struggling

Options
Hello, My name is Cathy, I'm new to this site and just started to enter my food and exercise, so far i'm not doing so well. I keep forgeting to log on and enter my food and exercise. I'm not unfamilar with diets, I've tried them all. how do you guys discapline yourselfs to keep on track? That is my downfall I have no discapline? Can anyone give me a little advice?

Replies

• cathybeto
    cathybeto Posts: 2
    Options
    :embarassed:
    Hello, My name is Cathy, I'm new to this site and just started to enter my food and exercise, so far i'm not doing so well. I keep forgeting to log on and enter my food and exercise. I'm not unfamilar with diets, I've tried them all. how do you guys discapline yourselfs to keep on track? That is my downfall I have no discapline? Can anyone give me a little advice?
  • camper2022
    camper2022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Cathy,
    It is hard to start a new habit! But as you keep going it will feel really strange if you miss a day! I plan my meals ahead of time and log them in...ie. the night before I will log my breakfast & lunch and then after my exercise I will know how much I can have for supper. Hope this helps! You can do it!
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I keep MFP up on my computer at all times, and since I will be on it to check email, go on facebook, or listen to music throughout the day, I have it right there to remind me to log in. Also, I just make sure I'm looking at the calories in my food and telling myself "remember to log this" while I'm preparing food. It took a couple weeks to consistently remember, but it becomes habit. :) Good luck to you!!
  • somafree
    somafree Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the app on on my android. Its easier to keep track while I'm at work, my days off are not so easy. If i don't feel like using my phone I'll jot down what i ate on a scrap of paper and put it in later.
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I guess what keeps me on track is my self-talk and being honest about what I'm doing. I used to tell myself the cheat was JUST for today, it wasn't so bad, I would start eating well next week, having _______ was OK, I would work out extra hard some other day, etc, etc.

Now I think before I eat- I still have treat days but I think about what my body needs, what my body will do with the food I eat (will it be digested and turn to sugar, is this feeding my cells or am I starving at a cellular level), etc.

I keep my exercise in check- am I getting enough exercise (twice a week is not enough), have I lifted weights or have I just been doing cardio?

When I feel myself trying to convince me that skipping a workout or eating whatever isn't so bad I stop and think about what I really get out of it- am I nourishing/taking care of myself, or am I cutting corners?

I'm not perfect at it, I've got a long way to go but I'm getting there and getting better at it bit by bit.

:)
  • kellyswitzer
    Options
    I use the app on my IPhone, which is always with me so I can log as I go. I also use an app to track all of my running and biking, Run Keeper, and it calculates the calories burned so I can put it right in my MFP app!
  • cnice321
    cnice321 Posts: 14
    Options
    Welcome, Cathy! I was very sporadic when I first started. It's a challenge to get used to logging foods especially with recipes with multiple ingredients. But once I used the recipes and my foods tabs to save things I have regularly, it's been easier. The best advice I can give is to set small goals. First I told myself I was going to get to the 5 day in a row mark. It does make you feel good when you see the post that you've logged so many days in a row. It has also made a big difference for me to add more friends and see them make their days. Keeps me motivated that if they can do it, so can I, and it gives you a reason to get on everyday to see how your network is progressing. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'd love to try to help you stay encouraged. It takes some getting used to and I'm only 20 days strong, but I am making much better choices than a month ago. I have faith that my results are going to get better as long as I stay the course. Good luck on your journey!
  • cnice321
    cnice321 Posts: 14
    Options
    Oh, and I have the app everywhere! Bookmarked it on my home and work laptop and have the apps on my phone and iPad. They all sync no matter which you use. Just like all change, it takes some adjustment, but you can make it work.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Hey there,

I keep MFP up on my computer at all times, and since I will be on it to check email, go on facebook, or listen to music throughout the day, I have it right there to remind me to log in. Also, I just make sure I'm looking at the calories in my food and telling myself "remember to log this" while I'm preparing food. It took a couple weeks to consistently remember, but it becomes habit. :) Good luck to you!!
    This, I always have MFP up on my computer and I make it a priority to log my foods before I eat. It gets easier as you go, using the tabs "most recent", "your recipes" etc. I also have the app on my phone if I"m out of the house. If I don't log I don't feel accountable for what I put in my body. Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • sabbrown40
    sabbrown40 Posts: 41
    Options
    Exactly what Cnice321 said!
  • arasky90
    arasky90 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello Cathy,
    I'm new here too. I had a cheat day two days ago and when I logged on how many more calories I had eaten I almost had a heart attack! It really made me think how much junk I was putting in my body just because I was frustrated or stressed out... Logging in what you eat is definitely the key so don't give up! You're not alone in this :)
  • lisamrevill
    Options
    Cathy,

I am new to the site too, 3 weeks now. I have lost 6 lbs and have logged food and exercise everyday. To be honest I thought I would have lost more, but slow and steady wins the race (I hope). logging in is a must, it makes you think about whether you really want that muffin!! Good luck and don't give up - I'm not going to
  • ctroxell2004
    Options
    I keep track on my android phone...it is super easy and after about a couple of weeks of doing every day (you mentally have you remember for a while)-it becomes habit.

COMMITT TO IT!!!

One tip I would give you would be to purchase a kitchen scale and ALWAYS measure everything out-
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i have been on here since last june! i have lost 70 pounds so far! it was not easy in the beginning but mfp friends are fantastic! i have over 300 but i find that i need them for support! i will send you a friend request so that we can give support & encouragement to each other! that is where i have found my motivation & logging skills! you will too once you get a few friends to give suggestions on how to make your goals come true!