First 5k Saturday

Options
Hi everyone, doing my first 5k on Saturday 5/11! Super stoked, I know I'm not going to be running the majority of it but I am going to attempt as much of it as possible any recommendations on breaking up the running and walking?

Replies

• Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Delay your urge to run too far too soon, because the adrenalin of the race will tempt you into burning yourself out early. After that, you will probably need to just go by feel. I highly recommend running with a buddy who has about the same fitness level as you do. Make it fun!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up and good luck! Don't go balls to the wall right away. I use mapmyrun for my droid and have it set to tell me when I've gone a certain distance. Maybe try doing something like that to where you run half a mile, then walk a quarter mile or do it in min like 8min jog 3min walk. I do various types of these but mostly, listen to my body. Have a blast!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Delay your urge to run too far too soon, because the adrenalin of the race will tempt you into burning yourself out early. After that, you will probably need to just go by feel. I highly recommend running with a buddy who has about the same fitness level as you do. Make it fun!

Smart man, here. Yes, have FUN. Buddies are great to help pace. If you want a regimented pattern, check out Jeff Galloway's method of run/walk. Good luck and hope you have an awesome time!