Fix my tush

Options
Yes this is it. It's just not right. I have not been doing too much activity mostly yoga. I'd like to do something up to an hour a day that can get me quick results and that I can maintain. Yoga is good for my overall fitness but I need to add in some cardio and some leg and but stuff. Can someone design my 4 week transformation program?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You probably can't transform in 4 weeks. Why not commit to just continuing to work towards it until you get the results you want?

That said, if you want to reshape your butt and legs, lifting weights will give you the most bang for your fitness buck. Heavy squats and deadlifts are awesome for just that.

Look into Strong Lifts 5x5 or the New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a transformation in 4 weeks, but heavy squats have done wonders for my backside. Deadlifts would also be helpful, as would lunges and variations on squats. Also, you could compliment a heavy lifting workout with the ButtLift series from the befit channel on YouTube. It's mostly bodyweight, some light dumbbell exercises, but they do really work your lower half. I'd definitely recommend heavy squatting over everything else, though.
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    I second squats and dead lifts - you'll see some great results.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    OK I know this! I do need to squat. Now I just need to do it.

One reason I'm very nervous about it is that my back is my tender weak spot and I worry so much about form. I guess I need to get a bigger mirror so that I can watch my form more I just have a skinny dollar store one right now. Any tips about monitoring form and protecting my back? Thank you!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

One reason I'm very nervous about it is that my back is my tender weak spot and I worry so much about form. I guess I need to get a bigger mirror so that I can watch my form more I just have a skinny dollar store one right now. Any tips about monitoring form and protecting my back? Thank you!

Watch videos on form. Look for videos on youtube by Mark Rippetoe. Get the book Starting Strength as well. He details good form in the book.
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Another thing to add to the weighted squats would be inclined cardio. There is a sweet spot for targeting your butt. On my treadmill it is 13% incline.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Watch videos on form. Look for videos on youtube by Mark Rippetoe. Get the book Starting Strength as well. He details good form in the book.

To add onto this... start with light weights until you learn the form and slowly increase weights. Over time, your form will be sufficient to lift very heavy.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There is a book called Strong Curves that I think is great. Strong emphasis on the glute muscles.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Yes this is it. It's just not right. I have not been doing too much activity mostly yoga. I'd like to do something up to an hour a day that can get me quick results and that I can maintain. Yoga is good for my overall fitness but I need to add in some cardio and some leg and but stuff. Can someone design my 4 week transformation program?

hey, don't we all.

start hitting the weights. barbells to be specific. a good strength training session for most people is about an hour a day. three to four times a week, revolving around the four main lifts, which are squats, dead lifts, overhead press, and bench press.

pick up the book starting strength, or new rules of lifting for women.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I better get squattin'
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    And, when you are deadlifting, if you do, go light until you are sure of your form, and add weight gradually. These are marathons, not sprints. Most important, exhale hard when you come up. It tightens your core and that really helps protect your back from injury.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A kettlebell swing is a good glute workout.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I like to think that squatting fixes all of lifes problems
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, leg press, squats. Also. Squats
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

*this

This is a series called So You Think YOU can Squat...watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao
  • saralucas2908
    saralucas2908 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    google 30 day squat challenge! i keep hearing really good results from this! im thinking of trying it too!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Squats are the answer that you are looking for.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    In addition to squats, lunges are amazing. And plié squats. And glute bridges. I love glute bridges. Amazing little exercise.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, leg press, squats. Also. Squats

Probably should add a few squats.

And, when running, maybe add some sprints. A trainer once told me running will make your butt flat, but sprinting helps to round it. Not sure if it's true- haven't looked into it, but might help. Anyone know if there's truth to this?
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Tips from someone who literally built my butt from the ground up lol.

I didnt have much to work with back there so for me it was all about lifting heavy and low reps. I also eat to feed the bum lol, lots of protein and a calorie intake of up to 2,000 a day. If I do any cardio its high incline (15) and slow pace to target the bum and not run it off.

I do:

front squat
    shoulder squat
    leg press
    single leg press
    walking lunges
    cable kick backs
    bulgarian split squats
    weight hip thrusters/bridges
    plie squats with kettles
    leg extensions
    hamstring curls
    50lb plate bench step ups
    straight leg deadlifts

I dont do these all on the same day. I train legs 2x a week.
    The days I don't train legs I do some plyo exercises like box jumps or squat jumps or resistance band step side to sides to target other areas.

It wont happen in 4 weeks, took me 4 months of solid clean eating, calorie increases and heavy leg days to start to see it pop and now it has and there is no stopping me. If you want to just do the basics then add in:

front squats (no smith machine, do the actual bar and plates)
    deadlifts - which ever you are most comfortable with without compromising form (i prefer stiff leg deadlifts)
    leg press (feet a little farther than shoulder apart, toes pointed out, never let knees bend past toes
    walking lunges with dumbells or a barbell on your shoulders. just walk the length of the gym back and forth.