Warming up on the elliptical before running?

Options
Hey Guys,

Currently I've been trying to up how long I am able to run on the treadmill, with the goal of increasing the time and mileage I'm able to do. I generally warm up for 20 minutes on the elliptical (2 miles) and then switch over to the treadmill where I can currently run a little over 3 miles.

My question is, should I decrease the amount of time I warm up on the elliptical to increase my energy and mileage when I switch over to the treadmill? Or should I give up the warm up completely?

Replies

• runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i would imagine your 20 minutes on the elliptical is taking away from your energy during the run. i believe the typical warm up for running is to walk 5-10 minutes. if you really wanted to make sure you are super warmed up, you could walk for 5-10 minutes then lightly jog for 5 minutes, then stretch, and then run. the thought of all that exhausts me though. you're probably fine just walking for 5-10 minutes and/or lightly jogging before you begin running.

give it a shot a time or two and see if you're able to do more during the run.
  • muffinette14
    muffinette14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that does sound like too long of a warm up to me. Maybe just walk for about 5 minutes? For me personally it's more important to cool down and stretch afterwards, than to lose precious babysitter time by warming up.
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    usually my warm up before running is some dynamic stretching and about 5min of walking at a moderate pace to speed walking. then i'll start of my run by jogging and gradually increasing the pace until i hit my steady run pace. i dont think you need a 20 min warm up on the treadmill
  • pompom826
    pompom826 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the feedback! I will try 5-10 minutes of warming up and see if I'm able to increase my mileage.