can't sleep cause I dont eat?

Whenever I under-eat sometimes (sometimes I just forget to, or I dont feel hungry), I always end up not being able to sleep, waking up at like 3//4/5am and just staying awake for a couple hours and than trying hard to go back to sleep again... (Like now as I am typing this up lol!

Does this happen to anyone else and do you know the reasons for not being able to sleep? Obviously it has to do with nutrition but shouldn't I be tired and exhausted from not being properly fed, instead I have more energy?

Anything you say will help ...thanks guys :)

Replies

• mallowslow
    mallowslow Posts: 2
    Dude, the main reason why you can't sleep well because you are hungry. Try to eat your meal exactly everyday and you can have your sleep well.
  • shineyapple
    shineyapple Posts: 94 Member
    I dont think its because of hunger though! I dont want to eat I dont feel hunger I really think its something else! it's so frustrating though I woke up at 3am for no reason and now its 6:30 and still can't sleep :| I have to be up at 7am anyway...
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    You may be lacking food I agree... If I'm hungry I definitely won't sleep. Try and leave some of your calories about 30 minutes before bed and that should do the trick. Or, warm milk in the middle of the night if hungry helps too. I haven't resorted to this for a while though since I tend to prefer eating 30 mins before bed.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    If you are even semi regularly under eating, it can mess up your hunger signals. I would not overly rely on that as an indicator.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    This started happened to me every single day.. I wake up at three. I'm not sure if it's because I started skipping breakfast for IF or because I'm not exercising the same... plus got some new health stuff stressing me too. Fact is 3am I'm awake e v e r y b l o o d y day! I hate it. Was sleeping so well before. You probably don't live here otherwise we could chat then.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    I am the same way, but it doesn't matter about how much I eat. About twice a month, I'll just wake up around 2 and it would take me hours to get back to sleep, if I even went back to sleep.

There's a sleeping pill called Mid-Night. It only helps you fall asleep and is fast acting, it doesn't continually release like normal sleeping pills, so you can take it anytime in the middle of the night and now wake up grogy. You chew it so can just keep it on your night stand, no water needed and it taste minty like gum. I use that now and will fall back asleep within 15 minutes or so, it's been a lifesaver!
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    hmmm yeh i get this. cant fall asleep at night nd cant wake up in the morning. arrrck guk guk hate not being able to get to sleep
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    I have learnt that I can't sleep when I'm hungry. Even if I don't feel the hunger, I will feel the effects of not eating enough and it will keep me awake. I have to eat something to be able to sleep. In my opinion, under-eating definitely causes sleeplessness.
  • jaf320
    jaf320 Posts: 33 Member
    If you're undereating by any more than 200-300 cals (or what the heck, maybe for some people that is enough to trigger your dilemma) and waking up at night like this, you should definitely have a snack before bed. Carbs and a little fat should help with this a lot.