Feeling impatient

Options
I am trying to take things slow, celebrate small successes etc. And I am losing weight, which is great. But I am finding I am feeling very impatient. In the past when I have done this I have had an all of none type of attitude- as in I went full blast into diet and exercise, which of course led to great results, at least at first. But it also led to much weight being gained back.

I guess I am feeling slightly frustrated at how long this will take and how far I have to go.

Anyone else feeling the same?

Replies

• peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    oh believe me, for the first 10lbs i was feeling INCREDIBLY anxious and impatient. i'm impulsive so i wanted results fast and hard! but i realize that's why i've failed in the past. i have come to terms that it will take me another year to lose the rest of my goal weight.
    and i'm okay with that as long as i see the scale going in the right direction.

i have little goals now. 10 more lbs by my birthday in july is what i'm hoping for.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    thank you for replying :)

you are right. even if i lose 1lb a week for a year, that is 50lbs and that is pretty amazing. its just hard and sometimes little things happen to make you frustrated. like i went shopping for running shoes the other day, and nothing was fitting my feet and i just felt so awful from that. but little steps one at a time :)
  • peopletalk
    Options

you are right. even if i lose 1lb a week for a year, that is 50lbs and that is pretty amazing. its just hard and sometimes little things happen to make you frustrated. like i went shopping for running shoes the other day, and nothing was fitting my feet and i just felt so awful from that. but little steps one at a time :)
    exactly! one step at a time. 50 lbs in a year is significant! and believe me, a year goes by WAY faster than you think.
  • Mbrowne55
    Mbrowne55 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I was very impatient at the beginning of my journey 3 months ago, even though I was losing week every week and have now lost 20 lbs.

I will say that it's getting easier as time continues to pass...whether we lose weight or not. I am trying to focus on other things - smaller weight loss mini-goals and NSV's like fitting into clothes I haven't worn in a long time.

But I hear ya. It's a challenge. I hope we are learning how to develop better habits on this journey, and patience is one of them.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you from experience, I am glad I started a year ago and don't regret not losing faster at all. Focusing on small victories is the way to go. It's also nice to look at weight loss goals 10 lbs at a time (getting into the 260s, then the 250s, then the 240s etc). Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • recipe4success
    Options

exactly! one step at a time. 50 lbs in a year is significant! and believe me, a year goes by WAY faster than you think.
    thank you and best of luck with your weight loss!!
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I know what you mean! I was very impatient at the beginning of my journey 3 months ago, even though I was losing week every week and have now lost 20 lbs.

I will say that it's getting easier as time continues to pass...whether we lose weight or not. I am trying to focus on other things - smaller weight loss mini-goals and NSV's like fitting into clothes I haven't worn in a long time.

But I hear ya. It's a challenge. I hope we are learning how to develop better habits on this journey, and patience is one of them.

Patience is always an important thing to work at, I agree! I am looking forward to wearing the clothes I have waiting in my closet. I have sizes from 14-20, and I wear a 20 now so many sizes to go through. Maybe focusing on that for awhile will help.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    Let me tell you from experience, I am glad I started a year ago and don't regret not losing faster at all. Focusing on small victories is the way to go. It's also nice to look at weight loss goals 10 lbs at a time (getting into the 260s, then the 250s, then the 240s etc). Hang in there! :flowerforyou:

thank you very much :) yes I am very much looking forward to getting into the 250s again. It has been awhile!!
  • KittyMS
    KittyMS Posts: 2
    Options
    I thought there were 52 weeks. ??
  • recipe4success
    Options

of course. it was just an estimate. 50-52 lbs, either is good. :)
  • peopletalk
    Options
    Weightloss isn't always consistent?
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was mad that I couldn't buy boots this winter because they would not zip over my calves! I look forward to next winter when I can buy new cute boots. It IS slow going, but it will be worth the wait!
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I was mad that I couldn't buy boots this winter because they would not zip over my calves! I look forward to next winter when I can buy new cute boots. It IS slow going, but it will be worth the wait!

i understand completely! i bought awesome boots when i was down in the 220s awhile back that are now way too small. looking forward to wearing them again maybe next winter!
    and you will get there, we both will!
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to how your feeling. You know how hard your working on eating properly and working out that you want to see results asap.
    I work out everyday and visualize my leaner/healthier self. I know I can't see it in those gym mirrors at this moment, but some day soon it'll happen, and it's going to be so worth it!!!
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I can totally relate to how your feeling. You know how hard your working on eating properly and working out that you want to see results asap.
    I work out everyday and visualize my leaner/healthier self. I know I can't see it in those gym mirrors at this moment, but some day soon it'll happen, and it's going to be so worth it!!!

great idea of visualizing! i think that will help. i also know the more weight i lose, the easier it will be to exericse-less weight to carry around! i felt so much lighter on my feet after losing 50lbs last go around.

• Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If you cannot find patience, you are almost bound to fail.

Learn to be patient. If you're doing the work it'll happen.

It'll sure as **** take a lot more patience if you aren't putting in the work...so just look at it that way.
  • chrismpalmer
    Options
    I find one of the real problems is that we set stretch goals for ourselves. It's all fine and dandy (even commendable) that your ideal weight loss is 105 pounds, but if you constantly measure your progress against that big audacious goal, you will always feel let down and impatient.

For example, I set small goals for myself. Started at ~235. Goal one was back down below 230 (simple short term reachable goal). Goal two was 215 (The weight I was at for all of university) Goal three is 210 (There is something motivational about seeing single digits). Goal four is 199 (for the obvious reasons), and final goal is 185 (what I weighed ~12 years ago).

Step by step I am obliterating my goals, but only focused on the next step, not the end game. Keeps things in perspective and keeps me motivated.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    If you cannot find patience, you are almost bound to fail.

Learn to be patient. If you're doing the work it'll happen.

It'll sure as **** take a lot more patience if you aren't putting in the work...so just look at it that way.

very true. :)
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I find one of the real problems is that we set stretch goals for ourselves. It's all fine and dandy (even commendable) that your ideal weight loss is 105 pounds, but if you constantly measure your progress against that big audacious goal, you will always feel let down and impatient.

For example, I set small goals for myself. Started at ~235. Goal one was back down below 230 (simple short term reachable goal). Goal two was 215 (The weight I was at for all of university) Goal three is 210 (There is something motivation about seeing single digits). Goal four is 199 (for the obvious reasons), and final goal is 185 (what I weighed ~12 years ago).

Step by step I am obliterating my goals, but only focused on the next step, not the end game. Keeps things in perspective and keeps me motivated.

Definitely true. That is one reason I set my end goal at 175 lbs. I will re-evaluate when I get there. But to me this weight is so far away from being a reality that it would be amazing to get there.

But you are right, small short term goals are important too.

I started again here at ~269 lbs. Goal one is below 265 lbs (almost there!). Goal two is below 250 lbs. Goal three is below 240 lbs. And goal four is 229 lbs- where i sat for a long time after losing a bunch of weight awhile back. And in between those i have short 5 lbs goals to accomplish as well.

Thank you for reminding me of that :)
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It goes by a lot quicker than you think. I used to get discouraged by how long it would take, but when I thought of the alternative, gaining several lbs a year, it really seemed like anything was better than that. It also helps to think this is a life change, so even if you did get to your final goal overnight, you'd still need to keep up with those life style changes. So no real point rushing what you'll be continuing.

Personally I think going slower helps with readjusting mentally anyways. While I was impatient at first, I really felt it was easier to wrap my mind around the new me by slowly adapting. Also, you should remind yourself that you are totally awesome no matter what stage you're at. You deserve to love yourself at your starting weight, after losing 5lbs, 20lbs, goal weight, etc. In fact, think of these changes as proof that you like your body and want to treat it well so it'll be around for a long time. Rather than counting down, check off each day and think, "today I worked hard and treated myself well". Each day is a huge success. The rest will come in time, don't worry about it.