Struggling; I need Motivation!

Options
Started as a Vegetarian yesterday. I'm way over my calorie goal and completely devastated. It's been such a struggle, and it's only been a week. I feel like i'm getting nowhere. I've continually eaten over my sugar goal, and have changed my eating habits and still no results. It's like i'm trying to run through quick sand.

Replies

• ITS_NVR_2_L8
    Options
    First off, give yourself a break! it can take 3 to 8 weeks to see results (depending on your starting weight). Secondly, if you don't make mistakes, that means you aren't really trying! The time is going to pass, the sun is going to rise, day after day, no matter how we treat ourselves. Tomorrow is a new day, pick yourself back up and try again tomorrow! The end goal to be healthy is not perfection, it is PROGRESS!! As long as you are making progress, even if that means changing one small thing for the better through out your day, you are doing an amazing job! It means that you're doing one more thing to better yourself than you were yesterday. You can do this. :)
  • cnice321
    cnice321 Posts: 14
    Options
    It's a tough program to start and get used to, especially when it sets you at a low calorie count. It'll be easy to go over at first or you'll feel like you're starving on the days that you don't. But your body does adjust and you do start to get a better understanding and better watch on the calories and nutrition info on your foods. If the first change is just that you start to care more or become more aware, then you've already taken a first big step. Remember, you didn't put the weight on in a day or a week, so you can't expect it to come off that quickly either. Practice patience and adjust to new habits and the results will come. Also, if you're just logging food, add in some exercise if you can so you can and earn some more calories. Whatever you do don't lose focus on your goal and don't take the easy way out of giving up! You can do this!
  • livestrong_livelong
    Options
    Thanks you both so much! I wish I had seen this sooner. congrats to the both of you on your weight loss! It means a lot to know you're not alone. Both of you, really,helped a lot.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I found that I was eating over my sugar goal too. Then I realized that sugar is a carb, and my carbs are already being tracked, so I don't need to track sugar. I removed sugar from my list, and replaced it with cholesterol, as I am being medicated for it. you too can change what you are tracking. Good luck!
  • livestrong_livelong
    Options
    Thank you! God Bless! And congrats on the weight loss!
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Just give yourself time.
    I also am a vegetarian.
    Just log your calories and get your exercise extra points.
    Don't worry about the sugar, because fruit has natural sugar and I found myself going over because I eat a lot of fruit.
    You can add me as a friend if you wish.
    I have found if I go under the calorie goal, I am losing my weight.
    My Calorie goal is 1200 but I keep my calories at about 1000.
  • carriepbm
    carriepbm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can modify the levels you want by selecting custom goals and entering your own numbers. The difference will have to come from somewhere, though. Perhaps fats? Be sure to get protein which is satisfying, and go for veggies or the low glycemic fruits as snacks because they won't spike and crash your blood sugar.
  • CaseyDendler
    CaseyDendler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am usually also over on sugar! I eat mostly fruits and veggies so I'm glad that other people are noticing that happening too! Keep pushing through it, the first week or so is really a challenge but it gets much easier! :)
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It takes at least a week to create a habit.. so give yourself time... you are making a life change..keep positive...you will make it....
  • FedoraNinja
    FedoraNinja Posts: 45
    Options
    Don't try to change everything all at once. Be gentle with yourself.

For right now, focus solely on being within your calorie goals and sticking with your vegetarian diet. Really, had you not already started, I'd tell you to either pick calories or learning to live without meat, not both at once.

Don't try to go straight to the healthiest diet you can imagine. Just focus on healthier. Just go one change at a time, and get used to each new improvement in your life as you go.

Try to make lifestyle changes so small you can't fail. If you make many small changes, you'll quickly find they add up to where you want to be.
  • courtneylyn1
    courtneylyn1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian since I was very little. I typically go over on my carbs. They are my weakness. Start gradually! We don't want to put our body into starvation mode. Add me if you would like some support. :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Watch your cheese intake. When I first went vegetarian, I tended to binge on cheese as a subsititue for meat, particularly when eating out. Try to eat more unprocessed veggies, cooked how you like them. I find that a spinach salad with very light dressing will tide me over through a craving and keep me full for a while.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Bad days happen all of the time.

Look at the long term big picture - three months, one year, five years.