muscles will need time to recover and rebuild. 2) If you are having trouble completing a given run, SLOW DOWN. The biggest disservice I think in C25K is that the plan originally was supposed to let someone go from couch to running a 5K IN 30 MINUTES in just 9 weeks. That's not realistic for most of the population. People burn themselves out and get discouraged when they are not running at that sub 10-minute mile pace necessary to get close to 30 minutes. If you keep running, speed will come, but for now, just worry about completing the workouts. finally 3) Try to complete the workouts as written - especially the early weeks - but for the longer runs, if you occasionally feel the need to walk, go ahead and walk.

You absolutely can do this at your weight. Just take it easy and slow and listen to your body if you are overdoing it.

Good luck!

Ted
  • cbumbalough
    cbumbalough Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm close to 290 and am starting the program. I am starting out walking 3 times a week for 20 minutes for a week. Next week I'm going to do 3 days a week at 30 minutes. The next week I'm going to start the training program. My friend wants me to do a 5K with him in August and I think I have plenty of time to train for it. :)
  • jheater07
    jheater07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much this really helps!!!!
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I started c25k when I was around 280ish I think. I havent completed it yet, but thats a whole seperate story. I did do a 7k run on the boardwalk and found it exhilirating to have run 3.6 miles. Well, more like a light jog.

I think the advice that was given from the first post is EXCELLENT advice. I had to do it at my own pace and realize that I was NOT going to be a 5.5 mph runner right off the bat. I just increased my speed and am finally at 4.2 mph. I'm currently at 257 lbs. I'm not the fastest runner and I listen to my body when its hurting.

Best of luck to you!!! You will either love running or hate it. The running bug definitely bit me LOL :)
  • agw1973
    agw1973 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    First of all, Great Job wanting to start the program. I started the c25k when I weighed around 375 pounds. I have a fe tips for you.

1. As the first responder said, get comfortable shoes. That will help you from being discouraged because your feet or legs are hurting. There will be soreness due to doing the excersize but let it be from doing the actual program, not because of shoes that don't fit properly.

2. Take the rest days. You will need them. It gives your muscles a chance to adjust to what you are doing. On off days go for a nice walk or swim in a pool to keep everything loose but dont run.

3. Technically its a nine week program but don't rush through it. If you feel like you had a bad day, redo the day. There are people that I have talked to that have had to redo weeks at a time because they didn't feel like they were ready to move to the next week.

4. This is probably the most important thing in my mind. Don't think you have to "run" at a certain pace because other people are doing it. It doesn't matter if you are running at 4.0 mph or at 7-8mph. . People may say things about how slow you run or your form isnt good or whatever else people may say about you running. Honestly who gives a sh** how fast or slow you are. Your'e out there doing it, thats what matters.

5. Schedule a 5k and register for it. That is great motivation to finsih the program.

Above all else, HAVE FUN!!!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It's great that you want to start the c25k program. I'm at 287 right now and I'm still working up to it. I walk about 25 minutes every other day and I do a few intervales of running, I'm doing more all the time. But I definately can't do the intervales like the c25k program says to do. But I know if I keep at it I'll be able to soon. I know you can do it if you stick with it.
  • NakAttack
    NakAttack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    3. When you start running, here are the big tips I have: 1) make sure you follow the plan - especially when you are just starting to run, it is critical to take the rest days from running. You can do other exercise on the off days, but your leg muscles will need time to recover and rebuild. 2) If you are having trouble completing a given run, SLOW DOWN. The biggest disservice I think in C25K is that the plan originally was supposed to let someone go from couch to running a 5K IN 30 MINUTES in just 9 weeks. That's not realistic for most of the population. People burn themselves out and get discouraged when they are not running at that sub 10-minute mile pace necessary to get close to 30 minutes. If you keep running, speed will come, but for now, just worry about completing the workouts. finally 3) Try to complete the workouts as written - especially the early weeks - but for the longer runs, if you occasionally feel the need to walk, go ahead and walk.

I did not start at that weight but I wanted to say that this is EXCELLENT advice right here!!!! I agree that most people cannot run a 5K in 30 minutes after finishing the program....it has been 2 years for me and I still cannot do that!

Good luck and I think that you can do it!!!
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    All great advice above - GOOD SHOES (pay the money you won't be sorry); walk first (limits stress on your joints and gets your heart use to working); take your time and your rest days.

For me (besides shoes) a great Jog Bra was a must have...to me that was almost more important than good shoes.

Have fun and remember...NO BODY IS WATCHING. That was probably the best advice I got.