Low sodium lunchmeats?

ladybug1620
ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I am looking for a low sodium alternative to lunch meats. I know I can make chicken or lean meats the night before and bring them to lunch, but I need some more options because I am getting bored. I bring low fat or fat free lunch meat some times to use in salads or on whole wheat bread, but the sodium is ridiculous. Does the meats directly from the deli (i.e. not in the lunch meat aisle) have less sodium? Or are there low sodium products in the lunch meat aisle (forgive me, I haven't yet looked because I had no clue the sodium in the regular stuff was so high). Anyone have particular products they recommend?

Replies

• ashleyp35
    ashleyp35 Posts: 53
    I've been eating the sandwich ready tuna by starkist. That might be something new you can try
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I eat canned tuna - but you have to be careful, because a serving is usually 1/2 a can, so if you eat a whole can some of them have sodium no better than lunchmeat (some are better than others).

For lunchmeat, I eat "Oscar Mayer - Deli Fresh Mesquite Smoked Turkey Breast-Shaved" - it's much lower in sodium that a lot of the other choices. 1 serving was sufficient for me, and it's under 400 mg of sodium.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    I don't think the deli meats are much better sodium wise than the pre-packaged stuff. I've seen Hormel Natural (in the prepackaged aisle) which is supposed to be preservative free but not sure where they are on sodium. Ever thought about baking your own chicken or turkey breast and slicing it for a sandwich? Or, if you are near a Whole Foods type store they might be able to give you some more options.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    I want to say that Dietz & Watson has low(er) sodium lunch meat. They carry that in the deli case at the grocery stores by me.
    Or it goes back to the old days. Cook up a turkey and slice away girl!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Hillshire Farms has started making lower sodium lunch meats. You could try natural peanut butter sandwiches.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    I do the Boca vegan Original burger patty. It is actually pretty tasty, only 280g sodium. It is frozen, so you need to microwave it before eating, so if you don't have a micro at work (or wherever) it isn't an option, just thought I would throw that out there.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Yes, even those deli meats are no healthier than their pre-packaged counterparts.
    I have gotten into the habit of ALWAYS cooking an extra portion (or two) of our protein with dinner to save for the next day's lunch. On days where this is not possible we boil some eggs for egg salad, or rely on a low sodium can of tuna. If Im really in a bind I'll open a can of chick peas (or garbonzo beans, whatever you call them) to throw in my salad, but this is not ideal as they are not as high in protein as an actual meat substance and I don't end up feeling as full throughout the afternoon so have to bring a portion of almonds to get through the day.
    I often buy a roast (lean pork usually as it is my husbands favorite) when it is on sale to slow cook over the weekend, slice, and freeze. I tend to eat salads with some protein, but my husband still likes his sandwich for lunch. I do a good dry rub marinade and slow cook it for about 6 hours. This makes excellent sandwiches, and since I cook it on a drip pan it is much lower in fat and I control the sodium!
  • jlayney
    jlayney Posts: 22
    the best thing to do is go organic. pick up some lunch meat at whole foods or central market. you have to eat it within about 4 days of opening it- but it tastes a thousand times better than the kind with all the sodium. good luck!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Just beware that organic doesn't neccisarily mean healthy or low sodium/low fat, whatever. I agree with eating organic, but you still have to read labels.

I also usually cook enough to have leftovers and that's what I eat for lunch pretty much everyday.

Good luck!
  • jlayney
    jlayney Posts: 22
    Just beware that organic doesn't neccisarily mean healthy or low sodium/low fat, whatever. I agree with eating organic, but you still have to read labels.

I also usually cook enough to have leftovers and that's what I eat for lunch pretty much everyday.

Good luck!

this is true (good point), but the point i was trying to make is that whatever sodium is in there, occurs naturally. there isn't any added sodium for preservation's sake. and usually turkey or chicken lunch meants have less sodium than ham. i like applegate farms brand. :)
This discussion has been closed.