Questions re: Living With Obesity At 700 Calories Per Day!

Options
My endocrinologist sent me to MFP for my diabetes. I've been steady at 260 for many years, give or take 5 pounds. He said that he could tell by looking at me, my height (5'9") and weight that I eat 3000 cal/day. I knew that wasn't true, so I went along with his little calorie counting plan to prove him wrong. (He uses MFP himself and lost about 30 pounds here.)

Yep, he was wrong. I was eating between 800-900 cal/day and "Living With Obesity At 700 Calories Per Day!" could have been written about me. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

I got a little scared by the "starvation mode" message that would come up on my screen, so I immediately adjusted to 1200 or more cal/day most days. I don't have a scale and don't weigh often, but I did weigh a week after starting MFP and had gained a pound. (Didn't bother me; I knew it was coming. I had to be gaining weight because I was eating so much more than usual.)

The questions are: How will my body "magically" know to start losing weight if I stay in the 1200-1300 calorie range? Why won't I just keep gaining weight forever and ever? What's the time frame for this change to occur? Should I be eating closer to the 2000 calorie "normal" to readjust my metabolism so that I can change to 1300/day to lose weight?

This is all very confusing for me. I understand the article in theory, but not so much in practice.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    your body is smart and when it gets the nourishment it needs you will eventually start losing weight, but your body can and will change

I find I lose more weight eating closer to my cals that MFP gives rather than eating right at 1200
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers, but I wanted to come in here and say that I am proud of you for making a change. ((hugs))
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    When your body is in starvation mode, it keeps the fat calories because that is what it can live of for "a while". When you start eating in the healthy range again, your body will realize that it won't have to store the fat calories anymore because new food is coming in that the body will burn off. If you add exercise to your routine, then eventually your body will also start burning the fat calories if you exercise long enough.

Good luck to you :)
  • CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have to go to class but I rally feel the need to write about this topic:

A person's body needs at least 1200 calories to function correctly. Without that many calories your metabolism will sink, you will actually retain everything you eat, good or bad, and become unhealthy.

If I were you, I would move your caloric intake to 1200-1300 by eating 5 small meals a day. This will spike your metabolism (good thing) and help you lose weight that you want. So, do it! :smile:
  • valeriekd
    valeriekd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple of weeks and see what happens and also I would encourage you to go back and see your Dr. and then get a recomendation for a good nutritionist.
  • tessaj2u
    tessaj2u Posts: 5
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs the first week of my diet. Now 3 1/2 weeks later I have only lost 4 lbs over all in that time. I eat 1200 or less (usually about 1100) daily. I exercise 4x a week. I feel totally defeated. Like I am always hungry and making no progress. What do I do?
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I don't have any answers, but I wanted to come in here and say that I am proud of you for making a change. ((hugs))
    Yeah I agree! You are doing great by just being here and trying!!!
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Your Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of calories needed to keep you alive if you did nothing all day (ie stayed in bed). Your BMR varies with height, sex, age and weight so a calorie intake of 1200 calories per day might not be enough to keep you out of starvation mode.

I am 158 cm tall and weigh 211 lb. My BMR is approx 1600 calories so I give my body that!! As I do not stay in bed all day my body then uses my fat stores for the extra activity. When I exercise my body needs to use more of my fat!!

I know this is probably different to what MFP says but I was told this by my Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness instructor AND IT WORKS!!

My suggestion would be to use the BMR calculator under the tools section of MFP and give your body that amount of calories and then exercise to shift even more weight.

Hope that helps and good luck

Luv Kat :smile:
  • palbiniak
    palbiniak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tessa, you are like the original poster - you aren't eating enough and your body is in starvation mode. Up your calories to at least 1200/day, more if you exercise, and eat five small meals a day and see if that helps. That said, one pound a week is actually good progess. Don't feel defeated -- feel psyched! You've lost 14 pounds!
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    great topic!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs the first week of my diet. Now 3 1/2 weeks later I have only lost 4 lbs over all in that time. I eat 1200 or less (usually about 1100) daily. I exercise 4x a week. I feel totally defeated. Like I am always hungry and making no progress. What do I do?

I would say up your protein intake, which makes you feel fuller longer. And I think you are probably not eating enough. 1200 is the bare minimum. So I would stay at that or maybe a little above. Your body is made to survive. If its not getting what it needs, its going to do what it needs to do to survive... which means holding on to anything and everything because it thinks its going to starve. My advice is definitely up your cal intake a bit.
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Tessa,

Apparently, like me, you're being mean to your metabolism. I've read a lot on the boards the past couple of weeks and consensus is that you've seriously got to eat more (which is a total pain in the bobo!) to get your body to realize that it's ok to let go of some of the calories.

No, it doesn't make sense to me either. But look at the results of all the people around us. I'm under doctor's orders (literally!) to do what I'm told to do by MFP. That means recording everything and eating as much as I'm supposed to eat.

Some days it's a fight to keep that 1200 calorie "starvation mode" warning from popping up. Some days I have to go for a walk to bank extra calories because I'm hungry. Either way, when I go in for my follow up in October, I'll be able to show the doc that I'm following orders.

If you haven't already, read that post I linked at the beginning of this thread. It might make some sense to you.
  • ljroberts
    ljroberts Posts: 3
    Options
    This is only my second week on MFP, but maybe I can help. I'm attending a weight loss class in addition to tracking calories here. They confirmed what MFP tells me-- I actually need around 1470 calories per day. The more you weigh the more your body metabolizes while at rest, which is why I need more than 1200 calories. (I started at 243 lbs.) They also emphasize water, and say you should drink half your weight in ounces of water daily, and eat half your weight in protein grams daily (not happening with the protein-- 122 grams per day?? but I do try to get at least 70-100 grams per day). When you first start an excercise routine, you also will build some muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may gain a little from that, but it also burns fat, so eventually it will even out and you'll start losing. I know how hard it is, and gaining is so frustrating. But hang in there! This is about getting healthy more than anything else. Good luck!!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist sent me to MFP for my diabetes. I've been steady at 260 for many years, give or take 5 pounds. He said that he could tell by looking at me, my height (5'9") and weight that I eat 3000 cal/day. I knew that wasn't true, so I went along with his little calorie counting plan to prove him wrong. (He uses MFP himself and lost about 30 pounds here.)

Yep, he was wrong. I was eating between 800-900 cal/day and "Living With Obesity At 700 Calories Per Day!" could have been written about me. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

I got a little scared by the "starvation mode" message that would come up on my screen, so I immediately adjusted to 1200 or more cal/day most days. I don't have a scale and don't weigh often, but I did weigh a week after starting MFP and had gained a pound. (Didn't bother me; I knew it was coming. I had to be gaining weight because I was eating so much more than usual.)

The questions are: How will my body "magically" know to start losing weight if I stay in the 1200-1300 calorie range? Why won't I just keep gaining weight forever and ever? What's the time frame for this change to occur? Should I be eating closer to the 2000 calorie "normal" to readjust my metabolism so that I can change to 1300/day to lose weight?

This is all very confusing for me. I understand the article in theory, but not so much in practice.

I am reading through this and have a few questions and comments:

First at 260 and trying to lose weight 1200 calories is even too low. Use MFP tool to set your goal to lose 1.5 lbs a week and look at the calorie count it gives you and try that for starters. Second, get an exercise plan - swimming, biking, walking, etc.. something to get your heart rate up.. You can not burn calories unless you move somehting.

Key to heart rate monitoring if you do not have a HRM is to be able to talk and not sing while working out.

Also, in your profile set up your carb, protein, sugar and fat tracking. Learn about portion sizes to ensure you are actually get that 1200 or so calories (whatever MFP says your starting calorie deficit should be). Also, after you lose 10 lbs go back in and have it recalcuate your goal and you will see a slight decress in the allowed calorie intake.

Some ideas to shoot around and I am sure if you follow most of this you will see changes in 5 weeks. Not a week at a time but look at 5 weeks for significant changes (i.e., a 7.5 lost over 5 weeks and 15 over 10 weeks).
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I am reading through this and have a few questions and comments:

I set my MFP up by answering all the questions and it gave me a target of 1370 cal/day. I'm trying, but that's a good 50% more food than I'd been accustomed to eating for years. It's going to take some time to establish the healthy patterns needed.

Every day I do feel like I'm making progress. I'm starting to move more. I'm making healthier choices. I'm getting better about eating enough. I've even got a couple of friends from round the way on here so we can hold each other accountable.

Reading what everyone has to say and getting everyone's perspective on things is the best tool I've found so far.

Thanks, Everyone, not just for responding to this thread, but for all the responses in all the threads about everything.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You are welcome and just think, all that time you were not eating enough and not moving enough yet saw no gains. Do not expect change overnight. The body has to get used to being fed. It is a shock to it now that it is getting enough food for once and it may continue to hoard like before but once the shock session is over and exercise is added you will see what we are all trying to convey to you.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    bump to read later. :)
  • ziggy1957
    Options
    wow! that sounds really sounds good and i will try it.....i joined a gym and downloaded this app ......... is there a time limit that i should beware of ? like only take in 700 calories per day for a month........ or just mix it up , 700 calories m-f and regular intake weekends. i will try it and see how my body feels..... thanks again.......