Moving Donations???

Options
pipinana
pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
I was wondering if you all could help me out a bit. My husband and I are in the process of moving from New Hampshire to Alaska. We're moving up there to homestead. Be self sufficient and live off the land.

We're planning a big 'farewell BBQ', and I suggested to my husband, that we have a donation can at the house - that way if someone wants to help us out they can. He didn't think that was a good idea. Like we were begging for help.

My thinking - if one of my friends were to start a great adventure like this, I'd want to help them out...

Any thoughts? Please be honest - I really don't want to upset any of my family members... =) Thanks in advance!

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you asked for honesty, that's tacky.
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    I think that it's an excellent idea! There's no pressure to help out because it's a can and all donations can be anonymous. I wouldn't take offense to that at all. I think that most people would be givingyou some type of a going away gift anyhow. Do it!
  • pipinana
    Options

LOL no, I really appreciate it!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I think that if someone wants to give you a gift to help you out - they'll do it without the can. I think the can is a bad idea.
  • pipinana
    Options
    I think that it's an excellent idea! There's no pressure to help out because it's a can and all donations can be anonymous. I wouldn't take offense to that at all. I think that most people would be givingyou some type of a going away gift anyhow. Do it!

=) Thanks Mel
  • pipinana
    Options
    I think that if someone wants to give you a gift to help you out - they'll do it without the can. I think the can is a bad idea.

true....
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good idea. Its like a going away present. Its almost the same as a house warming party. People bring gifts. I think people that would want to help will. There is no pressure involved.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options

I couldn't agree more...don't do it
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    This is actually very typical in my family, and many other families I know with a strong european connection.
    On many of the invitations to events there is a little note at the bottom that reads "presentation please", which implies that we would like a donation instead of a gift. You can get neat "money wells" or "money trees" at party supply stores for this as it is actually very common.
    We just had a 50th anniversary party for my in-laws and I put a "money tree" on the register table. It looks like one of those optic lights but at the end of each of the "arms" there is a little clip. We thought it would be a nice little extra something for the couple.

A can may seem tacky, but an official "money well or money tree" is cute and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. We do this at all wedding, anniversary, graduation, and moving away parties. I prefer this type of gift, because Im a busy person darn it and I don't have time to shop!
  • tubbytabbytales
    tubbytabbytales Posts: 5,883
    Options
    This is actually very typical in my family, and many other families I know with a strong european connection.
    On many of the invitations to events there is a little note at the bottom that reads "presentation please", which implies that we would like a donation instead of a gift. You can get neat "money wells" or "money trees" at party supply stores for this as it is actually very common.
    We just had a 50th anniversary party for my in-laws and I put a "money tree" on the register table. It looks like one of those optic lights but at the end of each of the "arms" there is a little clip. We thought it would be a nice little extra something for the couple.

A can may seem tacky, but an official "money well or money tree" is cute and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. We do this at all wedding, anniversary, graduation, and moving away parties. I prefer this type of gift, because Im a busy person darn it and I don't have time to shop!

ohhhhhhhhh! Yes I like the money tree idea!
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea. It may come across to your friends that you just invited them over to the BBQ just to get something from them. As others suggested, they know you're moving, and if it's on their heart to help you out, they would do it on their own initiative.
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options

I did the money tree at my house warming for people that could not buy anything on time.
  • pipinana
    Options

I've seen them at weddings and anniversary parties.... hmmmmmmmm
  • princesspurple
    Options
    what part of alaska are you moving to? I love alaska!
  • pipinana
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea. It may come across to your friends that you just invited them over to the BBQ just to get something from them. As others suggested, they know you're moving, and if it's on their heart to help you out, they would do it on their own initiative.

Good point... I didn't look at it like that!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options

I like this idea but I am still not brave enough to pull it off. I think that if they know you need help they will pull through for you. I wish you guys luck as this seems like a FUN adventure! You are braver than in just uping and moving that far. But Alaska is beautiful and I know it will be worth it!
  • LaurieB5578
    LaurieB5578 Posts: 1,297
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with leaving a can out. People can donate if they want and if they don't want to they can ignore the can.
  • pipinana
    Options
    what part of alaska are you moving to? I love alaska!

Honestly?? We aren't sure yet! I know, crazy! haha I was born and raised in Eagle River (outside of Anchorage), and my husband has only been there two times. So, we're going w/ enough cash to spend a few months going around the state; see where we want to spend the rest of our lives!

We've been looking in Palmer/Wasilla area, Fairbanks, and all the way down to Homer! LOL
  • Rubes
    Rubes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your family and friends. Have you ever been to a party like that within your circle of friends? How do you think your family would react? If you were going to your friend's goodbye BBQ and they had the same thing, how would you feel?
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is no. It would be different if you HAD to move due to a job or something else and needed the help. But it sounds like you are moving to be away and live a more simple life because you want to.