Giving Up

Options
So here I am in my third week as a user on MFP. I lost weight with no problem in the beginning. I am never overindulging, I am never far over my caloric intake, and I make sure to exercise at LEAST 3 times per week. WHY am I stuck at the same weight??? I know this is why I am where I am today. I tried in the past and when I didn't see the results of my hard work, I gave up.
Is there anyone out there with this problem now or who has been in my shoes?? What on earth did you do to jump start the weight loss again?? I am asking because I am this close to throwing in the towel... again.
And yes... I am a female. :sad:

Replies

• fightnxaggie
    Options
    I upped my water, upped my protein and tried to stay away from simple carbs. It could be that your body is adjusting. Don't give up, just give it one more week. I know that you can do it. :smile:
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks, that's amazing! It has taken me over 3 months to lose 10 lbs and I was very excited about the loss. You may need to adjust your caloric intake since you've lost a bit. Keep up the hard work and it will come off!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I lost 7 pounds the first month and almost nothing since, but I'm already in pretty good shape. Might just take a little time. Stay with it!
  • bcrozier
    bcrozier Posts: 15
    Options
    Make sure you are getting your proper rest as well
  • cassondra1370
    cassondra1370 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Three weeks is no time at all in the grand scheme. I say keep doing what your doing for a couple more weeks. If you still don't see results, THEN maybe you can think about changing it up. Also, I know the week before my period I usually don't lose (assuming you are a lady :). Stick with it... You can do it!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    not enough commitment for what results your looking for. work out more, eat right and youll get better results. its 30 times harder to lose than to gain lol
  • lizlovestrees
    lizlovestrees Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Have you tried switching up your workouts? I don't know if there's something wrong with me or what, but if I stick with the same foods and workouts I'll loose a couple pounds and then NOTHING! I have to keep changing, constantly. If it doesn't hurt, it's not working.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    not enough commitment for what results your looking for. work out more, eat right and youll get better results. its 30 times harder to lose than to gain lol

This. If you're ready to call it quits after just three weeks, you aren't going to make it all the way.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up or quit. I made mistakes and learned from them. I take one day at a time. I had to adjust my mind set and remember that this is a lifestyle change and not a race to lose the most in the fastest time. Slow weight loss is what stays off. You can do this, but you are the only one in the drivers seat. You have to decide that your health is the most important thing. Don't give up and you will see some changes on the scale. Also take your measurements. Some times when you don't see any change on the scale you will definitely see it in your measurements. Good luck to you.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    First of all, losing 8 lb in three weeks is impressive. Second, are you weighing your food on a food scale? If not, chances are you're eating more than you think.
  • Healthynut31
    Healthynut31 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I upped my water, upped my protein and tried to stay away from simple carbs. It could be that your body is adjusting. Don't give up, just give it one more week. I know that you can do it. :smile:

Thank you, I will try that!! I guess there is hope...
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Try to focus on the big picture and remind yourself that overeating isn't going to get you the results you're after, either. So, no point in going back to that, right? Don't be so quick to give up. Keep eating at a deficit and logging accurately, and the weight will come off. That's how it works.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    First of all, losing 8 lb in three weeks is impressive. Second, are you weighing your food on a food scale? If not, chances are you're eating more than you think.
    Thank you for responding, and yes, I measure and weigh EVERYTHING. and I mean everything. I even measure my sugar free jello. I don't know what I am doing wrong, when I am trying to do things so right. But thanks anyway.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    Try to focus on the big picture and remind yourself that overeating isn't going to get you the results you're after, either. So, no point in going back to that, right? Don't be so quick to give up. Keep eating at a deficit and logging accurately, and the weight will come off. That's how it works.

Thanks. I will try to keep this in mind.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I didn't give up or quit. I made mistakes and learned from them. I take one day at a time. I had to adjust my mind set and remember that this is a lifestyle change and not a race to lose the most in the fastest time. Slow weight loss is what stays off. You can do this, but you are the only one in the drivers seat. You have to decide that your health is the most important thing. Don't give up and you will see some changes on the scale. Also take your measurements. Some times when you don't see any change on the scale you will definitely see it in your measurements. Good luck to you.
    Thank you!! With sooo much weight lost, who am I to disagree with you!! :wink:
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it'll stall a bit, especially near/during your period. Just keep doing what you're doing, and it'll start again. Not everyone loses weight every week. I tend to lose in whooshes. I'll lose 3-4 pounds two weeks in a row and then nothing for a few weeks.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    Three weeks is no time at all in the grand scheme. I say keep doing what your doing for a couple more weeks. If you still don't see results, THEN maybe you can think about changing it up. Also, I know the week before my period I usually don't lose (assuming you are a lady :). Stick with it... You can do it!
    Thank you!! I will keep this in mind... and yes, I am a lady!! :wink:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding, and yes, I measure and weigh EVERYTHING. and I mean everything. I even measure my sugar free jello. I don't know what I am doing wrong, when I am trying to do things so right. But thanks anyway.

Seems like the only thing you're doing "wrong" is being impatient. Three weeks and you're ready to quit?
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    Make sure you are getting your proper rest as well
    I honestly didn't consider this so, thank you. Sometimes it just takes another persons knowledge. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarahrahi
    Sarahrahi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey hang in there! That's what i keep telling all my friends who start working out with a fervor but the first plateau they hit start considering quitting. Weight loss if undertaken correctly will yield you long lasting benefits. Which means exercise 6 days a week at least (if you need to shed weight over and above 30 lbs for instance), eat healthy and clean again for six days a week, and stay focused. Don't think of it as a quick fix. Its a lifestyle choice from hereon. You are committing to be healthier and slimmer and stay that way for the rest of your life. So having said that if you do feel like breaking your weighing machine after a couple of weeks, stay away from it and just stay committed to your program and ignore the beckoning of the scale. (its hard I know as initially that weighing scale is what keeps you motivated). Believe me when I tell you if you are putting in the work and the effort the weight will come off. And especially after a plateau it comes down in leaps and bounds. I have lost 10 kgs in four months. Which is not a rapid loss. It was about a lb each week. And some weeks nada. But I didn't care. As I knew it was coming off, if not now then the week after and so on. Also I would recommend measuring yourself one week and weighing yourself the next. Both are effective tools to monitor progress and you are probably shedding the inches more when you are shaving off weight. Good luck and don't give up :)