TDEE flaw?

Options
Currently eating at TDEE-20, and when I exercise my NET calorie amount drops to around 1200-1350. This gives me roughly a 1lb loss every 3-4 weeks, which is slower than I'd like, but never mind. The reason I changed to TDEE was to speed it up a little.

If this is the case, why not just eat 1250 like I was in the beginning, exercise, then eat those calories back?

I'm not sure how the TDEE method is any different to what I was doing before. Have I understood it wrong?

Replies

• Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    No flaw - at 13 pounds to go , you should be at TDEE - 10% at the very most. You're pushing too hard.

I had only 7 pounds to lose and I did it in 3 months...it was worth it :)
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    No flaw - at 13 pounds to go , you should be at TDEE - 10% at the very most. You're pushing too hard.

I don't think 1lb every 3-4 weeks is pushing too hard?
  • glennam1
    glennam1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    if you go about the TDEE -20....you don't count your exercise calories, but if you do the TDEE at sedentary then you add in exercise calories...make sense?....with you only having to lose a few more lbs the weight will come of slower...you should be about -15%
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    You should eat back your exercise calories.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Your TDEe calculation might be wrong(unless you have a small frame and have less than 10lbs to lose).Say your BMR is around 1500 and you burn around 500 calories each day.your tdee will fall around 2100-2200.20% of that gives you somewhere around 1760.
    I dont know your height and weight.folks on here did the bmr+ exercise calories before.Because that method doenst account for other daily burns-tdee-deficit is better.in my case i have a sedentary desk job and i work from home so my daily activity is very minimal-both my tdee-20 and bmr+excercise pretty much align.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Your TDEe calculation might be wrong(unless you have a small frame and have less than 10lbs to lose).Say your BMR is around 1500 and you burn around 500 calories each day.your tdee will fall around 2100-2200.20% of that gives you somewhere around 1760.
    I dont know your height and weight.folks on here did the bmr+ exercise calories before.Because that method doenst account for other daily burns-tdee-deficit is better.in my case i have a sedentary desk job and i work from home so my daily activity is very minimal-both my tdee-20 and bmr+excercise pretty much align.

I'm 5', 133lbs with a small bone structure. I don't know my bf% but I have a lot of body fat for my size. I'm mostly sedentary with about 1 hour exercise 5 days / week.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    [Edit: I agree that will only a little to lose, TDEE minus 10% should be the max for you.]

You have to account for exercise in the calories that you eat. Unless your body is *magic* and can exercise without requiring any fuel! :wink: (I swear, some people eat like they have magic bodies....)

So there are two ways to ensure that you are NETTING at TDEE -20% (or in your case -10%)

#1 -- Estimate how many calories a week that you burn exercising and set a daily goal that reflects it.
    #2 -- Set your goal in MFP to reflect your daily burn BEFORE exercise, then eat back your exercise calories.

In the first scenario, you will eat the same calories every day. On days you don't work it, you eat more than you burn. On days you do work out, you eat less than you burn. But it all averages out to TDEE -20% over the week. This option is good if you have a consistent workout schedule and if you like to eat the same amount every day.

The second scenario is better if your workout routine varies quite a bit. It is also more accurate overall. And MFP is set up better to support this method (that's why MFP reflects exercise calories in your diary and displays your NET number). This scenario is also better if you prefer to eat less on sedentary days but eat more (because you are more hungry) on highly active/workout days.

So for example (with made-up numbers):
    Method #1 -- Eat 1900 calories every day to account for 3x week exercise (netting you 1650 a day)
    Method #2 -- Eat 1650 calories every day but eat back your exercise calories so that you always net 1650

Both methods result in the same number of net calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Who told you that TDEE - % was supposed to be faster? The point is you will preserve lean body mass, but lose fat. AND you will be less likely to suffer from the yo-yo effect when you do get to your goal weight and put back on all the weight you lost when you stop dieting. You will be gradually upping your calories until you are in maintenance.

And yes, since you only have 13 pounds left to lose, you should aim for half a pound a week loss. TDEE -10% is a better goal for you.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Who told you that TDEE - % was supposed to be faster? The point is you will preserve lean body mass, but lose fat. AND you will be less likely to suffer from the yo-yo effect when you do get to your goal weight and put back on all the weight you lost when you stop dieting. You will be gradually upping your calories until you are in maintenance.

And yes, since you only have 13 pounds left to lose, you should aim for half a pound a week loss. TDEE -10% is a better goal for you.

No one said faster, but I've had a lot of negative comments about previously eating 1200 and the recommendation to switch to TDEE. I guess what I'm struggling to understand is how it is different.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if 1200 was working for you why did you switch?

The problem with MFP is the minute you post a 1200 thread the TDEE twenty percenters (I just came up with that, I kind of like it) come flying into the thread and scream "nooooo 1200 is starvation mode, or you have destroyed your metabolism bla bla ..."

I have lots of people on my friends list who do well on 1200 and others that do TDEE and others that do IF etc etc..it boils down to what works for you. If you were losing at 1200 and were not having sever hunger pains then why switch?

Myself I do TDEE minus about 300 to 500 cals a week and that works for me...

Find what works for you and do it....
  • peachfigs
    Options

The problem with MFP is the minute you post a 1200 thread the TDEE twenty percenters (I just came up with that, I kind of like it) come flying into the thread and scream "nooooo 1200 is starvation mode, or you have destroyed your metabolism bla bla ..."

I have lots of people on my friends list who do well on 1200 and others that do TDEE and others that do IF etc etc..it boils down to what works for you. If you were losing at 1200 and were not having sever hunger pains then why switch?

Because I'm losing so slowly, and I wanted to eat more to fuel my workouts.

I understand where you're coming from, though. All of the negativity surrounding 1200 made me feel bad.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Most people tell MFP they want to lose 2 pounds a week, which is not appropriate for everyone. People who have a lot of weight to lose can choose that, but for people who have less weight to lose, then half a pound or one pound is appropriate. It just takes longer when you are closer to your goal.

When people choose 2 pounds a week loss, then MFP attempts to subtract 1,000 calories per day from whatever your estimated calorie needs are, but only to a minimum of 1,200 calories, this is the least amount that you should eat for health. This amount is not appropriate for everyone. Most people need more than this.

So, one of the benefits of using the TDEE - % method is it is more tailored for you personally, and it is healthier than an improperly set MFP calorie goal. A properly set MFP goal + exercise should be somewhere near the same ballpark as a TDEE -% method.

Another benefit is that you eat the same amount every day and you don't have to track exercise calories.

If you were to go back to the MFP method, then you should set your goal to lose half a pound a week, and eat exercise calories of course.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I understand where you're coming from, though. All of the negativity surrounding 1200 made me feel bad.

TDEE - 20% won't speed anything up ..it is just another method of eating in a deficit ....with 7 pounds to go your body is going to fight to hang on to the extra weight.

you said you only work out 1x a week..why don't you look into into working out 3-4 times a week ..compound lifts and cardio will do wonders for your physique and body fat %
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

This

Additionally, the way MFP is set-up, If you set a goal of .5-1lb per week and eat back exercise calories, you will probably be averaging about the same number of calories.

So you aren't missing anything, it's just a matter of whether you eat an average amount each day or a variable amount depending on exercise.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE should take into account your exercise. When you exercise you don't count those calories and you eat at a steady numerical value based on the amount of calories your body uses to sustain basic functions (BMR), keep you moving through your normal daily activities (NEAT), and exercise (EAT). Those three factors make up your TDEE, which means unless you burn a significantly high amount of calories during exercise for the week (way above your normal burn) the calories are factored in.

TDEE=BMR+NEAT+EAT
  • peachfigs
    Options

TDEE - 20% won't speed anything up ..it is just another method of eating in a deficit ....with 7 pounds to go your body is going to fight to hang on to the extra weight.

you said you only work out 1x a week..why don't you look into into working out 3-4 times a week ..compound lifts and cardio will do wonders for your physique and body fat %

I workout 5 days a week for 1 hour. Sorry, maybe I phrased that weird. :)

I think the reason I feel discouraged is that since joining in January, I've only lost about 5 lbs. ETA: for the first 2 months or so I lost nothing!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    A lot of people don't realize that they need to eat back exercise calories with the MFP method, therefore they are NETTING far below 1200 calories. Also, MFP calorie estimates are sometimes very inaccurate for burns. Some people, like me, don't like to deal with the headache and obsessiveness of logging calorie burns so TDEE works from a mental standpoint to.
  • peachfigs
    Options

This

Additionally, the way MFP is set-up, If you set a goal of .5-1lb per week and eat back exercise calories, you will probably be averaging about the same number of calories.

So you aren't missing anything, it's just a matter of whether you eat an average amount each day or a variable amount depending on exercise.

This is what I'm thinking. It doesn't seem like TDEE, in my case, is superior?
  • deksgrl
    Options

This is what I'm thinking. It doesn't seem like TDEE, in my case, is superior?

It's a preference. Many people find it easier to eat the same amount every day and not track exercise.

Also, as I said, make sure if you go back to MFP method then choose half a pound a week. Otherwise you will be eating too little.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Okay, I changed my MFP settings to 0,5 lbs per week, and its 1500.

This is roughly what I'm eating now. Once I exercise, that goes down to about 1200-1300 calories...